Start by marking “If Tomorrow Comes (Tracy Whitney, #1)” as Want to Read:
If Tomorrow Comes (Tracy Whitney, #1)

If Tomorrow Comes

(Tracy Whitney #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  60,824 ratings  ·  2,160 reviews
This is a story of intrigue and revenge. Tracy Whitney is young, beautiful and intelligent - and about to marry into wealth and glamour. Until, suddenly, she is betrayed, framed by a ruthless Mafia gang, abandoned by the man she loves. Only her ingenuity saves her and helps her fight back.
Published 1985 by William Morrow and Co., Inc.

To ask other readers questions about If Tomorrow Comes, please sign up.
Gautami Narkar It's brilliant! It's the book that got me hooked on to reading at 14. Enough said. :)
Sai The most intriguing author i have ever come across.A must read i would say.the plot is amazing.

·  60,824 ratings  ·  2,160 reviews

Start your review of If Tomorrow Comes (Tracy Whitney, #1)
Srikari
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good con!
Recommended to Srikari by: Bhavana Kashyap

I didn't think I should write a review owing to the fact that more than 1000s of reviews were written as to how awesome this book is but I had to point out and pour my heart out about so many things that I couldn't resist myself.

In the present day context, where women are being treated better than in the past, we come across books with female protagonists being entirely SPINELESS, super weak and helpless.

But this book, written around 1985, was able to really highlight the fact that women are not
Sai Satish Kandukuri
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
A true masterpiece from the master story teller Sidney Sheldon. I bet many book lovers would have this one in their favorite list. and its the most famous book by Sheldon. Also this one occupies the top 1 , listed terms of reader base. This is my third read of Sidney , first being Doomsday Conspiracy and the second Tell me your dreams. Undoubtedly If tomorrow comes is my new favorite of Sheldon. I have aplenty reasons to like this book and an iota amount of dislike though. This wasn’t at all bor ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
If Tomorrow Comes, Sidney Sheldon
If Tomorrow Comes is a 1985 crime fiction novel by American author Sidney Sheldon. It is a story portraying an ordinary woman who is framed by the Mafia, her subsequent quest for vengeance towards them and her later life as a con artist. The novel was adapted into a three-part TV miniseries with the same name in 1986, starring Madolyn Smith and Tom Berenger.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: هفتم ماه ژانویه سال 2002 میلادی
عنوان: اگر فردا بيايد؛ نویسنده: سیدنی شلدون؛ مترجم: محمد
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I've seen the miniseries If Tomorrow Comes several times and I have read this book many years ago. But I wanted to read this book again since I've planned to read the sequel by Tilly Bagshawe. It's just been a couple of months since I saw the miniseries last, so my memory is quite fresh when it comes to the story. I must confess that I do prefer the miniseries, but I still love this book and they have made a very good job with the miniseries because most of the story is there from the book. Of c ...more
Pang
Another my fave of Sidney Sheldon with impressive 4.8 Stars.

So Tricky.. this is what thief-ish book should be! I love reading the book with thief characters, but I have never read the book that have A LOT of clever robbering plans. The robberies are complicated and very-well planned. I really admire Sheldon of how he can think and create them.

Tracy and Jeff are such intelligent, smart, and sly characters and I love them! I also really enjoy the romance between these two. Tracy and Jeff are lik
Sumit RK
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Best of Sidney Sheldon.
Sapna
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
For what it is, it's brilliant. I read this book AGES ago, sometime in my teens. It was the first, and the best, of any Sidney Sheldon books I ever read. And though it is not a literary masterpiece, it is great. Revenge, heists, drama, romance, thrills...I still think it would be a box office hit if it was ever made into a Hollywood movie!
If you want a light, entertaining, read that will keep you on the edge of your seat and take you back to the 80's, this is your book. Perfect vacation reading!
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
Captivating and fast-paced.

I wish they make a new movie with Jennifer Lawrence playing Tracy.
Maliha Tabassum Tisha
HOW COULD I JUST FORGET TO ADD THIS ONE???!!!!
This is apparently the only book by Sidney Sheldon I've ever read in my life. I've no idea why that is so, bcoz I read it about five years ago and liked it a lot. :/
Alex
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finally a Sidney Sheldon novel that was really funny and enjoyable! I laughed a lot. Funny is not a word you associate with Sheldon novels. They can be dark, gloomy, thrilling, mysterious and lustful. This book was a bit different from his cliche'd works. Though it begins the usual way, i.e. a naive, innocent young girl gets into trouble, the rest of the novel is rather interesting. While the entire plot of the novel is deeply unrealistic I can say that it is truly entertaining.

When I started re
Sully (thysaltymar)
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, owned-books
"She was going to make them pay… Tomorrow, she thought. If tomorrow comes."

If Tomorrow Comes is a crime fiction novel by the Master of the Unexpected, Sidney Sheldon. It is a story about an ordinary woman who is ruthlessly framed by a mafia, her quest for vengeance towards them and then her struggles for a better life as a con artist.

This novel is definitely a thrilling and enjoyable read. Your mind will be blown away exactly how Tracy Whitney's life is drastically revolutionized in the course o
~IreneOust~
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Truly an oldie but a goodie! I read this years ago for the very first time & just reread it a few weeks ago. I remember being obsessed with the series that followed ...

Madolyn Smith (as Tracy) and Tom Berenger (as Jeff) in the 80s ... OMG!!! I feel OLD!!!

photo 1986_if_tomorrow_comes_sidney_sheldon_zps7642f1d0.jpg

I still own the series on VHS (!!!) from all those years ago and recently purchased it on DVD as well.

Awesome characters! Great story! Both [the book and the series] are a must for any Sidney Sheldon fan!

Crime Addict Sifat
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, idealistic Tracy Whitney is framed into a fifteen year sentence in an escape-proof penitentiary. With dazzling ingenuity she fights back to destroy the untouchable crime lords who put her there. With her intelligence and beauty as her only weapons, Tracy embarks on a series of extraordinary escapades that sweep her across the globe. In an explosive confrontation Tracy meets her equal in irresistible Jeff Stevens, whose past is as colorful as Tracy's. You would love this story, I bet.
prag ♻
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to prag ♻ by: one of my favorite teachers. Yes, I talk to teachers about books.
There are people I know irl who swear by this. For whom this is the best book they've ever read. I'm just really sorry they haven't ever experienced a Leigh Bardugo level book
Anesha †Curious & Obsessive Bookworm†
OMG!!!

I remember reading this book years ago!!!! Oh wow this brings back memory.

This book right here is what opened me up to the thrilling rush of angst, crime and deception!! No joke!! I use to rarely read to begin with. When i saw this book laying around, literally covered in dusk, i took it up, read the first page n didnt pick it back up for months!! I don't remember why I was pulled to it then but i was!

Tracy was it? She was a strong willed woman!! OMG I love how she went thru SO MUCH and d
Anh
Dec 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, hated
Well, Sidney Sheldon's style is not exactly my favorite but I thought it was passable, since it was the first Sheldon novel I read. At 16, I was new to this type of novels. 3 years later I read another book by Sheldon and didn't like it. I realized everything was so smooth, so predictable: the woman and the man were beautiful and successful and nothing went wrong for them. Happy ending for the criminals.

In short, there's nothing noticeable, the plots were so boring that the next thing you know i
Mada Linx
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had so much fun reading this, what a ride it has been. The ending made laugh, I have not expected such a clever ending.
Manugw
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
UTTER NONSENSE
Sheldon tried to create a plot consisting of a string of unrelated scams pulled by his heroine Tracy White, succeeding in all of them, certainly, this is very difficult to believe by a serious reader. The main character and heroine, Tracy White working for a man named Gunther, becomes a modern Robin Hood ripping off cardboard characters of unsavory reputations with no logical reason at all, just for the sake of doing. The so called story goes superbly fast and the scores of situati
Fabian {Councillor}
I found this book on my mother's book shelf and, already knowing the film, was very interested in also reading the book itself. It fascinated me much more than the films were able to, even despite the actors' stunning performances. The characters were well-developed, the plot was convincing, and the way the protagonist was turned into a criminal had her still left so likeable.

I know this book already has hundreds of reviews about how wonderful it is, but I can nothing but support those opinions.
Norain
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ah, here comes rolling in another author everyone, but me, thinks great. Not that I think they are bad, but maybe their style is just not meant for me. Or rather the style of that one particular book is not for me and it is just unfortunate that I have had to pick that instead of any of their other books. So to say that I don't like Sidney Sheldon when If Tomorrow Comes is the only book I have read, or Neil Gaiman when I have only read The Graveyard Book is unfair and untimely. I always give the ...more
Kathryn
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
*possible spoilers here* MUCH more likable characters in this book than in "Master of the Game". Tracy - a pretty, innocent young thing - tries to recover stolen property on the behalf of her mother (who killed herself in shame at letting herself be swindled out of her life savings). Before the first two chapters are over, Tracy's been framed, tricked into pleading guilty and then sentenced to fifteen years by a corrupt judge. Her rich fiancee dumps her to avoid associating with a felon (despite ...more
Avanthika
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The master of unexpected twists & turns, that's Sidney Shelton for you :D
Went on a interesting journey with Tracy Whitney :D Girl, you're amazing. I loved those pages where cute-innocent Tracy transformed herself into sexy-daring criminal :D Survival of the fittest, I call it.
I found myself following her like a shadow in prison, went to places with her to avenge on Joe Ramono, Anthony Orsatti & others. Gunther, Conrad Morgan, Ernestine - You people were icing on the cake ^_^
Jeff Stevens, I did f
Parva Chhantyal
This must be one of the best book by Sidney Sheldon. Very cleverly written. I really loved the adventure of Tracy Whitney. The book ended with possibility of part 2 coming out. I just wish it had :).
Eric
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is one of Sidney Sheldon's most exciting works; the story of the lovely female protagonist (as usual!), Tracy Whitney who bounces back against all conceivable odds to become a very successful...thief. Specialist in stealing expensive jewelry, largely. Her life is exciting earlier on, even though she only has an average job, and is about to get married to a respectable, comfortable man. But then disaster ensues as her mother is forced to commit suicide, and Tracy herself is ruthlessly framed
Jane Stewart
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Very entertaining.

The beginning was depressing. A lot of bad things happen to Tracy in jail. I was disappointed with the stupid things she did that landed her in jail. But after she got out of jail, the book really took off and was enjoyable. My favorite part was the way Tracy got revenge against mafia guys. After that I enjoyed watching her plan and pull off con jobs and thefts.

The audiobook narrator Nancy LaScala was good in parts, but not good in some ways. Sometimes her general narration voi
Thomas Strömquist
I was reminded of Sheldon's books through my "feed" here and thought I must add them! As I remember, these were the "50 shades" of their time. Not due to sexual content, even if these is some, but rather the ones you didn't mention reading, or the "guilty pleasures". Also known as: I read this even though I know it's trash"

I'm exaggerating of course, I would never read "50 shades".

But I was quite shocked realizing what amazing average ratings a lot of these books have! I should read them again
Zainab
I was oblivious to Sidney Sheldon's remarkable intelligence before reading this book.
I loved the protagonist's transformation from an innocent naïve woman to a pro-theif.
This was such a thrilling novel. Truly a masterpiece.
Bai
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Definitely an enjoyable read, if Tomorrow Comes tells us the story of Tracey Whitney; how her life changed drastically in the course of 24 hours, and how she went from a simple young girl to a diabolical con artist.

Spanning over America and Europe, Tracey's life is a memoir worth reading, of love, lust, despair and finally an unshakable will. And it is this strength of character, and her unflinching attitude in the face of life's 'lemons' that endears her to the readers.

If not one of Sheldon's b
Julia
You forgot some books, you hardly remember other, but some stay with you throughout your life! This is such a book for me. I raced all bookshops in order to find a hardcover and it was not so easy in my country but I managed it and now it's one of my most precious things.
Quite a good book with a catchy plot and mind blowing action.
I read it like ages ago and re-read several times, why haven't I rated it earlier? I wish I knew) lol
Lindsey
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty bad but not in the 5% of worst things I’ve ever read. Today it would totally be a self published book on Amazon but back in the 80’s it probably blew peoples minds.

I listened to this through Libby and the sound quality was so bad. The woman reading it sounded dead inside and had no inflection, but then would randomly do these awful accents that would be kind of jarring? However I started to get into the accents after she got out of jail because they were just insane! Travel
Young Readers: If Tommorow Comes - Sidney Sheldon 1 3 Jul 30, 2020 10:51PM
Play Book Tag: If Tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon - 5 stars 3 17 Sep 04, 2019 09:17AM
All Sidney Sheldon's Novels 7 45 Dec 25, 2018 04:50AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Intricate revenge for being set up by husband and sent to prison [s] 4 68 Oct 29, 2018 04:19PM
How is the book? 21 119 Nov 26, 2015 12:46PM
What`s your idea on Sidney sheldon`s Work? 61 259 Jun 19, 2014 07:50AM
Anyone know any books like this? 7 96 Mar 08, 2013 08:43AM

• Sidney Sheldon's Mistress of the Game
  • Sidney Sheldon's Angel of the Dark
  • Sidney Sheldon's After the Darkness
  • 2 States: The Story of My Marriage
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • Sidney Sheldon's The Tides of Memory
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
  • The 3 Mistakes of My Life
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • Sidney Sheldon’s The Silent Widow
  • Revolution 2020: Love, Corruption, Ambition
  • One Night at the Call Center
  • Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less
  • I Too Had a Love Story
  • Half Girlfriend
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007) was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist.

His TV works spanned a twenty-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling no

Tracy Whitney (3 books)
  • Chasing Tomorrow (Tracy Whitney #2)
  • Reckless (Tracy Whitney #3)