Start by marking “Ghost Abbey” as Want to Read:
Ghost Abbey

Ghost Abbey

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
When her father's new job takes the entire family to a dilapidated old abbey in England, twelve-year-old Maggi discovers that both she and the building are haunted by ghosts from their pasts.
Published March 1st 1989 by Scholastic (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Abbey

Vincent Ripley
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Master story teller!
Jen
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creepy fun!
Matti Karjalainen
Robert Westallin "Kummitusluostari" (Karisto, 1991) kuuluu Kauhujuttu-nimiseen kirjasarjaan, joiden kansikuvia katselin kirjaston lastenosastolla kultaisella 1990-luvulla, mutta joita en koskaan tullut lainanneeksi. En rehellisesti sanottuna tainnut uskaltaa.

Maggi-niminen tyttö asuu jossakin Pohjois-Englannissa yhdessä leskeksi jääneen isänsä ja kahden rasavillin veljensä Bazin ja Gazin kanssa. Elämä tuntuu olevan vähän surumielistä, mutta sitten rakennusurakoitsijana työskentelevä isä saa vanha
M.
May 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Set in England. Maggi's mother died 2 years ago leaving her father despondent and Maggi to care for the house and her two younger brothers. Her father's construction business is in trouble since he is sunk in sorrow, the blousy housekeeper/babysitter he's hired to watch Maggi and her brothers has set her matrimonial sights on him and does no housekeeping, and Maggi has to do all the shopping, cooking, and housework. Then, right when school is ending, her father gets an offer to repair an old abb ...more
Gale
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: boo-ghost-witch
DON'T MESS WITH THIS PLACE: IT COULD KILL YOU!

Twelve-year-old Maggi has her hands full in this English ghost story; everything from insolent louts and anachronistic ectoplasm to malevolent architecture. Having taken over as the Little Missus when her Mam died, she has to deal with a gone-to-seed carpenter father, horrid younger twin brothers, and a lazy floozy of a housekeeper with designs on Dad. Naturally father and daughter jump at the chance to refurbish an old abbey/house in Cheshire for a
A.E. Shaw
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013

Robert Westall is definitively the reason I have a problem with over-commaing. Somehow I missed this book in my childhood, so it's the first time I've read it, now. Without the attachment of memory, the dialect-heavy opening is a little tougher than in his other books, but, like all his stories, for me, once it's begun, it rolls right along and you don't want to leave it for a moment just in case something happens whilst you're not looking.

Still, as his books go, whilst there's a sense of impend
Ainsley
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd read nearly all of Westall's books and short stories, so coming upon this one that had somehow slipped through my net was a pleasure. Not up there with Westall classics like Devil on the Road, Cats of Seroster, The Scarecrows, or The Machinegunners, but I have such a soft spot for all of his writing that I'm giving it 4 stars out of author loyalty (rounding up from the three and a half it should probably get, if goodreads would let one give half stars).
Orrin Grey
Apr 22, 2010 rated it liked it
While this was no Stones of Muncaster Cathedral, I liked it a lot more than Yaxley's Cat. We had another fretful protagonist here, but she was also clever and capable and at all effective at anything, which was a big improvement. And there was a building-with-a-life-of-its-own, which I'm a big sucker for.
RumBelle
Dec 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ghost-stories
This book was so bizarre to me, and a real let down, especially in the area of it being a ghost story. I think, more than anything, it was a product of it's time, the late 1980's in England, though it seemed to be set in the late 1970's. More than anything, I felt it was a way to voice issues over social concerns. Also, at time the language and descriptions of things seemed a little adult for children. The ghost aspect of it was sorely lacking. All in all, not a recommended ghost story.
Mariah
Dec 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terri
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Such an enjoyable little book. As another reviewer has stated, it is a comfort read- somthing to read and enjoy and not have to analyze. This is the type of book that I would love to be able to write. I appreciated that the author gave a lot of depth to the main character- more than I really expected her to have.
Melisa
Feb 29, 2016 added it
Shelves: ya
Well this just threw me back to my childhood! This book popped up on my Goodreads and the memories came flooding back. Guess my taste in books hasn't changed much in the past thirty-ish years;) This one may have to be a reread as an adult. Always fun to see how your perspective changes as you grow up.
Denise Spicer
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids, mystery fans
Maggi and her twin brothers get to go to an old abbey when their widowed contractor dad is hired to help fix it up. Ghostly occurrences, a scary storm and an unusual treasure from the past enliven the plot.
Chelsea Pittman
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute little ghost story. Not scary.
Kathy
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
i really loved this book
Abigail
Oct 09, 2009 rated it liked it
A girl named Maggi who moved to a spooky Abbey with her dad and her two brothers.
Relaynie
Mar 18, 2009 added it
Shelves: own
ghosts,big houses,supernatural
Megan
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I came across this book when I was in junior high.

For some odd reason, I'd go back and read it every summer. I'm a huge fan.
Thym38
  • Voices after Midnight
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Ghosts Beneath Our Feet
  • Orville: A Dog Story
  • The Pictish Child (Tartan Magic, #2)
  • Ghost Cat
  • The House In Norham Gardens
  • Voices in a Haunted Room (Daughters of England, #11)
  • The Cuckoo Sister
  • Scarecrow
  • Weeping Willow
  • Paddington Treasury (Paddington Bear)
  • The Witches
  • Broken Date
  • The Broken Bridge
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

Robert Westall was born in North Shields, Northumberland, England in 1929.

His first published book The Machine Gunners (1975) which won him the Carnegie Medal is set in World War Two when a group of children living on Tyneside retrieve a machine-gun from a crashed German aircraft. He won the Carnegie Medal again i
More about Robert Westall...