Start by marking “Good News, Bad News” as Want to Read:
Good News, Bad News

Good News, Bad News

Good news, Rabbit and Mouse are going on a picnic. Bad news, it is starting to rain. Good news, Rabbit has an umbrella. Bad news, the stormy winds blow the umbrella (and Mouse!) into a tree.

So begins this clever story about two friends with very different dispositions. Using just four words, Jeff Mack has created a text with remarkable flair that is both funny and touching
Published July 4th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Good News, Bad News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good News, Bad News

Ronyell
Good

I have read many children’s books that have like one or two words on each page to narrate the story. But, I had never read a children’s book quite like “Good News Bad News” by Jeff Mack that not only has four words on each page, but also conveys so much emotion and humor in this simple children’s story!

The story starts off with Rabbit pronouncing “Good News!” to Mouse as he shows him the picnic basket that they are going to eat out of for their picnic. Mouse then pronounces “Bad News” when it st
Kate
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Light on text is an understatement. This books makes the majority of its point through images with only one move away from "good news, bad news." The story's simple enough for a storytime group, even one where the children don't know the language. It could be read entirely in the new language and children would quickly pick up the text and understand the meaning. This could also be read as a call and response. The story ends up espousing nice themes of friendship and positive thinking. Too cute.
Michelle Nero
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Good news - not too many words! Bad news -- the worst that can happen happens! Good news -- they work it out!
Betsy
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sccftb
LOVE this book... Possible themes/curricular connections: Glass half empty/full, optimist/pessimist, character ed., rose colored glasses, balance, friendship.
Cheryl
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
That's not a mouse, but a rat, looks just like Templeton. Too bad there's no author's note, but this is clearly inspired by a traditional tale that I've seen most often in anthologies of Chinese fables. (Or maybe Mack created it as a sort of universal motif.) I've also seen it in an older book, Fortunately. But this book is a nice treatment and it's an important theme, so I do hope children and educators enjoy this together.
Kristina
Todos conocemos a alguien quien es nuestras buenas noticias, que nos enseña que todo tiene un lado amable o positivo, tal y como este conejito:

Elaine
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
For Mo Willems fans
Andrew
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-vine
The good news is that this book is brilliant and funny. The bad news is…ummm…let’s see…nope, can’t think of any bad news! This book only uses four different words, but those four words, combined with the terrific artwork, manage to convey an entertaining story about a picnic gone terribly wrong. Because so much of the story is told through the images, it should be completely accessible to even the youngest children.

The story also carries a subtle message about the merits of optimism and pessimis
Jordyn Styskal
1. Opening:
The title of the book we are reading today is called Good News, Bad News by Jeff Mack. Thinking of the title and looking at the cover, I want you to brainstorm some ideas and predict what you think this book is going to be about. Remember, our school motto is “Pawsitive Pride” so think about being responsible, being respectful, and being safe.

2. Opening moves:
Prompt predictions based on the title, raise interest in a topic or theme, raise questions to spark curiosity, draw attention
Mari Miyagi
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although this story is very simple, I gave 4 stars because it can inspire students to create a variety of stories on their own. All of the pages just say either "good news" or "bad news" and the pictures explain what the good news/bad news is without words. It is perfect for students including English learners to practice oral language in younger grade levels describing what is happening in each picture and what they think the good/bad news might be. They could make dialogues based on the pictur ...more
Katie
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A 2013 Capitol Choices book. This is possibly one of my favorite pictures books published in 2012. Before I even knew it was on the Capitol Choices list, I happened to come across it because it fit my Storytime theme.

I could NOT stop laughing!! This short picture book uses only those four words throughout, but the illustrations brilliantly convey a picnic for rabbit and mouse that has somehow gone seriously awry. I particularly liked using it for Storytime -- the kids thought it was hysterical
Terry
Big Kid Reaction: This is a clever, fun book. The illustrations are laugh-out-loud funny (like the lightning scene). It works well as a picture book and an easy reader. I can see young children *reading* it themselves, and also making up their own stories about the pictures, too.

Pros: Simple language and vivid illustrations make this picture book / easy reader engaging, educational, and fun.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Maria Burel
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I picked up Good News, Bad News for myself, but, as often happens, my 3yo picked it for a bedtime read and I had no good reason to say "no." Which turned out to be a good thing, because it has been a great teaching tool! Since it's almost completely wordless, each page offers the chance for discussion. "Why is that good news? Why is that bad news?" It's page after page of cause and effect that's fun not only for my 3yo, but for me, too.

Dolly
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with younger children
Shelves: 2013, childrens
This is an entertaining tale that features two characters repeating the same simple dialogue over and over (hint - all the words in the book are in the title) The cartoonish illustrations tell the whole tale and it's a dramatic and humorous story.

I had one of our girls tell the "Good News" part of the story, narrating what happens based on the pictures, while our other daughter narrated the "Bad News" side of the tale. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Chelsey
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This actually worked really well in storytime, as they got to participate a lot in the telling of the story. We did thumbs up for good news and thumbs down for bad news, too, so even if they didn't get a chance to say what was happening on the page, they still had lots to do. It's a little long, that's ok.
Lorna
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The ever pessimistic rat and always optimistic rabbit make for a fun pair. A great one for kids to practice drawing inferences from the illustrations, as the text for most pages is limited to "Good news" and "Bad news". Also great for modeling how we react when things go a miss. Great cartoonish-style illustrations.
Great Books
Jul 11, 2012 added it
Shelves: family
Two friends view the world with very different eyes as good news for one is the polar opposite and bad news for the other. The colorful illustrations will entice children and help them understand differing perspectives. Reviewer 13
Samantha
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story of the highs and lows in the day of two friends. Text is very simple: good news, bad news. Illustrations carry the story as readers use the pictures as context clues to figure out why the news is either good or bad. GREAT read aloud and a book I hink young audiences will request often!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-book
Take one overly optimistic rabbit who can find "good news" in nearly everything and one very pessimistic mouse who doesn't always see the silver lining in much except for his friendship with rabbit. The story is told with only the words "good news" "bad news".
Edward Sullivan
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh, the fun you can have with just four words and some wonderfully expressive faces on a rabbit, a mouse, and (briefly) a bear. Great fun! Reminds me a bit of Remy Charlip's Fortunately.
Veronica
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, easy-books
This is such a cute story! It has very simplistic dialogue, but absolutely adorable (and very expressive) illustrations! 4 stars!!
Abby
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good News Bad News features an optimistic bunny and a pessimistic mouse in their attempt to enjoy a picnic. While Bunny sees the good potential in each bad situation, Mouse finds the cloud over every ray of sunshine.

Illustrations are simple and silly and, despite the bare text (primarily "Good news." and "Bad news."), Mack tells a fully-crafted story with a reasonably complex plot. Told with an appropriately affected voice, Good News Bad News has the potential to be a fun read for storytime, par
Sunah Chung
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two characters, Rabbit and Mouse, go on a picnic. Rabbit interprets every situation from the positive perspectives while Mouse gives the negative views.
This fiction piece shows the opposite point of views to see the same situations by using animal characters. When the wind was blowing, resulting in apples falling down, Mouse thought it was terrible news while Rabbit thought it was good news because they could eat apples. The only texts in this picture book were “Bad news” and “Good news.” You
Daniel
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not much text in this one other than "Good News!" and "Bad News..." but it's a fun book to read nonetheless and is good for helping to encourage a positive outlook in the face of adversity. As an adult, you may find yourself channeling your inner Pollyanna a bit. For the younger readers, it may take a little bit of coaching to understand what is going on. e.g., my near 4 year old son didn't exactly see why a swarm of bees or a lightning storm was a bad thing but after a couple readings, he under ...more
James
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son picked this book for a bedtime story. It is a simple story that follows the general flow of the classic Animaniacs skits of "Good Idea / Bad Idea" with one character trying to point out the good side of an event while the other experiences the negative. The book rotates between good news and bad news and that is (almost) the only words in it. It is simple but great for new readers to cut their teeth on, so to speak, and it has a simple but sweet ending which reminds us to occasionally to ...more
Joceline Martinez
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a very funny and silly book. Since it doesn't have many actual words written in the story, other than "good news, bad news" it leaves a lot of room for the reader to interpret what is going on. The pictures speak for themselves. You can see what is going on based on the illustrations, which doesn't call for any actually written words. I use this book in my own classroom and I have my 3 year olds guess why a certain picture would be considered "good news" or "bad news". This is a ver ...more
Lauren Greenberg
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Children's Literature - Lauren Abbey Greenberg
A picnic is "good news," but rain is "bad news." Or is it? Using only four words, Mack creates the story of Rabbit and Mouse, two friends with two very different dispositions. Nothing bothers Rabbit. He can find the silver lining in just about anything, no matter if it's a swarm of bees or an angry bear. Mouse, on the other hand, is a glass-half-empty kind of rodent, and he can only take so much of Rabbit's Pollyanna attitude. The story builds with R
Maria
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rabbit and Rat are off on a picnic... with bees.

Why I started this book: The cover jumped out at me from our library display.

Why I finished it: Charming! This would be a fun Story Time book. I'll save it for my international students that are coming next week, since despite that there are few words, it's a great story.
Connie
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very cute story about how to friends see things so differently. It really shows how to friends can see the same situation in different light. Like when it starts to rain mouse thinks it's bad, but rabbit thinks it's great. It lets the young reader now it's ok to have different opinions about the same thing and still be friends.
Lynn  Davidson
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book consists of two phrases all the way through - good news ... bad news.

Rabbit and Mouse are friends and to cheer up Mouse, Rabbit takes his friend on a picnic. That's the good news. The bad news is starts to rain. The good news is they have an umbrella. It goes back and forth with hilarious situations and illustrations.

A fun book for a beginning reader.
Crown Eco Jakarta Management: Police Try to Discourage Ramadan Raids 2 2 Jul 03, 2013 12:36AM
gnfgm 2 1 May 26, 2013 09:47PM
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Too Tall Houses
  • Oh, No!
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Another Brother
  • Penguin and Pinecone (Penguin)
  • Boot & Shoe
  • A Kiss Means I Love You
  • Big Mean Mike
  • Cindy Moo
  • Z Is for Moose
Born in Syracuse, New York, Jeff Mack has written and illustrated a long list of picture books, chapter books, and early readers, including Clueless McGee, Good News Bad News, Frog and Fly, the Hippo and Rabbit series, and Hush Little Polar Bear.

He has also illustrated many books for other authors, including James Howe's Bunnicula and Friends series and Eve Bunting's Hurry! Hurry!, one of School L