Start by marking “Nemesis” as Want to Read:
Nemesis

Nemesis

THE CODE BURIED IN A CENTURIES-OLD MANUSCRIPT…
From a remote Scottish mountain, Dr. Oliver Webb--one of the world's great physicists--is whisked away by a military helicopter and routed to the Mexican border. Along with the leading men of physics and one sexy atom smasher, Webb is given an impossible task: identify the asteroid--codename Nemesis--that is on course to collid
Published August 29th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Nemesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nemesis

Asghar Abbas
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it

Armageddon for people who can actually do Math and science.

Sexist and cliched though.

Featuring the tired trope of a sexy sidekick.
Ian
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Okay, so Bill Napier knows loads about Physics. Unfortunately, I don't - and having read this book, I'm none the wiser. A shame, because the premise for the story is okay - asteroid apparently having been deflected by the Russians to hit America, and a group of scientists being given the task to find it in time. But the writing style is appalling, every now and then he switches to present tense for no apparent reason, and the overly specific use of scientific and technical terms went straight ov ...more
Tommy
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is a new author for me. I found it hard to get into this book and I thought the author used to much technical jargon for my taste. Even though there was a twist at the end, I don't think I will read any more books by this author.
Richard Howard
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
If this is the most exciting book Arthur C. Clarke has read then I query his reading tastes. Good grief, what a turgid piece of misogynistic crap! Women only exist in this book to be ogled at and are referenced mostly according to their breasts. (There is one female character with any role beyond this and even she is constantly described in a voyeuristic fashion.) Beside the misogyny, there are unnecessary descriptions of food at moments of high tension and an obsession with smoking. Does every ...more
Ashish Jaituni
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The most exciting novel I have read! Lots of scientific details for a change and quite accurate too! A thriller which includes some fictional history, lots of science, politics and a conspiracy. A very good plot and well written! I loved reading the book.
Robert Gelms
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Look! Up In The Sky, It’s a Bird, It’s a Plane.
By Bob Gelms
This book review is not about Arthur C. Clarke, but I need to write about him for a bit because his giant shadow falls ever so lightly on Nemesis by Bill Napier.
Mr. Clarke has tens of millions of admirers all around the world and nearly all of them, as far as I can tell; think he is the greatest science fiction writer to have ever lived. I, in the spirit of full disclosure, am one of them. His opinion on anything carries the weight of
Jerry Mount
MaryAnn
So much potential

I give this book 3.5 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed the premise of the book and what it was about in general. On it's subject matter and the conspiracy that occurred, I would give it 4.5 stars and that's what kept me reading with interest until the end. My problem was that I really struggled with being able to follow exactly what was happening, where it was happening and what timeline was, and struggled with following the characters' introductions and involvement. The writing was j
Richard Howiler
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting but technical

I'm a relatively smart person but from the beginning I got bogged down with all the technical lingo. It did keep me in suspense as the title says and it builds as the story progresses. The Bible says that in the end times there will be an asteroid that will hit the earth and the level of destruction described in this book is something I never hope to see. I gave it four stars because of all the technical stuff.
Geryl D Gilbert
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astronomy with a twist!

While the book starts out somewhat slow and very technical in terms of astronomy , it begins to take shape and finally ends with a bang! The characters are extremely interesting, the storyline is excellent and the action is wonderful!
Ena Mann
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of this world!

Although I did not understand a lot of the scientific stuff in this story I still found it to be absorbing and I was unable to put it down. The characters were well described and interesting. The events were exciting. I will read more by this author
John
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quixotic but richly embroidered with gigantic science and great dialogue

Immense panorama. Umlimited characters to drive you into senseless plot acceptance. Unrealistic odessy but hell of a good read. Get it
anthony lanigan
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent thriller.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it had an excellent storyline throughout, with plenty of action spread through the story. The storyline was plausible and the detail of modern technology with the historical facets made the book very enjoyable.
June
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent enough read but there were flaws. The characters were well done.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started very slow and had a lot of technical details in it that were difficult to follow but once the plot got underway it was a very good read.
Roy moulder
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greatttttt

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Enough said. I believe you will also enjoy this book as much as I have.
Curtis Fry
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great
Helen
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Arthur c Clarke said it was an exciting book. Clearly as it was loudly proclaimed on the book cover. Mr Clarke must also enjoy watching paint dry. I am moving on.
Brian Kitchen
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it wasn't until I was a good way into this novel before I found out it was published in 1998. This explained why out of date technology was being used and defunct air travel services such as Concorde. I am not an astronomer and so found the equations and jargon very baffling and at times the plot seemed rather disjointed. Having said all that it wasn't a bad thriller, but I have read far, far better ones and was almost minded to give it three stars rather than four.
Des Hunt
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the story of an asteroid that Russians had somehow diverted so that it was aimed at the US. Only by finding lost manuscripts was disaster averted. I think I liked it enough to trya another one.
Josephine
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Josephine by: Rotary Gaint Book Fair
Kristin Lundgren
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, science
I might have read this book a number of years ago,since I was able to predict certain scenes, although maybe I just read too many thrillers? Anyway, this one was a good one, marred, to me, only by the extremely technical astronomical calculations inserted into the book. I under stand that's the writer's field, and that it gives a ring of authenticity, but since often at times, non-astronomers were in the audience for the discussion, I think it could have been dumbed down with less calculations a ...more
Ed
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to reading this novel after reading Arthur C. Clark's comment, "The most exciting book I have ever read." Not for me. Early in the book the science behind astronomy and asteroids bogged down the flow. Even for someone quite educated like myself, the terminology and science was advanced. But the last half of the book, moved along quickly and it was at this point i found myself really enjoying the story. But about half way through I almost put it down for good. I'm gla ...more
Katina stewart
Nov 10, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like thrillers
I thought the story was interesting but being a person not into science, it was hard for me to follow much of the technical writing--though I have to say he's pretty good about trying to explain to a lay person.
In the end, I have to say that I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would (after reading the 1st chapter), but it did take me twice as long to read it, as it normally would to read a book of this size.
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book revolves around Dr. Oliver Webb, a British physicist who is roped in to try and find an asteroid which is on a collision course with Earth.

Particularly at the start of the book there is a lot of techno-babble, presumably written in to show how clever the author is. For those who have little grounding in astronomy, it is boring and detracts from the story. Despite this, I enjoyed the start of the book but as the plot got sillier, I started to enjoy it less and less.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Snore, don't bother! Imagine Tom Clancy having one of those reaaaally long explanations of something in another one of those military conspiracy things, add a little Armageddon to it and a small helping of Angels and Demons. And you get a fairly boring read with a very improbable and silly plot twist at the end, that makes you go "Huh?". Sorry, put me to sleep several times...
Glen
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Found the book enjoyable, A little technical at times but when you are dealing with an Author who is first an Astronomer, Scientist and lecturer in this field and even has in real life an Asteriod named after him you can progress to the end. I like this type of book as it makes me want to know more about this great subject.. GC
Amanda
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't put this book down, was very reluctant every time I had to and would fall asleep reading because I just couldn't stop.
The beginning is very confusing until you get used to the perspective jumping around after that the only confusion is through not understanding the scientific and astrological jargon but it doesn't dampen the suspense at all.
Kelly Truelove
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone loving intelligent thrillers, fans of dan Brown
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely adored this book. I read this one every chance I got until it was finished, and immediately went looking to the author's other works hoping to find more like it. I love an intelligent thriller, especially one with a tight story line and interesting characters. This is definitely one that I'm talking about years later. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Kat
Nov 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
if you like astro-physics and/or math this is the book for you. I generally don't consider anything w/ complex formulas (no matter how made up) "light" reading material. I gave up about 1/3 of the way through the book and I always try to finish books to the end, no matter how awful I think they are.
  • Black Water
  • Two Sides of the Moon: Our Story of the Cold War Space Race
  • The Book of Kane
  • Undercover Sex Signals: A Guide For Guys
  • Sleipnir
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • Warrior Brood
  • Deathwing
  • Primary Target
  • Hellforged (Soul Drinkers, #5)
  • Black Tide