Start by marking “The Desolate Garden” as Want to Read:

The Desolate Garden

Only months before the murder of Lord Elliot Paterson, and his youngest son Edward, an address in Leningrad is discovered hidden in the ledgers of the family's Bank in Westminster, dating back to the 1930's. There is a spy in the family, but on whose side? His eldest son Harry is recruited into the British Secret Service to uncover the traitor. The Desolate Garden is a ...more
Published February 29th 2012 by New Generation Publishing (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Desolate Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Desolate Garden

Start your review of The Desolate Garden
Regina Puckett
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Mystery

I'm usually good at figuring out who did what but Mr. Kemp had me completely stumped. I actually screamed when the killer was revealed. Good show, Mr. Kemp. Good show.
Billierosie Billierosie
Its a thriller, its a murder mystery...its a tale of lies, spies, espionage and dark, disturbing family secrets; secrets that go back decades. Im talking about Daniel Kemps masterpiece, The Desolate Garden.

Harry Patersons father, Lord Paterson has been murdered. The police have ascertained when, and how, but no one knows why...money? Could be, the Paterson family are extremely wealthy.

Daniel Kemp writes in a very visual way; he provokes the readers imagination. I can see the opening scene as a
Julia Bell
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I read this story up to 33% and then had to convince myself that espionage stories are just not for me. When I was at school we read The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan and I was totally lost with the plot and didn't understand the story at all. I'm afraid it was the same with this story; I couldn't keep tags on the twists and turns.
Despite this I'm giving The Desolate Garden four stars as it was well written and the fact I didn't understand the plot is my problem. Perhaps if it's ever made
Dianne
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Is there a traitor in the family? Lord Harry Paterson is about to be thrust into a world of spies, political and financial machinations when the deaths of his father and brother come under investigation. Working with the British Secret Service, Harry will discover international and family skeletons buried in history, but he never imagined the twisted truth or how close the enemy would get.

Daniel Kemps THE DESOLATE GARDEN has it all, mystery, history, murder, espionage and
Roy Murry
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By Danny Kemp

Reviewed by R. Murry

Me, being the irrepressible confident soul that I am, I figuratively dived into the ruck and went searching for the ball. is a quote of the Honourable Harry Paterson at the beginning of this character driven suspense who-done-it novel. And it wasnt the butler who did it, as in many an English murder novel alludes to. As you can see by the spelling of honorable, I had to use an Oxford dictionary to read this book. Just kidding, the story was
Barry Stone
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a facebook friend of Danny Kemp's. Knowing somebody in 'real' life is of course different, but I've seen enough of Danny to know that I like him, I respect him, and that I and wish him well with this intelligent book (some of which went over my head!) Danny richly deserves his success.
I have one significant caveat regarding the text however, and I hope I don't upset Danny in saying it. Towards the end of the narrative a theme upon homosexuality and a link to spying comes in. It's set up
Kaye Kelly
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing

The murder of Lord Elliot Paterson and his youngest son Edward; the discovery of a Leningrad address hidden in the ledgers of the family bank. Are these events connected? It would seem so.
In an effort to unearth the traitor, Harry, Lord Elliots eldest son, is set up by a gorgeous young woman and roped into the British Secret Service. As family secrets are unveiled, Harry is drawn further and further into a tangled and violent web.
Plenty of twists and turns in this spy novel, which, I might add,
P.S. Winn
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sitting down with this book is like a stroll through history. It all begins when Lord Harry Paterson meets Judith Meadows and is thrust into a mystery thriller involving his late father Lord Elliot Paterson.Readers will find espionage, adventure and mystery winding through the story of a man and his past all started with a look at a ledger that doesn't quite seem on the up and up. The author does a great job telling a credible story with great characters. This is a great novel to sit down with ...more
I.C. Camilleri
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No wonder Desolate Garden was picked by a film producer! The plot is deep, fascinating and unpredictable, and the characters engaging and well drawn. It was not just luck; Mr Kemp had a well presented novel which the astute producer fully recognised and snapped up. Well done Mr. Kemp and I really hope that Desolate Garden gets the recognition it definitely deserves.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a British spy novel in the best sense of the word. We are taken through several generations of the Paterson family and their personal involvement in the world of espionage. The book is a thriller and keeps you wondering until the ending. Mr. Kemp also shares his sense of humor which keeps the story moving.

All in all, I truly enjoyed this novel.
Annemie
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the story and it was very well written so I was compelled to read on.
Roberta Cheadle
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harry Paterson's father, Lord Elliot Paterson, has been murdered and the British Secret Service are investigating the mysterious circumstances of his death. Under the guise of keeping him safe during the investigation, Harry is coerced into teaming up with a younger woman named Judith Meadows who is tasked with delving into his past and relationships with his father in order to uncover any potential leads or clues to his death. Harry reluctantly enters into this arrangement, but does not ...more
Roy Murry
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

By Danny Kemp

Reviewed by R. Murry

Me, being the irrepressible confident soul that I am, I figuratively dived into the ruck and went searching for the ball. is a quote of the Honourable Harry Paterson at the beginning of this character-driven suspense who-done-it novel. Moreover, it was not the butler who did it, as in many an English murder story alludes. As you can see by the spelling of honorable, I had to use an Oxford dictionary to read this book. Just kidding, the story
Ted Jonsson
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a fan of spy novels and thoroughly enjoyed this one. Whilst I noted editorial errors, this did not detract from my enjoyment of this complicated, but interesting story. In this case, complicated is good, as it best describes the plot. So, try to keep up, youll be glad you did. For those who do not understand much about the cold war, this may help you in your education. Im off to download the authors next book now. Thanks, Mr Kemp. ...more
Max Grande
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE DESOLATE GARDEN is an intense mystery/thriller. Me wife and I enjoyed this book together since it is not for the wee ones. I was lucky to get this book for free from Amazon during a giveaway. Excellent adult fiction.
Glenda Bixler
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
Learned much to understand today's political environment

Jim A
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new author for me. Not really used to his writing style. Will need to try another book to get used to it. A lot of background on the protagonist. A lot of information not really needed to tell the story. A lot of British English slang.
Michael Gallagher
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Desolate Garden by Danny Kemp Includes Surprisingly Touching Love Interests
The great thing about being a Brit writer is growing up in the class conscious environment that is Great Britain and having access to worlds peopled by characters representing their social class. Danny Kemps, The Desolate Garden, succeeds on many counts.
First and foremost, the stream-of-consciousness kind of inner monologue of the protagonist, Harry Paterson, peels away onion skin layers of character development for
Darlene Purcell
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would be fascinated to read a biography about Danny Kemp himself! Since his novel THE DESOLATE GARDEN is being FILMED this year, that is a possibility if it's a big success! (which we all believe it will be!)

How much this author must have seen and heard, experienced by the age of 63, as a Metropolitan Police officer who somehow ended up being arrested (and freed) for attempted murder. More recently (to present) spending his time behind the wheel in London as a taxi driver, the stories he could
Melvina Germain
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, it was like embarking on a journey, accompanied by the Author who took me by the hand and said, "sit here and watch". As each page unfolded vivid images walked slowly by and sometimes I could feel their breath on my face. While each character introduced themselves, I found myself repeating the pronunciation of their names. Little things intrigue me as well. I could smell the air, the booze lol, oh that scene was amazing. Oh I blushed a little but smiled too at the naughty ...more
J M Leitch
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Desolate Garden is a well-written, well-constructed spy novel about a complex multi-generational tale of espionage and murder. The suspense slowly builds, reaching a climax in the penultimate chapter with a neat denouement. From the very first page the author reveals, layer by layer, the rich characters of the two main protagonists as their relationship develops and the underlying sexual tension between them mounts.

I enjoyed the languid language and the sedate manner in which the plot
Jenni Steel
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found Desolate Garden well written. The contents and characters were well described, with twists and turns throughout the story. Two of the characters Lord Harry Paterson is trying to find the murderer of his father and Judy Meadows an investigator is helping Harry to unravel the pieces of information they have uncovered. The story is full of suspence it keeps you wanting to know more, with each page you turn.

I feel Mr D Kemp must have a good background to write with such depth. He has
Jack Sussek
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Tried very hard with this one; I wanted to like it and there were passages I liked very much but that was it, passages. After nearly 100 pages I put it down thinking I needed to take a rest from it. I may or may not pick it up again.
Joni Martins

Author: Daniel Kemp
Genre: Spy
Part of a series? No
Order in series: N/A
Best read after earlier books in series? N/A
Available: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Overall score:
I scored this book 4/5
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Short Summary of the book:
This book tells the complicated and entangled story of one family. Previously unknown family ties become known to Harry Paterson as he tries to find out who murdered his father and brother. Will he be
Lynelle Clark
I bought the book just after it was published and then by one stroke of luck win it during a competition at the beginning of the year. It is then that it landed on my TBR list.
I will admit it is tedious to read this story as it keeps on keeping on for long end at a time. This is not a normal spy story accompanied with action and mayhem along the way. This is a cosy story told from the perspective of a son who just lost his father and then brother at an unknown killer's hand. Through the
D. Peach
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written but exceedingly complex book. Set in the world of espionage, international intrigue, and political manipulations, it follows an investigation by Harry Patterson into the murders of his father and brother. Judith Meadows has been assigned to aid him, and the two of them make quite a pair. Their testy relationship adds some flavor to an otherwise cerebral read.

What do I mean by that? Between sections of expertly written dialog, the book is expository, relaying multiple
Gerri
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was supposed to be made into a movie, and I do hope that occurs, because it would be a movie that you would want to watch again and again. It's also a book you want to read again so you can pick up what you missed the first time through. This author has his own particular way he writes, and I can see some people might get annoyed, but I like his style.
This is a murder mystery, a spy thriller, as well as a huge amount of information about what occurs before the Russian revolution,
Janet A. Briscoe
Absent bridges

I like to have at least a small bridge when the story makes switches. This one makes a lot. I am not good at jigsaw puzzels. It took me pages and chapters to find a bridge to many new threads of new stories. I stayed with the book because it is well written. The author might want to find a way to correct some spelling--not much but enough to distract. Thank you for a new style of story telling for me.
Jack Kregas
2.0 out of 5 stars Too slow for my taste.
December 13, 2017
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
I could not get by 60 pages before I started to skim then after a hundred I gave up. Maybe it was too 'English' for me or maybe I never found myself caring about the characters except for hoping something would happen. Discussions jumping back and forth through history became boring. I read for entertainment and found none here.
Rita
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very Interesting Story!

This book was like no other I have read. The story was very descriptive and detailed. A lot of history was involved. I had to slow my reading to get the details which were so important to the story. I was taken by the ending. The author is great with details. I was very surprised at the outcome.
A Thank You Topic 1 1 Nov 22, 2017 10:30AM
Age. 3 7 Jan 31, 2013 12:49AM

• Incensa (The Quadrant, #1)
  • Valhalla Station (The SynCorp Saga: Empire Earth, #1)
  • Children of the White Star
  • Vanished
  • The 28th Gate: Volume 1
  • Gods of Blood and Bone (Seeds of Chaos, #1)
  • Eventide (Hode's Hill, #3)
  • Plague Wars: Infection Day: The First Trilogy: Three apocalyptic sci-fi technothriller adventures (Plague Wars Series Book 12)
  • Legacy of Hunger (Druid's Brooch #1)
  • The Queen and The Tower (The Nightcraft Quartet Book 1)
  • Shockwave (Star Kingdom #1)
  • Down and Out in Kathmandu (Adventures of Zelda Richardson #1)
  • Snowflake