Start by marking “Nemesis (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Nemesis (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #2)

Nemesis

(Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle #2)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  447 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A new threat looms on the horizon.
The long-awaited completion of Rath is approaching. The Dark Lord's plans to invade Dominaria will soon see fruition. Only the struggle for power in this artificial plane remains. Urza Planeswalker will not stop the Phyrexian empire.
Witness the creation of his nemesis.
Published February 1st 2000 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Nemesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nemesis

Scott Johnson
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, mtg
This was probably some of the strongest writing in this series in a while. There were fairly well-developed characters with believable motivations. There was actual peril where I had no idea who might make it through to the end; characters risked and lost things. Not all heroes triumphed, and everyone was changed in some way.

It's sad that such basic things are accomplishments, but you can't say any of these things about many ultra-popular series lately (looking at you, Twilight).
Zharel Anger
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A deviously dark read full of devastation and action. Forget about the story being in the world of MTG. Take this world and these characters as they are in this book alone.

The heroes are devastated or warped beyond moral recognition by a brilliantly written arch villian, Crovax, a vampire/cyborg who would take a village's elders and children hostage to demand allegiance from the adult population and then secretly kill off the hostages in cruel and unusual ways to drink in thier suffering souls.
Iain
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A decent entry in the Weatherlight/Dominaria saga that seems a bit out of place as it is set entirely on Rath and has no members of the Weatherlight crew (excepting some minor characters separated from the Weatheright in prior novels).

My biggest issue with the book is the way that both Greven il-Vec and a keynote Phyrexian Construct behave very differently then a reader of the series would expect. Greven bares little resemblance to his prior characterization, and the Phyrexian behaves nothing l
Philip Traum
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Honestly, this book turned out to be much better than I was expecting. I picked it out of a free book bin and decided to give it a chance in spite of a few faults which in another circumstance would have turned me off a book of this kind. These particular irks are the fact that it's part of a overly commercial franchise (Magic: the Gathering) and that it's the second tome in a trilogy I hadn't read at the time. I kept the book for almost a year or so before taking the decision to get rid of it, ...more
Chip Hunter
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Taking place at the same time as Mercadian Masques, NEMESIS chronicles the events on Rath after the Weatherlight escapes. Crovax and Ertai, left behind by Gerrard and Company, play spotlight roles in this book as they compete for the admiration and respect of Belbe (a great new Phyrexian character), who is to name the new evincar of Rath. The Rathi rebels, lead by Eldamari also play a significant role here, but the primary storyline revolves around the events at the Stronghold. The story is fair ...more
Michael T Bradley
Jul 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm just flying through these M:TG books because I'm not really enjoying them, sadly.

For this book we switch back to Rath, where some of the Weatherlight crew got trapped at the end of Rath & Storm, and we follow their story, along with the denizens of Rath. Ertai really comes into his own here, and basically the main plot becomes him vs. Crovax to become the new evincar of Rath (chosen by this weird clone-woman the Phyrexians have sent to speak for them). This actually SOUNDS fairly awesom
Kevin Glusing
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My friends and I have a soft spot for Ertai after reading about him in the Rath and Storm. The way Paul tied this story together for him had me practically in tears before I was done. It all made sense, but argh why did it have to happen?

Hopefully the above doesn't seem too spoilery, rather, I would hope it entices anybody reading this to give the book a good read. Crovax is likewise handled quite well in his relation to Greven, Volrath and Ertai. How they all play out with Belbe at the head of
Rocky Sunico
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've posted a full review of this book on my blog here:
Bradley
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
A gloriously dark read full of devastating action. The story rests well on its own and positively glows with the storyline of my favorite card game. Excellent book. =)
Andrew Webber
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
actually surprisingly good! ps i'm a big nerd
Shase Lindell
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
An adorable little love story.
Justin
Ivo
Dec 07, 2009
Mgmdc
Feb 21, 2010
  • Planeshift (Magic: The Gathering: Invasion Cycle, #2)
  • Mercadian Masques (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #1)
  • Bloodlines: The Story of Urza's Destiny (Magic: The Gathering: Artifacts Cycle, #4)
  • Prophecy (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #3)
  • Chainer's Torment (Magic: The Gathering: Odyssey Cycle, #2)
  • Rath and Storm (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #3)
  • The Eternal Ice (Magic: The Gathering: Ice Age Cycle, #2)
  • Planeswalker (Magic: The Gathering: Artifacts Cycle, #2)
  • Judgment (Magic: The Gathering: Odyssey Cycle, #3)
  • The Colors of Magic (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #4)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle (3 books)
  • Mercadian Masques (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #1)
  • Prophecy (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #3)