Start by marking “Real Irish Food: 150 Classic Recipes from the Old Country” as Want to Read:
Real Irish Food: 150 Classic Recipes from the Old Country

Real Irish Food: 150 Classic Recipes from the Old Country

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
People in Ireland are sometimes mortified by what Americans think of as "Irish food". That's because the real thing is much subtler and more delicious than any platter of overcooked corned beef and mushy cabbage could ever be. Real Irish food is brown soda bread so moist it barely needs the yolk-yellow butter; fragrant apple tarts with tender, golden crusts; rich stews red ...more
Published November 21st 2012 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Real Irish Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Irish Food

Ran
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 640s, nonfiction
I really enjoyed this cookbook for Bowers' familial introductions and his Irish-American focus. I tried out the following recipes:

Porridge with Cream
Potato-Apple Cake
Creamed Rice
Hot Whiskey
Strawberry jam

And you know what? Most of these recipes came out pretty good. The slackers, largely the potato-apple cake and creamed rice, were largely my fault when I tried to improvise. I have so many
Sandra Lassiter
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Knowing I had friend coming for an extended visit who had visited Ireland and was actually getting ready to move over there, I bought this book to cook some real Irish food for them. I've always been interested in British cooking anyway, so I couldn't wait to dig into this cookbook. I nearly had to physically restrain her from stealing this book from me! Recipe after recipe was pointed out that they had enjoyed in Ireland, and the wonderful photos were nearly cried over. This book is a feast for ...more
Shannon
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Family lore said I had Irish ancestry. Well, I finally saw the evidence of such Irish roots with my own eyes. My great-great-great grandfather, John Hood, came here from Ireland in the 1800's. Further, his wife, Elizabeth, had Irish ancestry herself; her father was born in Ireland. They seem to have met and married in New York. Wow! Here's to the 1880 census!

In honor of this and in keeping with my making old family recipes over the last few months, I decided to pick up and read this great cookbo
Sherry
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Food is lovingly described, with reminiscences and overviews, so it really is a book to read. There are gorgeous photos of food and shops and countryside. I read a library copy, but plan to buy one for my own kitchen. Some of the foods are those my non-Irish mother made, just good country food. Some are particular to Ireland, I assume. These recipes are Minnesota-friendly, with the northern climate and short growing season. Berries, not melons, for example. I made colcannon this week, which will ...more
Anna Nesterovich
Feb 07, 2017 marked it as cookbook-on-trial
I wonder if reviews can be long enough to say something about every recipe.
p. 82 - 5 stars - Irish Seafood Chowder - I love this soup! It's not the same recipe I'm used to, but very good in its own way.
p. 108 - 4 stars - Stuffed Pork Chops - Tasty, but a lot of work and awkward to eat, maybe for guests :)
p. 244 - 5 stars - Creamed Rice - A very expensive way to cook rice porridge, but quite tasty.
p. 298 - 5 stars - Lemon Curd - Delicious! Need to write down this recipe, only I eventually had to
Cindy
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Gorgeous photos and fun, informative writing. When I started baking from it, though, I ran into trouble, and I'm a very experienced baker. The coffee cake fell flat and the Guinness cake called for a "9-inch pan" which must be way deeper than the American 2 inches. I used two pans and the cooking time was twice what it should have been (of course). This book is better for looking than cooking, in my experience. Maybe it's an Irish/American translation problem.
Joy Matteson
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I think a big part of me always knew that Irish food tasted better than what I've seen or heard people say. A lot of Irish food jokes about how terrible their food was made me sad to hear. But! This cookbook proves them all wrong. An amazing collection of true Irish food that looks incredible, and uses (for the most part) every day ingredients. Wish I owned it!
Argum
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, irish
Wonderful cook book. Easy to follow recipes with tasty results. Excellent selection and great organization. Authentic Irish recipes and great flavor of the culture mixed in with the recipes. Several recipes have received rave reviews on my first attempts.
Sallee
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book has many intriging recipes like Chocolate Guiness Cake and the Irish version of potato pancakes for starters. The pictures were beautiful and everything looked mouth watering. If you have Irish in your bloodline, this is a book you will like.
Ashley
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I liked looking through this book to see what people in the Irish culture ate however I wouldn't eat any of it myself. There were lots of great pictures of the Irish countryside but not a lot of pictures of food. I like to know what my food is supposed to look like...lol!
Leigh Austin
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a lovely book, written by an Irishman. Loads of historical and geographical tidbits.
Sherri
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Definitly worth adding to your cookbook corner of ethnic foods. Beautiful photos and commentary of each section and recipe itself. It shows how simple but delicious authentic Irish food is.
Maddy
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Lovely pictures and delicious recipes!
Now let's see if I can make them look like they do in the book :)
Arabesque
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A great Irish cookbook from someone who knows authentic Irish food!
Lynn
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the pictures and the narration but haven't tried any of the recipes yet. They look like they will be tasty.
Pat
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Nice little commentary before each recipe, also a beautiful photo for each. I haven't cooked anything yet , but it is tempting me.
Rani