Start by marking “Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 1 & 2 (Game of Thrones Book, Book about HBO Series)” as Want to Read:

HBO's Game of Thrones reigns as cable's highest-rated series. This official companion book gives fans new ways to enter this fictional world and discover more about the beloved (and reviled) characters and the electrifying plotlines. Hundreds of set photos, production and costume designs, storyboards, and insider stories reveal how the show's creators translated George R. ...more
Published September 26th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published 2012)

Start your review of Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 1 & 2 (Game of Thrones Book, Book about HBO Series)
Jim
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Basically a glossy coffee-table book with general descriptions of the various individuals and backdrops of this complex and entertaining series. Careful not to present spoilers, the narrative is essentially observations from the writers and actors and director concerning the development of action and character, with comments from the author of the books and other, with concepts and fashion mixed it, and a little cheekiness besides. Fans of the series, and I consider myself one, will enjoy the pi ...more
Arielle Walker
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, visual
Great book, interesting read and the little insights into characters from the actors and writers is great, but I think there simply isn't quite... enough.
-Bookish Gal-
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Game of Thrones
"If a large part of your livelihood is adapting source material for the screen, you’re always on the lookout for deep characters, a beautifully crafted and compelling story, passion, violence, intrigue, humanity, and all the ambiguities that come with a fully realized world … and you never find them all in the same place. Except we did. It was exhilarating and terrifying. " - D. B. Weiss, Executive Producer & Head Writer, Game Of Thrones.

This line so aptly describes Martin' mammoth series A
Nermin
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Game of thrones, ASOIAF fans will probably enjoy it too
[image error]jaime photo jaime_zpsf0c25ae7.png

“There are no men like me.
Only me.”
—Jaime Lannister

___________________________________________

I think it was the spring of 2012 and one my friends was constantly telling me to watch a show called Game of Thrones. He said I'd like it since I was into fantasy. And I, in return, was telling him that I would watch it soon but it took me some months to fulfill that promise. One day i decided to watch the show partly to shut my friend up (sorry, i'm horrible, I know, if you are reading th
Ozana Ozzy
This is great guide book for fans or first time viewers of now mega popular HBO's show Game of Thrones based on fantastic saga Songs of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

Gorgeus cover with beautiful picturs of locations and actors, every part of Westeros and 7 Kingdoms are maped and described with some fact about filming and script what average viewer didn't know, for example how The great Wall is filmed and build for the show.

This book is great guide worth haveing just to enter to fabulous w
Teresa
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I found this serendipitously while at the library, and it has come handy because I just started watching season two and I get a bit lost with the genealogy some times. It focuses on the script, the production and the cast. I found it entertaining and useful, but so was the outstanding HBO website to resolve questions when I was getting confused with some characters. I have bought the first book of the series, but I am enjoying the TV show so much that I don't know when I might feel motivated to ...more
Thomas Edmund
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Inside HBO's Game of Thrones compiles, photos, interviews, background and all manner of behind the scenes type paraphernalia related to the awesome Game of Thrones TV series.

Fans of the TV series alone will find an enjoyable summary of characters and locales. Fans of the books will probably enjoy the insights from show creators and actors, into the characters. Reading this will not provide any further insight into the world than from the novels however, so only really recommended for truly devot
Jen (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
This was such a fantastic companion book. It contained background and history on the world, character profiles, summaries of the locations and the Houses, interviews with the cast and crew and beautiful photos and concept art illustrations.

While I wish there had been a little more content, I loved reading the actors’ thoughts on their own character and their relationship with other characters. I also particularly liked that the book provided further insights and extra details on how some of the
Sean Barrs
The houses are explained and the characters backgrounds mentioned. The pictures are of an excellent quality. That being said this book is of limited use to one who has read the series. The explanations are simple and are focused on the events of the first two seasons. This means that the characters, themselves, are defined as they were back then and not how they have grown.
This is the perfect companion book to the series if you have not read the books.
Melissa
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This beautiful book is filled with interesting production tidbits & delicious Kit Harington eye-candy. We're losers with no cable, so I may be the only person who has not yet seen the second season. My hankering is now even more powerful! And let's not even get started on my hankering for the sixth book, because, yeah, too depressing to even contemplate. ...more
Chesira Prado
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
BUE-NÍ-SI-MO.
Lyanndra Reads
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVED READING THIS ONE! I'm a huge A Song of Ice and Fire fan, both the books and the show, so of course I ended up enjoying this. It's got so many gorgeous illustrations, and I loved getting a behind the scenes look at the shows conceptualizaton. It was so interesting reading about where they got inspiration for the sets and the costumes, and it was fun reading about the insights of the producers, directors and actors on the show. Writers and executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are ...more
Christina
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Just started rewatching the series and decided to finally read this one. Beautiful photos and lots of character and costume and set insights.
Andy Hickman
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Inside HBO's Game of Thrones” by Bryan Cogman; preface by George R. R. Martin; foreword by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss (2012) - Seasons 1&2.

Great book. Captures so much of the essence of the novels and show. The insights from actors, directors, producers and crew are fantastic. Enjoyed this immensely.

- - -
“There is no more hazardous task in Hollywood than trying to make a popular or critically acclaimed book into a television series or feature film. Hollywood Boulevard is lined with the skulls
Kellie
HBO's adaptation of George R.R.Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series is, and I write this with no exaggeration whatsoever, a triumph, a feast for the eyes, a marvel in television production. The acting is first-rate as is the writing, set design and cinematography.

It wasn't too long ago, it was whispered about the film community that there was NO WAY Tolkein's "Lord of the Rings" masterpiece could be made into a live-action film. It was too long, there were too many various locations, the ex
Francis
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Initially I had some reserves about reading this book. The main reason is that I am such A Song of Ice and Fire fan that I didn’t want to lose any of the magic by finding out how some of the scenes were created (this is also why I haven’t watched any of the commentaries on the DVD’s). However, after I began reading, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The photographs chosen are stunning. Although each of the main Houses are given a brief description, most of the information is about how the set was d ...more
Brian
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably best for folks who love the series but haven't read the books on which it's based. Contents are very high quality, lots of well-done photos and enough text for a good weekend's reading. Collector's edition probably only really worth it for serious series/book nerds--like me.
Fats
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This is a good supplementary read for the first two seasons of the TV series. Not intended for those who have not seen the show. It includes character portraits, set-up and locations of the different parts of Westeros, interviews with the writers and actors, and GoT pictures on and off camera.
Tieta
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Lots of misspelled character name like "Alannis Harlow" and "Elia Martel" but forgivable, since the hi-res photos are awesome!
Samuel B.  Shaw
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but not enough costume/design to be a costume/design book nor enough character information to be a proper guide to the characters. Maybe split it into two books next time, HBO?
Kat
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, media-tie-in
Wonderful behind-the-scenes look at HBO's epic series. I love the different actors point of views on the show, adds some wonderful depth.
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and learned a lot about the writing and production of sessions 1 and 2 Game of Thrones,
Maria
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s really a beutiful looking book with lots of exciting pieces of information. It made me appreciate the show even more and I would definitely like to read something similar for the other seasons.
Having said that, it had also a series of inconsistencies and missing elements. For instance, for a show with spectacular titles centered around a map, I found it really weird to have absolutely no proper map of Westeros present in the book. Even G.R.R. Martin’s novels featured the map.
Also, it was
Viki Fröhlich
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I loved the behind the scenes stuff, but I'm unsure who this book was meant for. It has major spoilers for those who haven't seen the first two seasons, but it just isn't deep enough for those who have seen and enjoyed them. Seeing some cool pictures, hearing a few interesting thoughts and experiences about casting was basically it. I could mention the family histories, but I felt that those were kinda incomplete. I'd have loved to see a few pages on the general history of Weseros and Essos, and ...more
Anne Lydolf
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely worth a read for anyone interested in the A Song of Ice and Fire book series and/or the show. Beautiful set pictures, concept art and in-depth interviews with actors, set designers, producers and others who worked on the show, really brings another dimension to the whole universe.
Tom Sims
A great introduction to the world and characters of HBO's adaptation of George RR Martin's epic world of Game of Thrones. Good pictures and details of characters, language, scenery and how Television and a tight budget can create such a show. Interviews with cast and crew too. A recommended read for any fan of the show.
Rosemarie
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I'm a big fan of series, the book give you an inside view of all the characters and their backgrounds. It also give you an idea of how the set are build, show different locations and the designs of the costumes. It's a great book and the pictures are really wonderful. It's a must read.
Ari
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Quite informational, especially those family trees. Beautiful layout. I just wonder how it took four years for me to finish reading this. (This book is about season 1 and 2. I just watched the last episode of season 7 and then remembered that I have not finished this book. )
Catherine Petrini
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Nothing really new here, but it's fun to read the cast and crew's perspectives on the show, and the fantastic photographs earned an extra star.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 3 & 4
  • Game of Thrones: A Pop-Up Guide to Westeros
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Official Movie Guide
  • A Game Of Thrones preview
  • The Rough Guide to the Lord of the Rings: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Middle-Earth
  • A Game of Thrones: The Book of Ice and Fire RPG rulebook
  • The Art of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire (#1)
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Official Movie Guide
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Visual Companion
  • A Clash of Kings #1
  • A Clash Of Kings: The Game Of Thrones Rpg Supplement
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume One (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Visual Companion
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #2 (Wheel of Time, #4-6)
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Annual 2013