Start by marking “Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace” as Want to Read:
Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace

Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  416 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Marriage is a profound and marvelous mystery established by God for his glory-and that is for our good. So many marital relationships never reach their greatest potential because they have the fatal limitation of being focused on one another. When our focus is solely on God, our marriages have the potential to thrive and not merely survive.
Published April 7th 2006 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Love That Lasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love That Lasts

Lauren
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Reading for engagement class. This book is excellent. I found the chapters on roles very helpful. My natural reaction to some of the words used for feminine roles is rebellion. I found how they explained and discussed these areas encouraging and enlightening.

I'm particularly engaged by the chapters on communication. Why communicate; the various levels and types of communication and the overall driving purpose of communication. Amidst all of God's high order for what marriage is meant to be, ther
Stephen Escalera
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Most books I've read by Christian authors on love, romance and marriage fall into one of two categories. There are those books that are heavy on psychoanalysis with a dozen warm and fuzzy illustrations to get the few common sense points across. Unfortunately, these rely more on the illustrations than on Scriptural support, if any. These books are usually easy and perhaps quite fun to read, but in the end don't tell you anything you already didn't know or leave you wondering if its advice has any ...more
Alexis Neal
A fairly solid book on marriage from a biblical perspective. The Ricuccis walk through the biblical roles of husbands and wives, set out the benefits of good communication (and some common pitfalls), and offer practical advice for injecting romance into your relationship and improving your sex life (the two are connected by not necessarily synonymous). There wasn't much here that was terribly earth-shattering for me, though of course some of this stuff will be new to many readers. But if you've ...more
James
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is (to the best of my premarried knowledge) a good resource for building a God-honoring marriage. The book covers three topics. The first three chapters discuss God’s design and gender roles in marriage; the next three deal with communication and conflict; the last two are about romance and sex.

A Gospel-emphasis is evident in the instructions in this book. The authors often connect love, communication, forgiveness, and trust to the cross of Jesus. The largest part of the book was on co
Michael Ewert
It was a good book. Biblically sound without tackling anything too controversial or raw enough to get criticism. Tying in the relationship of Christ with his church to our relationship with our spouse well.
Tamara
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a practical book firmly rooted in the doctrines of the cross. Not many of the concepts were "new," per say, but if I hear them a lot it's probably because I NEED to hear them a lot. They cover the usual gambit of marriage topics, from roles to communication to conflict resolution to romance. The most enjoyable thing about the book to me (other than the grounding in Christ's work on the cross) was the evident humility and grace they write with. They sound like a couple I would want to cou ...more
Jimmy
Jul 22, 2011 added it
A refreshing read, quite insightful on what a Christ-centered marriage is suppose to look like. One aspect that I liked about the book is that it is authored by both the husband Gary Ricucci and his wife Betsy. Its always nice to read a book on marriage that is written coming from both perspective instead of solely the husband or the wife. The book is written from two decades worth (and counting!) of experience of living a godly marriage, so those who are engaged, newly weds and those having som ...more
Ryan
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was overall a good book on marriage. I would say in general that it is fairly typical of a lot of evangelical books on marriage, with strong points in its emphasis on communication and the role of community in general and a local church in particular in marriage. I appreciate the driving desire to be biblical in the approach and think that is achieved in general. There were a few places in the chapters on romance and sex where I think what they claimed as scriptural intention was simply the ...more
Jason Marianna
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
As marriage books go, it is above average. It's also somewhat cliché and a retread of what every Christian marriage book is going to tell you. But... it says it better than most.

My wife and I used it in our pre-marital counseling courses. I can't remember ever having an "Eureka!" moment while reading it nor do I recall it having a tremendous influence over my marriage. We read it, it wasn't disagreeable, it spurred some discussion... it was fine.
John
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I found the sequence of topics...doctrine, roles and relational application appropriate. I also enjoyed their writing style which made for an easily digestable read. I did, however, find the topical coverage rather surface level and the chapters quite disjointed. It needed heavy supplementing for any in depth study but an approachable and faithful reminder for Christian marriages.
Sara
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a good marriage book. I would recommend it to any engaged couple as their first read. Some of the ideas were covered in similar books we've read early on in our marriage, but it was a good refresher course and offered several new ideas. I liked the perspective the book was written from and how the gospel was woven throughout.
Coyle
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Meh. Not great, not terrible. Full of useful reflections on marriage, sex, romance, and love, but nothing earth-shaking. I suspect that this book is targeted at people who are either new Christians, or have been under poor teaching and just haven't thought marriage through (I am not under poor teaching, but I hadn't really thought it through, so to that extent the book was very useful).
Clemmentine77
This is a concise primer on marriage from a biblical perspective. It broadly covers the topics of roles, relationships, communication, conflict, sex, etc. It is a great springboard for further study in each of these areas.
Caitelen
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
We read this during our pre-marital counseling. It was a great book to go through with an older couple. It really helped to draw out some potential areas of conflict and helped us focus on preparing for marriage post-honeymoon phase.
Cindy
Oct 08, 2016 added it
A wonderful explanation of a biblical marriage. The book covers roles, intimacy, grace, conflict and romance. The authors have an enjoyable writing style. Recommended it for all married couples.
Peter Krol
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Good ideas and helpful principles, but the writing felt too "familiar." Almost as though the authors wanted the book to feel like a counseling session. But it's a book, and the counseling-session-feel kept distracting me from the content.
Amber Beasley
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Amber Beasley I didn't care much for this book. I liked a lot of it, but there was just too many points that I didn't agree with. they were kind of biased on certain subjects, and I just didn't see eye to eye with these authors.
Dana
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There should be an "always reading" option here. This book, next to the Bible itself, has served my marriage more than any other. I'm so thankful for the urgings towards the gospel of grace that resound in this book.
Jacqui
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian
If I was to compare Love that Lasts with When Sinners Say I do, I would still pick When Sinners Say I do. Easier to read, focuses on the gospel more. Love that Lasts is a good biblical guidebook on marriage and the Gospel is clearly expressed but I think Sinners... does it better.
nate
May 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read this out loud with Dallass. Great book, tons of practical help for marrieds, but would also be useful for singles looking toward marriage. I'm looking forward to reading this again now that we've been married longer and have met new challenges and matured more in our love.
Gerhard
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
A good read for any Christian married couple. It will bring you back to the basics and more and if you follow the advice you will have a better marriage. Just one more good read for all couples. Highly recommended.
High Pointe Baptist Church
One of the best all-around explanations of biblical teaching on marriage - communication, intimacy, gender roles, etc.
Matt Mason
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book I preferred over others for use in premarital counseling.
Bonnie
Apr 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
I can't even review this book, it just makes me too angry to even think about.
Brandon Bellinghausen
Good.
David Batten
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Probably the best book on marriage I have read to date
Sandi
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: half-read
I enjoy a book from both the husband and the wife. Good practical examples and illustrations.
Lindsay
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Practical marriage instruction based on Scripture coming from a couple who is vulnerable about their own weaknesses. A must-read especially while engaged!
Brock
Oct 02, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: family
3.2A - Family/Marriage
betsy
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend this for a biblical, applicable resource on marriage. This is one of the best books I have read on the topic thus far.
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation
  • For a Glory and a Covering: A Practical Theology of Marriage
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • Disciplines of a Godly Family
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross... Every Day
  • The Intimate Marriage
  • Quick Scripture Reference for Counseling
  • Each for the Other: Marriage as It's Meant to Be
“The role of a husband doesn’t begin at the altar—it begins with the atonement . . . at the cross.” 0 likes