Start by marking “Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community” as Want to Read:
Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community

Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community

With roughly 95,000 blogs launched worldwide every 24 hours (BlogPulse), making a fledgling site stand out isn't easy. This authoritative handbook gives creative hopefuls a leg up. Joy Cho, of the award-winning Oh Joy!, offers expert advice on starting and growing a blog, from design and finance to overcoming blogger's block, attracting readers, and more. With a foreword f ...more
Published September 19th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published September 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blog, Inc., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blog, Inc.

Start your review of Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community
Loren
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-books
I've been blogging since 2004. I started as a mommy blogger on Livejournal, but then my writing life led me to RedRoom.com and my love of cemeteries steered me to WordPress. After all those years, I know the basics of setting up a blog and generating content, but I struggle with posting consistently and I'm a dilettante at design. I was hoping this book would provide the solutions to my lapses. It didn't.

It does, however, provide a lot of information about setting your blog up as a b
Ananya Juneja
Dec 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
So when I first started blogging (last month lol), someone recommended the the book Blog, Inc. and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Now I'm pretty good with technology and I've been pretty familiar with the NetWorld for many years. So for me, I didn't really get too much out of this book. It really goes into MANY current/past blogs that have done well and why the bloggers think they did well. This book is really geared to someone who is unfamiliar with blogs and social media. I really wa ...more
Margo
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Honestly more a 2.5, but I thought I'd be generous.

On the whole, it covers a blog's life from the very conception (or pre-conception?) through to making a full-time income from it.

Delving deeper.... well, it doesn't really.

Although published in 2012, some of the book is already quite outdated, though that's pretty typical of any book written about computers or the internet, in that they date exceedingly fast. Several of the blogger profiles featured have changed names and/or re-invented thems
Dena (Batch of Books)
It's okay. Nothing new. This is a good book if you're new to blogging and social media because it goes over things from the very beginning. Picking out a name, blogging platforms, and what to post. There are a lot of interviews with successful bloggers who share their experiences.
It's not what I was hoping for and it's nothing that you can't find in a few helpful articles online. However, if you're brand new to blogging, Blog, Inc will be a helpful book.

Content: clean

My blog: Batch
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا

I have been blogging for years now, the first blog was a mess, the second one an experiment, the third one was my first real attempt at blogging, I messed up a lot, learned a lot, and became well known, all in all Dana's Sanctuary will always hold a very sweet spot for me, but now that I'm working on my business venture, I need to study my steps better, this book is simply amazing.

Every question I had was answered, it raised in me new ideas and more questions as well, I recommend a small notebo
Melanie  Hilliard
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, this book got me so excited about blogging but then I had to accept, I'm lazy.
Kristin Antosz
A good resource if you're brand-spanking new to blogging, but you can skip this if you're a veteran blogger (there's not much new to take away if that's the case.)
Kelli Cooper
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good info, but the first half covered mostly basic things I didn’t need information on. The second half was more helpful given my prior knowledge.
Katie/Doing Dewey
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Summary: Mostly too basic or too advanced for me, but I still enjoyed how much it made me think.

This book starts you right at the beginning, with helpful advice for picking a blog topic, a title, and a blogging platform. While these are obviously things I already have, I still appreciated these sections. I thought the author had some great advice. She made me revisit a lot of my original choices to decide if I was still happy with them. I think we can all use that kind of prompting every onc
Marilyn Nimz
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was really excited to see that someone had finally written a good book about blogging. It doesn't seem like there are many other books out there written by bloggers that I follow and respect. That's why I was so thrilled when I saw that Joy Cho had come out with this book. I feel that it is the perfect extension of her blog and am so grateful that she would share this personal advice on how to get your blog up and running the proper way. The book is broken up really well into different categor ...more
Kerry
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh, the perkiness. Everything is gonna be just great. While one of this book's main points is about being authentic, this paper-cutter blogger's voice sounds like it's issued through clenched teeth--and I'm not specifically pointing to this author, but all who adopt this twinkle-toothed tone. I guess that works for people raking in success from their blogs, but it isn't authentic, not on anyone.

This book also seems outdated, even for 2012. Blogging was way out of the "Wild West" terr
Phoebe
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
A solid overview of blogs and blogging best practices. I'd recommend this quick read to beginners and to people looking to take their blog to the "next level." Also, nice touches with the many interviews with professional and hobby bloggers, with the overarching community-building focus, and with offering multiple measures of success (instead of simply defining success as related to money.) Good design and easy on the eyes. My reason for the three starts is that I, while I felt inspired and foun ...more
Amanda
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
While this book had tons of practical tips for bloggers, I definitely think most are of value to newer or aspiring bloggers rather than ones that have been in the game for awhile. I enjoyed some of their interviews, but for the most part, I already know most of the information in it. It was nice to have such a well-put together guide though, and it did help top inspire me to keep chugging along.
mistyprose
It's a good book for those who are completely clueless about the blogging world, as it provides detailed explanations about many blogging aspects. However, I already knew most of the things included in this book (online), but it was still intriguing to read the multiple interviews from successful bloggers.
Lisa
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend to anyone interested in starting a blog as a hobby or a business. Covers all the bases in a professional yet casual, friendly voice, and lists all the resources the author or the interviewees mention to assist you in creating and maintaining the best blog possible. Good to have on hand for future reference as your imagined blog becomes reality.
Maureen Flatley
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Terrific, comprehensive guide for anyone contemplating starting a blog
Adrianna
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-2013
As a new blogger all the information that Joy talks about was very useful. I liked reading about things that I would consider when writing on my blog.
Jerecho
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
It's an okay read. A nice reference in blogging and a great reminder in tax... 😊
Ashley Salisbury
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid resource book for those beginning the blogging life. Some areas did not go in as much depth as I had desired, but the interviews with current, full-time professional bloggers were spot on. Even if the chapter did not go into the depth of knowledge I desired, there are lots of resources listed for more information gathering. I will keep it on my shelf for future reference, but there will be no reason to read it in its entirety again.

The book basically read like a collection of b
Petri Launiainen
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a life-long geek, I may not have been the main target for this book, so I'd say that it probably is a good intro to this subject, but by no means an in-depth manual.

So if you are new to this subject, you get a bunch of basic data and real-life case studies.

The only new and valuable point I found was the suggestion to make the permalink of a blog entry easily accessible. In my setup, that would be the same as the address bar entry, except in one special case, so it make
Becki Iverson
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is short but punches far above its weight in terms of valuable content. I have been blogging long enough that I know 85% of this information already, but it was still a great refresher in best practices and filling in some gaps (especially for things like monetization). I sorely wish this book had existed 7 years ago when I first started my blog. This is a must-read for anyone wanting to build a brand online , whether for full-time or freelance.
Michaela Raschilla
Sep 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fic
note: I am a veteran blogger so this book was not for me. More than likely this is a great book to pick up if you have never blogged but want to start now. Unfortunately a good 75% of it was of no use to me. I did take some of the advise from the "for profit" section and I do feel the "resources" page was helpful but honestly for me it could have been broken down into a two sides page of a well formatted PDF.
Jon
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disclosure: I've never blogged and rarely read anyone else's blog.

The practical advice found in this book was good, but it was few and far between. Probably the most valuable section was on monetizing your blog. There were eighteen (!) 2-3 page interviews of different bloggers who have been successful. I did not find this very useful because they are almost all food/wedding/design type blogs. The rest of the book is mostly fluff.
Morgan
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a book for beginners. I already have a my blog and I wish I'd read this before launched, but now that I'm in it some of it was repetitive. That said the parts about copyright, business accounts and things were helpful. Its making me have to think ahead if I'm lucky enough to gain that kind of traction with my blog. So if you're interested in blogging and don't know much about it this is a good read for you.
Kabrina Jack
Lots of info!

This book wasn't bad, filled with a lot of great information, a lot of it i already knew, but it's in an easy to read format and makes perfect sense. It has interviews with bloggers sharing their stories as well as to the point information for setting up and growing your own blog!
Ashley Robinson
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
If you are brand new to blogging this is a great read. If you have done any blogging this book might not be for you. You might get a few tidbits and a few sites to look-up, but most of it you are probably already doing.

Joy has a great conversational way of writing and the book is enjoyable to read. The interviews are insightful and just fun to see what other bloggers are doing.
Amy Ballard
This was a helpful energizer for me as an intermediate blogger. It taught me some tricks I didn't know before, and I enjoyed the interviews with successful bloggers. It was fun getting different perspectives and seeing some of the topics other people blog about. Blog, Inc. would be a great book for a newbie blogger.
Jenna
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't remember why I chose to buy this book. It must have been recommended. It's not a bad book but it was far below the level I am at. I ended up skimming most of it as I already knew what she was writing about. This is aimed at people who have never blogged.
Syrena
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great intro for the beginning blogger. Although I feel some info could use updating from the 6 years since its publication. Some of the featured blogs are no longer around or have phased into larger websites, lacking the personal feel of a traditional blog, but successful nonetheless.
Wicked
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, Joy manages to break technobabble like RSS, bounce rate and SEO's down into English so that even the worst technologically illiterate luddite like myself can understand. A very useful book that I expect I am going to need to buy!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Blogging 1 1 Dec 18, 2016 10:57AM
New Blog 1 1 Aug 29, 2015 03:29PM
Share your Blogs!: My blog.... Its new!!!! 3 13 Jun 13, 2013 01:52PM

• Born to Blog: Building Your Blog for Personal and Business Success One Post at a Time
  • ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
  • Creative, Inc.: The Ultimate Guide to Running a Successful Freelance Business
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • Do What Feels Good: Recipes, Remedies, and Routines to Treat Your Body Right
  • Content Inc.: How Entrepreneurs Use Content to Build Massive Audiences and Create Radically Successful Businesses
  • Love in my Language
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • Twelve Women of the Bible Study Guide: Life-Changing Stories for Women Today
  • Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing
  • The Whole30 Cookbook: 150 Delicious and Totally Compliant Recipes to Help You Succeed with the Whole30 and Beyond
  • Windows on the World Complete Wine Course
  • Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style
  • Milk Street: Tuesday Nights: More than 200 Simple Weeknight Suppers that Deliver Bold Flavor, Fast
  • Exist No More: The Art of Squeezing The Most Out of Life
  • Whole New You: How Real Food Transforms Your Life, for a Healthier, More Gorgeous You: A Cookbook
  • Back Pocket Pasta: Inspired Dinners to Cook on the Fly: A Cookbook