Start by marking “The Empowerment Tradition in American Social Work: A History” as Want to Read:
The Empowerment Tradition in American Social Work: A History

The Empowerment Tradition in American Social Work: A History

2.83  ·  Rating details ·  6 Ratings  ·  1 Review
Barbara Levy Simon argues that empowerment is only the latest term for a point of view that has been at the heart of social work since the 1890s. She presents the history of this tradition from 1893 to the present and explores the social movements, ideas, and beliefs that have been most influential in shaping its development.
Paperback
Published August 25th 1994 by Columbia University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Empowerment Tradition in American Social Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empowerment Tradition in American Social Work

Jessica
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: social workers, anyone curious about social work, insomniacs
I haven't gotten very far into this yet, but so far I really like it. I'm kind of peeved that I'm only reading this book now, in my last semester of social work school, and it wasn't even assigned to me or anything, I just found it on my own.

So far the first chapter is helping me clarify my own approach to this profession, which is that the goal of social work should *always* be empowerment. I really don't like this idea of social work as a "helping" profession. That's gross! I am not an especia
Adam Greenow
rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2015