Start by marking “Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs” as Want to Read:
Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs

Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs (Silly Dilly Songs)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,494 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Remember...

"Take Me Out to the

Ballgame"

and

"I've Been Working on the

Railroad"?

Well, forget 'em!

Songwriter and comedy writer extraordinaire Alan Katz has turned those and other old favorites on their ears and created new nonsense songs kids will love. With zany, spirited pictures by illustrator and cartoonist David Catrow, this kooky collection guarante

Published May 1st 2001 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Be the first to ask a question about Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs

Jess Quimby
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs written by Alan Katz and illustrated by David Catrow was published by Margaret K. McElderry Books in 2001. This book has 32 pages and the genre is fiction. The lexile level is NP and the guided reading level is Q. This book best accommodates students ages 2 to 8 and in grades prekindergarten to third grade.

Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs is a collection of poems/songs. Alan Katz wrote silly "playground" songs that cov
Emma Hubble
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
poetry is the bomb
Connie
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This review is copied from Amazon.com, comments about other reviewers tackle specific issues mentioned there.

As other reviewers noted, this book is big on "taboo" subjects - dirty diapers, food fights, cleaning up your bedroom by hiding everything out the window, being carsick.... That should come as no surprise, after all, the cover (which you can see on this site) shows a naked boy flying out of the bathtub. This sort of material will mildly shock most children and they'll find it hilarious, b
(NS) Brea M
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Katz, a comedy writer who has worked on children's programming for Disney and Nickelodeon has created his own "silly dilly" versions of beloved childhood tunes. Kids will rejoice in the hilarious, "I'm Filthy, I'm Dirty," sung to the tune of "It's Raining, It's Pouring," and parents have songs to celebrate, too: "Go Go Go to Bed" is a clever remake of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." With the possible exception of the lesser-known "Polly, Put the Kettle On," most children will be familiar with the ori ...more
Amy
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This compilation of poems that can be sung to the tune of familiar children's tunes is likely to incite wild laughter and requests for a refrain. The strange and cute illustrations compliment the poems in a "silly dilly" way as well.

Audience: K-1 for read aloud or sing along; grades 2-3 for guided or independent reading.

Uses: Fun for song times. Could be use for guided reading then sung in the same manner altogether. The use of meter, end rhyme, and repetition in the book would be good for the
Jadin
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book definitely tickled my fancy. Mr. Katz has taken tunes of old favorite songs and given them all new lyrics. Hilarious and sometimes disgusting(to our delight),this book is a keeper. For example this song sung to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Stink, Stinky Diaper Change, boy my brother smells so strange. The wonderful lyrics paired with David Catrow's illustrations makes this book fun for everyone. Warning: you will want to sing at the top of your lungs and just slightly out ...more
Caitlin Barclay
Katz brilliantly uses well known songs that every student will know and turns them into funny every-day events in student's lives. Our students will love it and can easily follow along as they learn to read. This is also a great resource for emerging writers as they choose how and what to write about.
Margaret
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
This book has silly songs to the tunes of well known children songs. The students really enjoy singing along with the silly tunes. I would have this in my classroom as an example of lyric writing. It's a great book for students to read like a writer when learning about writing lyrics. In addition to that I would definitely have this book in my class just because the students like it so much.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Very silly and occasionally gross. Legomeister loves it.

Sometimes I can't keep the tune as I read the words. It's probably partly that I'm not very musically gifted, but also, in a few places, the parodies are a bit off.

I vote two stars but it gets an extra star because the Legomeister loves it.
Lauren
Funny adaptations of famous tunes to "silly dilly songs" like Stinky Stinky Diaper Change, Bobby Put the TV On, Ripped My Favorite T-shirt, and other tunes that kids can relate to.
Great time filler.
Alice
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
People in our library hate me and my co-worker because we started singing these songs. They use new words that you sing to familiar tunes!! SO FUN!!!

Yankee Doodle "Cranky Poodle in my home, Clawing, scratching, howling ..." and it goes on and on!! FUN FUN FUN!!!
Marisa
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Silly, funny words to common tunes, my kids love to sing these funny songs. ex: (tune of My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean), chorus "food, fight, food fight, there food on the counter and chairs and chairs. food fight, food fight, got tons of meat loaf in my hair"
Jovana Garcia
'as a kid who grew up thinking ' baby , baby stick your head in gravy' was the national anthem , i really like how alankatz and david catrow have written and illustrated such funny songs !!!!!!
kids of all ages are gonna love the new lyrics
Lauren Jackson
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help-books
My second grade class was obsess with this story because of the funny songs that were presented in the book. I would place this book in my safe place so that whenevr my students are upset they can read this stor and have a good laugh. Sininging sometimes helps to calm someone down.
Shawna Elenkiwich
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was really fun and more than likely a great read for a younger child. It takes common childhood songs and puts different lyrics to the music with funny scenarios. The illustrations were detailed and colorful. I think that any child would enjoy this book.
Dearborn Public Library Youth Services
Taking traditional tunes, Katz turns childhood on its head. With ridiculous illustrations by David Catrow, bathtime, room cleaning and little siblings will never be the same. Kids of all ages love to hear you sing these silly songs.
Michelle
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was clever, and the boys loved it, but I was uncomfortable with the bathroom humor that pervaded much of it. I could also do without the bizarre, uncouth artwork. If there was a way to keep a few of the songs, and leave out all the pictures, it would be a keeper.
Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I think this book would have been a lot more fun if I had known the tunes to the songs. The songs are silly and I think kids would love it. The pictures in it are very detailed.
Rachel
Oct 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book is full of songs put to familiar tunes. Gives great ideas for teachers because you can edit some of the words and get management songs!
Taylor
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Real cute book, to make lessons about poetry interesting!
Courtney
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sing-along
I love how there were so many different types of songs that children can relate to. I could see these songs being sung to children during "circle time" or in the morning after breakfast.
Noelle
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This series of books are some of our favorites. hilarious illustrations to go along with silly lyrics to childhood favorite songs.
Nikki S
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read for Literature for Youth. (Module 14- Poetry)
Monica Rodriguez
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: class-5
(Poem Book)

Katz, Alan & Catrow, David. Take Me Out of the Bathtub (2001). This book offers fourteen silly poems that are meant to be read in famous tunes like Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star and Take Me Out to the Ballgame. The readers will get a tickle from reading these poems because they involved real-life problems like bath time, sibling rivalries, crazy pets, and bedtime. The pictures are a treat alone because they take up the entire page with sinister smiles on all the characters. David
Gabby Horrisberger
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a poetry book, that is compromised of silly songs/poems that can be sung to traditional tunes such as "Take me out to the ballgame". Honestly, this book could be used for any grade. It is geared towards younger children, but I was laughing when I read some of the songs and I believe any grade would enjoy them.
Sierra Wishard