Start by marking “Gulf” as Want to Read:
Gulf

Gulf

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In Carnegie Medalist Westall's hard-hitting, suspenseful novel, a boy must save his younger brother when he becomes psychically linked to a doomed Iraqi soldier during the Persian Gulf War.
Hardcover
Published February 1st 1996 by Scholastic (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Gulf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gulf

Laura Lam
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, young-adult
This is a very short young adult novel detailing the difficulties of war, which is a central theme to Westall's work. His other books, The Machine Gunners and Fathom Five, are set in WWII, but this novel discusses the Gulf War. Tom has a little brother, Andy, whom he calls Figgis. Figgis is a little odd at time and becomes fixated on various Things. He is very sensitive to the suffering of others--animal and human alike. He will force his parents to save birds that have fallen from the nest. On ...more
Jill Gilbert
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another book read by 6th graders for their lit circles. I found it a compelling story about brothers. The narrator's younger brother has a strange empathic connection with people he sees in pictures and in his dreams. Was surprised to learn this book is not at any of the local libraries, so I ordered a copy to finish it and share with my kids. And perhaps add to my future middle school classroom library. :)
Mónica Cordero Thomson
Extraña historia que narra la conexión entre dos niños, uno que vive en Inglaterra y el otro en Kuwait. El niño inglés empieza a sentir y a describir los sucesos de la Primera Guerra del Golfo, a través de los ojos y sentimientos del niño kuwaití.
Me parece una novela juvenil muy original, que trata el tema de los fenómenos paranormales, la empatía y sobre todo crítica la crudeza e inutilidad de la guerra.
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A story on Gulf war. I thought the stories on modern war are rare in the children's literature. I will recommend my children to read this. Although it was sad story, I will have to teach children about the wars. This book will help it.
Kathryn McCary
Classic Westall--a story that accepts the possibility of paranormal phenomenon, about a boy who is perhaps too empathic, set during the first Gulf war. An easy read, that does raise some issues worth thinking about, but nothing special.
Dan
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A brilliantly thoughtprovoking read from a master of children's literature. It brings home the horrors of war and the truth behind the TV pictures in a way that captures the imagination. I would strongly encourage older children to read this.
Manisha
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Totally gripped me too. Great way to get children to learn abit about the Gulf war, and what I really liked about it was the way Westall creats sympathy for the boy in Iraq without actually taking the reader directly to the battleground. Truely captivating.
Rachel
Jun 11, 2008 rated it liked it
It sort of started out slow, but it was pretty good overall.
Nicholas, Silady
The book Gulf by Robert Westall is set in the 1990s during the Gulf war. In Gulf the main character Tom is protective pg. 5,
Katy
Jul 16, 2014
Yumephy
Nov 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover "La guerre au fond des yeux" 5 16 Jun 08, 2016 12:11PM
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

Robert Westall was born in North Shields, Northumberland, England in 1929.

His first published book The Machine Gunners (1975) which won him the Carnegie Medal is set in World War Two when a group of children living on Tyneside retrieve a machine-gun from a crashed German aircraft. He won the Carnegie Medal again i