Start by marking “Every Little Thing: Based on the song 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley” as Want to Read:
Every Little Thing: Based on the song 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley

Every Little Thing: Based on the song 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  403 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Bob Marley's songs are known the world over for their powerful message of love, peace, and harmony. Now a whole new generation can discover one of his most joyous songs in this reassuring picture book adaptation written by his daughter Cedella and exuberantly illustrated by Vanessa Brantley-Newton. This upbeat story reminds children that the sun will always come out after ...more
Published September 12th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published August 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Every Little Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Little Thing

Cindy Hudson
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From Bob Marley’s daughter Cedella, comes a new picture book based on her father’s song “Three Little Birds.” The message repeating over and over in the song is “Don’t worry about a thing, ‘cause every little thing is gonna be all right.” The same is true for the book, which is titled Every Little Thing.

A boy rises in the morning to great a new day, with three little birds on his doorstep leading the way. The birds are there when he sees someone sitting alone on a swing at the playground, so the
Barbara
Based on the life-affirming song by Bob Marley, this picture book reminds readers that things will be all right, especially with a little encouragement from those around you. Even though everyone has something in their lives that troubles them, there is always a new day and a new start. The positive message carries over even when the book's protagonist makes a mistake and receives reassurance from his famiy members that they forgive him for making such a mess. Young readers will enjoy watching t ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Based on her late father's song, "Three Little Birds", Cedella Marley's Every Little Thing is a catchy, upbeat, happy read. This is one of those books that is just plain fun to read. It's one that puts a smile on your face, and one both of my kids and I loved. The illustrations that accompany Cedella's words are vibrant, brightly colored pictures that add to the cheerfulness of this must have book. I love that this book can be read or sung. If Cedella's goal was to bring happiness and cheer to t ...more
Meredith
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-fiction
Another great read-aloud with vivid illustrations by Cedella Marley.I read this to my kindergarten students and the words and music (I played a version of the song as well for a second reading) stuck in their heads. They engaged in good conversation and sharing of ideas on how to change their day around/ not to worry when things don't go well.

Tricia
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evie
This song is the inspiration for the three little birds tattooed on my chest, so of course I love this book/song and was so happy to share it with Evie. I just got it from the library today and she has requested it over and over!
paula
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't care if you are Bob's daughter, I think nobody gets to touch the lyrics to Three Little Birds.
Yagyrlr
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only way to read this book is by singing it!! We LOVE this book
Tina Andrade
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Marley, C., & BrantleyNewton, V., (2012). Every Little Thing. San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books.

No review source necessary.

Picture Book Soak. (One more that caught my attention.)

Every Little Thing, was adapted by Cedella Marley, Bob Marley’s oldest child. It is the lyrics to Bob Marley’s famous song, “Three Little Birds.” The vividly bright and beautiful illustrations were by Vanessa Brantley-Newton. This book would put you in a good mood and get you singing those catchy lyrics, guaranteed
Caitlin
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is the words to the song Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. The words stress that when things are great and fun or sometimes not how we want them to be, everything will be alright. I am excited to include this book in my text set because I think the motto "everything will be alright" will be helpful for my classroom culture. The book has beautiful colorful pictures and features an African American boy who plays lots of the same games as kids in my class. I think these features will make ...more
Lule
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: song-book, songs
1) No awards received.

2) Appropriate for Pre-K through second.

3) The story is a rendition of "Three Little Birds" song by Bob Marley. There is a positive message throughout the book that everyone makes mistakes and the sun will always shine even on the bad days!

4) Besides the feel good experience in the classroom the children will feel, but they will be able to relate their own life experiences with this story in a calm, stress-free way. The majority of children that will come through the classr
Kimberly
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of my very favorite songs is Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. I started singing it to my daughter when she was a tiny little baby and now she always asks me to sing it to her when she is frustrated or upset.The lyrics quickly calm her down and she often joins in on the chorus. When I spotted this book one day at a school book fair, I most definitely was excited! It includes the chorus from the popular song, but Bob's daughter Cedella also came up with some great lyrics just for kids. It fol ...more
Danielle Rang
Nov 06, 2016 added it
Shelves: d-songs
1. No awards
2. Preschool- grade 3
3. This book is an adaptation of Bob Marley's song, "Three Little Birds." The story tells of a young boy who overcomes obstacles, and nothing can get him down. The boy's day cannot be ruined as long as he has his three little birds with him.
4. This story makes the classic heartwarming song by Bob Marley accessible to young children. With colorful illustrates to fit the song, it gives children a positive message about remaining positive.
5. This book can be used
Kristen
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every Little Thing by Cedella Marley is a upbeat song containing a powerful underling message of love and peace. The main character is a boy who refuses to be brought down emotionally. The picture book takes children on a story where three little birds lead him along for the day. The language can be connected to more that just the book and the new added lyrics provide opportunities for students to create their own lyrics reflecting love, friendship or peace.

"Don't worry about a thing
cause every
ZebraPrintRocks
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I remember how much I loved read-a-long cassette tape books when I was a child, so I jumped at the chance to "sing-a-long" when reading this wonderful book with my daughter. It is one we will read a few times, and then a few times more. Great message, great illustrations and I really enjoyed the adaptations made to make it very kid relatable and appropriate. My daughter really enjoyed singing this with me. Needless to say, we both have heard the song this book was adapted from more than a few ti ...more
Samantha
An adaptation of Bob Marley's song "Three Little Birds." Each page is powerful, encouraging, and uplifting which makes it a fun read aloud. Mixed media artwork is a feast for the eyes. It is rich in color and texture and fun details that can be picked up with several re-readings.

I was hoping this book would have a CD included with it, but this doesn't detract from this book's greatness.

An author's note follows the story and gives a few details about Marley's childhood and the way this song has
Melissa
Exuberant illustrations, wonderful details throughout, from the interplay between the cat and the birds, to the boy wearing a Marley T shirt. I liked that one page showed the mom singing and playing a guitar, a nice note in a book based on a song. I do wish that the new verses were a little more closely fit to simple language and steady beat of the original, and that the situations depicted weren't so cliched.
Nicholle
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Adaptation of the wonderful song by Bob Marley's daughter Cedella Marley, with new verses that reflect a child's experiences from the start to end of a day. Great sing along potential for a storytime, if the participants are taught the chorus from the get go. The illustrations are wonderful, and reflect friendship and a loving family.
Elizabeth
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a little hard to read because it's derived from the song, and the extra verses don't quite work if you're singing (plus I don't really sing). But the pictures are so good, my kids wouldn't care if it had no words at all. They especially like the verse about everybody making mistakes. Really beautiful and accessible to kids.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Bright cheerful artwork by Vanessa Brantley-Newton weaves in and out of Bob Marley's upbeat words in this book by Cedella Marley.

I really think though to get the most out of this book that you need to share Bob's song, "Three Little Birds". Otherwise the cadence and the message will be missing something.

Pam T~

--review copy

Saba N  Taylor
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful way to introduce children to Jamaican music and culture. This song has a wonderful message that children need today. There are so many obstacles today that make it hard for children to have a carefree, stress-free life. But with the love, support and encouragement of family and friends, nothing will keep them down forever.
Monique
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
This story is adapted from Bob Marley's song, Three Little Birds. A tale of the hope that the love of family will give you. The illustrations are colorful and will give hours of enjoyment for young kids. 4 stars
Elisabeth
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can't imagine a more uplifting book and the adaptation so the message will make sense in a little one's world seriously brought tears to my eyes. The details with homage to Bob make this book just that more awesome.
The Library Lady
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations and message are great. However, the additional verses don't fit the tune any way shape or form. And the song cadences make this too choppy to read out loud. Not what it could have been.
Isabella
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has been one of my favorite songs for most of my life so the opportunity to read it as a story book to my daughter was something I had to jump on :) There is a lot to worry about these days, I appreciate this book and song for its message to her.
Whole And
A sweet and pure visual and musical journey through Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds." Thoroughly enjoyed the book which has made the original song more meaningful to us when we play it. Cedella Marley has found a beautiful way to keep Bob Marley's message and essence alive.
Adam Boehmer
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Three little birds help encourage a boy throughout the story as he goes throughout his day. A writing activity for this book could be having the kids write encouraging letters to one another. This could be good for building up a classroom community.
Maureen
May 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Based on the Bob Marley song, this book adds cute, kid-friendly pictures to the words. The added text to make the song into more of a story doesn't always flow quite as well as the song alone. Over all a cute idea but not the best book ever.
Bill
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare books that falls into your hands just when you need it most. I've long been a fan of Bob Marley's music, and to have this charming song interpreted by his daughter Cedella.

It is helping me at a rather rough point in my life, so I fully admit to a certain level of bias.
Laura Siegel
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, childrens
Beautifully illustrated book using the lyrics of a Bob Marley song. Written by his daughter. Teaches sharing, kindness, and faith that things will work out.
Heather Jo
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
  • One Love
  • Machines Go to Work in the City
  • All God's Critters Got a Place in the Choir (w.t.)
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • You Are Stardust
  • Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman
  • Eggs, 1, 2, 3: Who Will The Babies Be?
  • Draw What You See: The Life and Art of Benny Andrews
  • Brave Squish Rabbit
  • Hide and Seek
  • If You Were a Panda Bear
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • An Awesome Book of Love!
Robert "Bob" Nesta Marley OM was a Jamaican singer, songwriter, guitarist, and activist. He was the frontman, lead singer, songwriter and guitarist for the ska, rocksteady and reggae bands: The Wailers (1964 – 1974) and Bob Marley & the Wailers (1974 - 1981). He is the most widely known performer of ska/reggae music, and is often credited for helping spread Jamaican music to the worldwide audi ...more
More about Bob Marley