Start by marking “Me: Stories of My Life” as Want to Read:
Me: Stories of My Life

Me: Stories of My Life

Admired and beloved by movie audiences for over sixty years, four-time Academy Award-winner Katharine Hepburn is an American classic. Now Miss Hepburn breaks her long-kept silence about her private life in this absorbing and provocative memoir.

A NEW YORK TIMES Notable Book of the Year

A Book-of-the-Month-Club Main Selection
Published September 29th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me

Layla
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Like listening to your grandma (your crazy, crazy grandma) tell you stories. Except that your grandma is Katharine Hepburn. Except that the stories are replete with digressions about that candy shop she used to visit as a child(of course, it's been torn down now), and that time she went to Italy with that writer and drove his Maserati, except she didn't drive and she needs glasses, and anyway, they almost had sex, but didn't, probably because he was eleven years younger, and also, she's decided ...more
Sophie
Feb 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
When I "write" the story of my life, I will also title it ME. This was a gem of a good/bad book.

Chuckle worthy Passages:

Everyone came and we made seventy-five dollars to buy a Victrola for the Navajo Indians.

Putnam was a poet. He was sort of medium-sized and had a very handsome head.

Any kind of English or WASP part I had a good chance for in those
Jessaka
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have always liked Katharine Hepburn, so I bought this book years ago. All I remember is that she talked about her movies and not so much about herself. I really don't care to hear about these things; I wanted to know about her.

I also recall back then that I found a brownie recipe that was supposed to be hers, so I tried it out, and my own recipe was so much better. I sent her one of my recipes, don't recall which one, and the woman in charge of her mail thanked me for it and said that Hepburn
Ashley
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite actress so I will try not to be too biased lol. One of my favorite autobiographies. It isn't a chapter book. It contains different stories of Kate's life as she remembers them. A must have book if you are a Kate fan.
Cherie
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not disappointed. I loved the storytelling and the pictures were lovely. A remarkable woman.
Barbara Rice
May 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
God, I tried to slog through this. It's Katherine Hepburn. It ought to be witty and profound and clever, and instead it was tedious and boring and who cares?

I left it in an airport.
Amy
Jul 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ms. Hepurn's editor was napping on the job.
Fangirl Musings
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Please read it, anyone. Your heart needs these words.

Not sixty seconds ago did I finish reading Katharine's words, all of them, and I am floored with emotions. So many feelings, so many chaotic sensations tumbling through my body that I turn laughably poetic at just trying to express how deeply I am moved.

I've read many novels in my life, many nonfictional works designed to engage me, make me think, entertain me, do something. And, yet, of the no doubt thousand bindings of paper and electronic ink I've perused, never, ever, have I felt as I do now
Mary Bellus
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I would recommend this book through part 3, but don't bother with the rest. The first 3 parts were pretty good. It was interesting to hear about her life growing up on the East Coast, and how she got into theater and movies. But by part 4 it turned into a random bunch of rambling stories about this person, or that strange conversation. There were two very brief chapters about her relationship with Spencer Tracy. At the end of the first one, she says, "more on Spencer later," but then the second ...more
Valerity (Val)
If you like reading about film stars, and stage actresses from long ago, this book should fit the bill. This memoir of Katharine Hepburn is very entertaining, as she grew up in a very unconventional family, and worked both on the stage and in the old movie studio system. She had a long and exciting life, and dated a lot of high profile men, like Howard Hughes, and for nearly 30 years Spencer Tracy.
Lee
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've always admired Katherine Hepburn for being ahead of her time and unconventional in many ways. Thought surely this book would focus on her nearly 30 year love affair with Spencer Tracy. However, I barely managed to get through it. Mostly about mundane things, her growing up years, how much she loved and admired her parents and siblings, etc. Spencer only came in at the very end and there was no new ground covered. Lots of tidbits about making of various movies and the people she worked with ...more
Maryam
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a woman, what a life! I could feel her energy while reading this book. And I loved it!

She makes me want to work hard, have fun, explore, go on adventures, and most importantly live, live, LIVE!
Penny Landon
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I discovered the appeal of classic movies, I have been a fan of Katharine Hepburn. Everything about her was unique and I really enjoyed watching her movies, whether they were full of comedy or bogged down with drama. After visiting a used bookstore, I found this biography and knew I had to read it. I have always wondered about her life and this seemed like the perfect book. To be honest this is the first biography that I chose to read for myself and I completely enjoyed it. Although t ...more
Sharon
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: before-goodreads
I loved Katherine Hepburn and have read a lot about her. This is a very interesting account of her life, written with honesty and humility. She was a symbol of the social circle she was brought up in and the times she lived in. Fascinating, sad, triumphant. She lead a life without compromise.
Maggie
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read the entire book with her voice in my head.
Loved it!
Kathleen Peacock
Interesting tidbits and anecdotes, though the book takes a bit of patience to get through. Those looking for insight into Hepburns relationship with Tracey will likely just end up a bit more puzzled.
Lily
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Katharine Hepburn has the most hilarious writing style. I truly believe that she sat in front of a tape recorder, soliloquized for a few hours, and her exact words were transcribed in this autobiography, stream of consciousness and all. What a powerhouse of a woman! Time and again (until she really became a star and no longer needed to prove herself) studio heads would underestimate her and she would just give them one look at they'd shut up. "Why should we listen to a woman who wears pants?"

She
Khris Sellin
Sep 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Katharine Hepburn: Glamorous? Beautiful? Sophisticated? Great actress? Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Writer? NO.

I know one reviewer inserted a bunch of silly quotes from the book. I'm just going to put in one: "Oh, I meant to tell you. I was standing on my head the other day and I got to thinking how probably unusual it is for someone of my age to do this." I think she spent too much time standing on her head - it made her a little dizzy, or should I say ditzy.

No, I don't mean that. But that is the t
Stewart Sternberg
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was at once an undisciplined ramble, a woman over years reminiscing and straying here and there through her memory without a solid reason for her digressions.

And yet, it is Hepburn. You will feel her through the book.and get to know her well. And although fiercely independent, she surrendered all herself to Tracy. Oh, by the way, that's barely touched upon in the book except for a passage at the end. That thirty five year relationship with her absolute love is only brushed.

Funny, flawed, u
Sally
A pretty hefty book, but then would you really expect less from Katharine Hepburn? She is a good story-teller, this is one of the better autobiographies.
Alisa
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love Katharine Hepburn, even more so after reading her book.
Jacqueline Masumian
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This somewhat fragmented memoir by Katharine Hepburn is remarkable in many ways. The first is that she wrote it when she was 89 years old. Another is the way her voice, indomitable, energetic, yet thoughtful, comes through onto the page. Made up largely of sentence fragments, her story is told in her very distinctive tone, addressing the reader directly as though they were in the same room.

The book is remarkable also in the way Hepburn speaks of herself; she is self-effacing and bragging almost
Crystal
Slow at parts, but overall I enjoyed it. Kate is probably my favorite actress. Loved her and Cary Grant together. Also liked learning more about her relationship with Spencer Tracy. The book has many photos throughout which I loved. I wish more bios would do that. Recommended for any old Hollywood fan.
Beverly Stotz
This took me 6 months to read. I loved Katharine Hepburn but this book killed me slowly. Some funny, some privileged, some just dry as a bone, some maniacal ranting. I don’t know. I’m a bit disappointed.
BarbaraW
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Direct, to the point. How a privileged, head strong girl made it in Hollywood in the early 30s. No discussion about either war which she lived thru, thank God. Shows her vulnerability. Her highs and lows. Admits she's got s BIG ego. Pictures made it special too.
Miladylc
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was more like a book of facts
Mark
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not much to rave about here, folks. A longer review is at www.cloquetriverpress.com.
Peace.
Mark
Ellen Wright
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun read, my sis bought it for me because Hepburn is the most famous alum of my college and I wanted some more insight into her: found myself really enjoying how Hepburn wrote and characterized her own life even when she could admittedly be a little silly or selfish. I loved how fun Hepburn made the whole book feel and the writing was easy and compelling.
Suzanne Mundy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
An informative autobiography. I enjoyed Kate's candor. She was a unique individual with lots of chutzpah.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
An oddly engaging memoir. Face it, she was 85 (or 87) when she wrote this, or rather recorded it. The editors just transcribed it, without a lot of changes, so you can hear her crackly, old-woman voice come through. It's like sitting down next to someone in a retirement home and asking one question--and you get the story of their life. Except that Miss Hepburn's life is a little more varied than most.

The odd part, besides the rambling, is that she cheerfully admits that she was selfish, from day
Snippets That Ins...: Universal? 1 2 Jul 07, 2017 03:06PM

• Kate Remembered
  • By Myself
  • Self-Portrait
  • An Affair to Remember: The Remarkable Love Story of Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy
  • Tracy and Hepburn
  • Gracie: A Love Story
  • Dean and Me: A Love Story
  • Life is a Banquet
  • Vivien: The Life of Vivien Leigh
Katharine Houghton Hepburn was an American actress of film, stage, and television. Known for her headstrong independence and spirited personality, Hepburn's career as a Hollywood leading lady spanned more than 60 years. She cultivated a screen persona that matched this public image, and regularly played strong-willed, sophisticated women. Her work came in a range of genres, from screwball comedy t ...more
“We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers - but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's always your fault, because if you wanted to change you're the one who has got to change.” 2040 likes
“Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get - only with what you are expecting to give - which is everything” 1791 likes