Start by marking “Blinky Bill” as Want to Read:
Blinky Bill

Blinky Bill

(Blinky Bill #1-3)

Originally published in 1939, this is a collection of tales about Blinky Bill, a mischievous little koala. Contains Blinky Bill, Blinky Bill Grows Up, and Blinky Bill and Nutsy.
Published October 3rd 1990 by Angus & Robertson (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Blinky Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blinky Bill

Start your review of Blinky Bill
Katische Haberfield
Very sad to say that this childhood classic is not to be a classic for my children. We stopped at p 138. I don't usually let the kids stop reading a book part way through, however, they honestly didn't like reading it and found it boring. I was disappointed as the movie was coming out last holidays and I had wanted to read it before we went to the movie, but that proved to be no further motivation. The movie, was nice but lacklustre, and did not provide additional incentive to finish.
Venesa
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, animal-based
I really dont think this is a childrens book, there are some rather violent themes in it, including murder. I diddnt like Blinky as a character, i thought he was so rude to everyone he met for no reason. I also think there was animals in the bush that shouldnt be there? like for one, there are no hedgehogs in Australia. Besides little details like that it was a cute story.
Amanda
I loved reading this with my kids. I wish I could fake an Australian accent. Blinky is not a good role model and many of the other characters are selfish, but we thought the antics were cute. We listed the animals as they came up and looked them up later.
Laurie
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Loved the Blinky Bill tv cartoons when I was a kid. The book unfortunately wasn’t as good. Blinky Bill is downright rude and unlikeable. The illustrations are fun though, if a bit odd for bush animals to be wearing clothes.
Ellinor
I loved to watch the animation series of Blinky Bill when I was a kid. The book isn't quite as funny as the TV show but it is really worth reading anyway. It has a slightly different focus - at least at the beginning. A lot is told of the danger the koalos and the other animals are living in. Kids can really learn a lot about Australian nature and animals from this book.
Grace
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, animals
Remember reading these as a child! Loved them very much
James Perkins
Blinky Bill, the mischievous anthropomorphic koala, is well known around the world through the TV cartoon and movies, but the book version is a little darker. He runs away from home several times and constantly disobeys his mother, who of course beats him when she catches him - this would have been a normal punishment at the time it was first published in the 1930s. His father is brutally murdered by a man with a gun quite early in the story. The animals are often cruel to each other: for ...more
Esther
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to an older kid but as bedtime reading for younger kids. Blinky's behaviour in the story was quite inappropriate in my view, which are difficult for kids younger than eight to understand and may negatively influence their behaviour as a result. For example, Blinky Bill stole cabbages from Farmer Scratchet but defended himself by saying that it was "borrowing".

Moreover, the use of language in this book was quite colloquial and is not suited for young kids who are just
Rosa
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I listened to the audiobook because I wanted to check out literature to read with my son when he's older. Blinky Bill entertains and delights; he's the same kind of mischievous character as Peter Rabbit or Curious George. Australian literature often falls through the cracks so I'm pleased to have stumbled upon Dorothy Wall's creation. My son is only 5 months old but I'll read this with him when he's 3 or 4.
Kylie Abecca
I listened to this on audiobook and I found the audio very difficult to listen to as it had so much music, noise and effects, it was hard to hear the narration. Also the ‘theme’ music used was that to Burke’s Backyard, not Blinky Bill. Other than that the story was quite well done, even if quotes are repeated often. It’s a good kids book all the same.
Toni Sheehan
Stopped reading this book on page 62. I found it a little disturbing as it describes a violent death of an animal, which I didn’t remember reading when I was younger. Felt sad as I was really looking forward to reading it again after many years.
Vivienne
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
James Priest
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The entire collection of classic Australian children stories of a mischievous young Koala named Blinky Bill written in the 1930's. A very enjoyable read. Would highly recommend for children, and the young at heart.
McCabe Sieg
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was super funny and I loved it.
Steph
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic piece of fiction for young children and a marvellous journey of nostalgia
Samuel
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if our version is the full story. We didn't get the story of Blinky Bill and Nutsy... A classic.
Malinda
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
My boys liked this more than I did, but we all laughed throughout. It was mostly funny because it was written in such a different time than we live in now.
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
Blinky Bill the naughty Koala is one of the most well loved characters in Australian Children's fiction. There is never a dull moment for Mrs Koala having Blinky as her cup. Traveling with Blinky on his adventures through the bush as he meets new friends and has many funny adventures and misadventures is an Australian write of passage.

As an Australian I grew up reading Blinky Bill, so I was really looking forward to re reading this book and seeing Blinky through adult eyes. Reading this book
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This is an omnibus containing Blinky Bill: The Quaint Little Australian (1933), Blinky Bill Grows Up (1934) and Blinky Bill and Nutsy (1937).

I fondly recall the Blinky Bill character from my childhood – but never remember reading the original stories. Having now read the originals I suspect that my fond memories come from the various adaptions that have been made over the years.

I must say I was shocked by the mature themes contained in the first couple of chapters in Blinky Bill. First he is
Elizabeth S
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth S by: Megan
Shelves: c-juvenile, z-2011
I enjoyed these children's tales of a little koala bear. It was fun to see a little community of Australian animals, versus the British, European, or North American animals we usually see. It reminds me of how Kipling's tales bring the animals of India closer.

This book is a compilation of three books, "Blinky Bill," "Blinky Bill Grows Up," and "Blinky Bill and Nutsy." The last was my favorite, because Nutsy was my favorite character. She nicely balances and tempers the impulsive, mischievous
Emma
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tiffany
Aug 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to finally read this book to my 10 year old son.... but we stopped just a few chapters into the second book. It was well written, though it felt a bit silly....but sadly we just did not like Blinky Bill. We were both quite shocked at his nasty behaviour and how he disregarded everyone around him and their feelings.

We soldiered on, after all this is a famous Australian story....., but it was the graphic images of death that kept jumping up in most unexpected places that finished it
Kirsti
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Blinky Bill was a childhood OBSESSION. I mean, you could get those plastic figures that some people put over their towball (plus the Land before time ones!) and the show was on Saturday (?) mornings and just...so much goodness for kids. Like, Blinky is naughty, but it all works out OK for him in the end. I remember sitting in Library class looking at the pictures in this one, the beautiful illustrations, and wishing I owned my own copy. As an adult, I do! A beautiful 90s printing bought from a ...more
Scott
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
A tale of bad discipline, stealing, rudeness and murder most foul is Blinky Bill. This trilogy is repetitive and lacks a good message for children. Also spreads the tale of drop bears, or croppers, as the term is coined.
I can see its place in Australian history but a very basic writing style lessens enjoyment.
Alison
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Another Australian children’s classic story about a cute boy koala who, like all boys, gets into adventures, mishaps and loves being mischievous. Images in proper reproductions are created by Wall herself. Great for kids of most ages, especially boys, though younger readers will need parental help. Old fashioned but classic.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all lovers of children's literature
Shelves: owned
This is an absolutely delightful children's book. Dorothy Wall first introduced Blinky Bill in the 1930s, and the books have never been out of print since. A firm family favourite for three generations in my family. I've posted a review on Amazon.com for anyone interested:
Katherine
Cute and quaint stories. Quite different to kids books now. The author does not shy away from death or violence at all. Honestly, while I found it a tad unexpected, it was quite refreshing. Some minor mistakes in animal names, such as an echidna being called a porcupine.
Rebecka
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. First book I ever read. Aged 5. Too busy reading other things to re-read it (besides I don't re-read anything - ONE EXCEPTION Ki Longfellow's The Secret Magdalene). So that 5 star is a retro-rating. I'm stickin with it though.
Ruth Bonetti
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ah, what a classic! Takes me back to childhood.
Chrissy12
Jan 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Blinky Bill was one of my favourite shows as a kid and it still makes me smile when i see it on TV. The book is just as well crafted and written. It is simply 'extraordinary' :)

• The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • The Magic Pudding
  • Wombat Stew
  • Possum Magic
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Playing Beatie Bow
  • My Place
  • The Harp in the South
  • A Fortunate Life
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)

Blinky Bill (4 books)
  • Blinky Bill: The Quaint Little Australian
  • Blinky Bill Grows Up
  • Blinky Bill and Nutsy
“The bush was alive with excitement.” 0 likes
“Angelina Wallaby patted him twice, then sniffed him all over with her soft muzzly nose. Now her eyelashes caught in his little toes:” 0 likes