Start by marking “Going Local in Gran Canaria: How to Turn a Holiday Destination Into a Home” as Want to Read:
Going Local in Gran Canaria: How to Turn a Holiday Destination Into a Home

Going Local in Gran Canaria: How to Turn a Holiday Destination Into a Home

Whether you’re visiting Gran Canaria courtesy of picking up a last-minute bargain break or planning to relocate there, Going Local in Gran Canaria is the book for you.

Covering everything from places to see on your holiday to property advice and career opportunities, Going Local is much more than a travel guide. New residents will be delighted by its accessible, humorous st
Published February 28th 2012 by Springtime Books

To ask other readers questions about Going Local in Gran Canaria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Local in Gran Canaria

Maggie Myklebust
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
'Going Local in Gran Canaria' is the type of book that would become dog-eared in a traveler's backpack or read feverishly by an expat moving to the island. It truly is a book that has something for everyone establishing residence or simply visiting. Matthew Hirtes manages to cover everything from starting a business and getting a mortgage to which restaurant to visit on a Saturday night, and how to get there.

The book is peppered with enjoyable stories that others have shared with the author of t
Jack Scott
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Going Local in Gran Canaria is the definitive guide for visitors and expats alike, covering all aspects of life in this semi-tropical Atlantic semi-paradise. The book is packed to the rafters with well-researched facts and fun, sites and scenes, eats and treats, must-dos and don't-dos, both on and off the well-beaten track. The entire package is delivered in a witty and erudite style from someone in the know, as is to be expected from a seasoned journalist of Matthew Hirtes' calibre. Amusing ane ...more
Alan Parks
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very thorough look at life in Gran Canaria, both as an expat living there, and for a tourist only there for a short stay. Matthew has included contacts for surfing lessons to Spanish conversation and the only thing he seems to have decided to exclude has been the contact details for the local veteran’s football team, and that is only due to Matthew’s already limited playing time. I completely understand having not been able to find a place to participate in my local area.
I have never visited
Linda Parkinson-Hardman
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love to read the tales of travellers, whether they live in the country or are just passing through, but with one caveat, I like my travel guide to be inspirational and to inspire me to want to try it for myself and this certainly does just that. Matthew breaks down the Island perfectly, and looks at what you can do as a short break tourist or someone who is planning to spend the rest of their life there. What he demonstrates is that there is literally ‘something for everyone’ on Gran Canaria.

I
Lindsay De Feliz
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I used to be an avid addict of guide books, until I stopped travelling, so I have read more than a few. Consequently, it was a breath of fresh air to read a guide book that delivers so much more than the average.
The fact that Matthew Hirtes is married to a lady from Gran Canaria gives the book an authentic flavour and an insider’s view, which is rarely found and that, together with evocative photographs and mini stories about the island from guest contributors, give “Going Local in Gran Canaria”
Jae
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Being totally unfamiliar with the Canary Islands and thinking I might give one of them a shot for next year's holiday, I came across this gem of a book, which has inspired me to put Gran Canaria on my list of must-dos. Now, I'm not aiming to set up home over there, but what I wanted was a guide that would get under the skin of the place - not just a picture book with a few sightseeing hints - and this does exactly that. More than that, the author's comfortable, confident voice means it's like si ...more
Paul Read
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having lived on the Spanish mainland for the last 18 years, you get to know when someone writes about your country from a point of fleeting interest, and when someone writes about it from a perspective of depth and insight. Mathew clearly belongs in the latter camp where he has not only written a unique guide to this fascinating island in the Canaries, but he has written it with an authentic voice.

For lets face it, these days facts and listings about any location can be downloaded from umpteen w
Borgegr