Start by marking “The Worms of Kukumlima” as Want to Read:
The Worms of Kukumlima

The Worms of Kukumlima

Ronald accompanies his grandfather, the salami snap magnate, and the world famous explorer Sir Charles Pelicanstein, on an expedition to Africa to search for the intelligent worms of Kukumlina.
Published April 30th 1981 by Dutton Books for Young Readers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Worms of Kukumlima, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worms of Kukumlima

Elise
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book at least a dozen times and I will read it a dozen more. Hands down one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. READ THIS BOOK and smile at Mr. Pinkwater's gorgeous imagination :)
Justin
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth
My favorite book as a child. I spent hours upon hours daydreaming about being Ronald Donald Almondotter, having bizarre and hilarious adventures in the heart of Africa. Rereading it as an adult, I found it had more holes than a pound of swiss cheese, but as a kid it was pure magic.
Not A
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book came to me through the recommendations of the two smartest women i have ever met. They are both wonderful genius' who both read this book some time when they were around 11, or 13, or something-like-that years old; and they both credit it with so much of their success in life. This is a book I have to recommend to anyone around those ages, and to anyone who knows anyone around those ages. Because making life more interesting is important, and showing people how to make it more interest ...more
Scott
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is one of the greatest books by the greatest living writer.
Odd, quirky, bizarre, fun, eclectic...yep, it's a Pinkwater book. It's odd because this is one of his books that actually has a plot. No summary or review will do this book justice. If you're one of the oddballs that love Pinkwater then you've probably already read this book 20 times and you don't need to read my review. If you're one of the common people, the sheep, the majority that have no idea what I'm talking about...it's ok,
Mandy
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My first Daniel Pinkwater book. Hurray!

2/25/11 - Read it again, loved it just as much as the first time.
Ellice
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is classic Daniel Pinkwater--a crazy plot; eccentric, weird, and often clueless characters; and sentient giant earthworms. I have fond memories of this book from my childhood, and I wasn't at all disappointed re-reading it as an adult. If this book is not in print, it should be, and if it still isn't, you should find a second-hand copy and hand it to a child near you right now.
Allie
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vintage-gems
I love Daniel Pinkwater's work. So quirky, different and downright hilarious. His thinking is ALWAYS outside of the box. I wish he was my uncle. Is that strange?

One thing I love about his books is that I always learn random facts from them. For instance: did you know that the hyrax, while commonly mistaken for a rodent, is more closely related to an elephant?

Daniel Pinkwater is awesome. Daniel Pinkwater
Jill
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this book to my daughter. She thought it was kind of slow in the beginning, but picks up and becomes more interesting by the end. I would agree with that. It has a very imaginative--and silly-- plot and is often amusing. Not my favorite children's book, but worth a read.
Josh
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Even more great big goofy fun from Danile Pinkwater. Chess playing worms, rusting cargo planes, and elephant mice oh my!
Nathan
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
I'm not sure why I am adding this book but I remember reading it and loving it. Very inventive and probably the best of Pinkwater for my money.
Andrew
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes silly fiction
The people's names in this book were funny. Great book!
Beth
Aug 26, 2014
Courtney Williams
Jul 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that ...more