Start by marking “Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili” as Want to Read:
Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili

Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili

Published September 5th 2012 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about Elegantissima, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elegantissima

First Second Books
Louise Fili has been an inspiration for designers around the world since the 1980s, when she raised the bar on book cover design, creating close to two thousand jackets as art director for Pantheon Books. In 1989 Fili founded her own graphic design studio, Louise Fili Ltd, and branched out into the fields of restaurant and food packaging design. Her lavish and elegant typography, often hand drawn, helps advertise and market such well-known brands as Sarabeth’s, Bella Cucina, Jean-Georges, and Go ...more
Lichia
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most perfect books I've ever held in my hands, delicious from beginning to end. Louise Fili's attention to detail and design sensitivity is evident on every single page.
Jessica
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am slowly savoring this gorgeous, inspirational book. Louise Fili is such a creative genius and true talent that I may just forgive her snobbery towards NJ.
NZBook Girl
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you like elegant graphic design, and particularly lettering, Louise Fili is a great place to start. A monster book packed with examples of her work. I particularly liked the intro letter from her now-husband and great graphic design writer, Steven Heller. Again, I discovered Louise through following Jessica Hische - Louise was the one person smart enough to employ JH when she sent out a promo after leaving design school. I can see LF's influence in JH's work and this book filled in all the ga ...more
Jessica
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous. Louise Fili's designs are full of personality, and I loved reading the witty back stories. I thought this might just be a coffee table book that I flipped through now and then, but I ended up reading it cover-to-cover.
Bill Wells
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book about a great designer! What I found interesting is that you see sketches and she talks about the design process, rather than just being a catalog of her work. Some nice insights and humor.
Kathleen Bradshaw
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is everything the title promises — elegant. It makes me happy just to look at it. If you are a designer, or someone who appreciates genius in the arrangement of line, shape and color, you must get this book.
LOL_BOOKS
BEST MOVIE, SHOW, BOOK AND SONG OF THE YEAR? PICK ONE.

BOOK: LOL I GUESS PAPER GIRLS BY BRIAN K VAUGHAN AND CLIFF CHIANG. IL CLIFF CHIANG'S LINE QUALITY. I ALSO READ ELEGANTISSIMA BY LOUISE FILI WHICH IL'D.
Jesse

Beautiful.
Amanda Schutz
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-books
An excellent overview of Louise's work.
Emily
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2013
Jaw dropping beautiful design.
Q
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous typography - very inspiring.
Heather
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A truly beautiful book.
Stormy
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I feel I have found a new friend in typography and design. Yay.
Brian Sooy
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Louise's work is as delightful as she is in person. Aspiring type designers and lovers of type will enjoy her smart work, smart thinking, and gain insights into her sources of inspiration.
Whitney
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love and appreciate good design
Interesting and inspiring! A lovely read and a fantastic reference to keep on the shelf.
Cara Ellison
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lettering
Gorgeous, gorgeous lettering. Eleganissima is a book of pure inspiration.
Katya
Sep 11, 2018
Talal
Sep 17, 2018

• Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 1, 1628-1900)
  • Little Book of Lettering
  • Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
  • Designing Type
  • The Anatomy of Type
  • Sagmeister: Made You Look
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols
  • Type Matters!
  • Geometry of Design: Studies in Proportion and Composition
  • Pictorial Webster's: A Visual Dictionary of Curiosities
  • Naïve: Modernism and Folklore in Contemporary Graphic Design
  • Sign Painters
  • In Progress: See Inside a Lettering Artist's Sketchbook and Process, from Pencil to Vector
  • A Map of the World According to Illustrators and Storytellers
  • Pantone: The Twentieth Century in Color
  • An Illustrated Journey: Inspiration From the Private Art Journals of Traveling Artists, Illustrators and Designers
  • Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual