Start by marking “Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling” as Want to Read:

Children love to make up stories, and these 40 creative projects and activities encourage them to free their storytelling instincts. Younger children will love making story stones and a storytelling jar, and then will love using them to create stories of their own, while older kids will enjoy word grab bags, story walks, and journaling exercises. For everyone ages 5 to 12, ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Show Me a Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show Me a Story

AnandaTashie
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, non-fic
A book with ideas to encourage children to cultivate and share their stories. Sections include: intro, story starters, story evolution, story activities, and story play. Some of the ideas overlap and are very similar, but there are still plenty for fun and creativity. The ones I specifically want to remember -

p 29, "Cut and Tell" (Cut 5" squares from magazines / etc. Each person is given 10 face-down squares to gradually work into a story.)

p 63, "Memory Cards" (Decide on a memory, then write &am
Vivian
Lots of ideas, accompanied by color photos, for creating story prompts for creative and not-so-creative imaginations are shared in these 140 or so pages.

I plan on using some in craft "summer reading" activities which I host at my library.
1) Story Stones (pages 57-59)describes how children can collect some smooth palm-size stones and "mod-podge" pictures onto the rocks and then "tell a story" with them. We do a "rock painting" activity every summer, which is hugely popular. This will add to the m
Helen Hanna
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partially-read
Great ideas for inspiring storytelling. Beautiful photographs.
Sandi
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of good ideas for writing and storytelling. Could be used with a variety of ages and abilities.
Shala Kerrigan
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling by Emily K. Neuburger is a guide to creative exercises you can do with a child to make up stories.

Children love to make up stories with their toys, friends and in play. This book helps make a regular and thoughtful pattern of it. While it's meant for adults to do with children, a lot of the activities will work with children of all ages.

The craft projects include cards, decorated rocks to work as figures, small pa
Kathy MacMillan
Subtitled “40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children’s Storytelling”, this book is a terrific addition to your professional bookshelf. Neuberger clearly articulates the benefits of storytelling and imaginary play in helping children exercise creativity, expand their emotional awareness, practice communicating, make connections, solve problems, and develop moral thinking – and then she provides instructions for forty knock-your-socks-off crafts that encourage kids to create, imagine, an ...more
Jen
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful and full of fun ideas to get kids telling stories. I would love to spend some crafty time making some of these for my library. Minus a star because a lot of the crafts seemed more labor intensive for adults-it's hard to envision younger kids working well with tiny fabric collage and mod podge on rocks. If kids DID do these things I'd like to see more photos of kids' work (many were obviously made by artistic adults). That's just my preference as an educator reading activit ...more
Amy
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect resource for elementary librarians who are looking for ways to create meaningful lessons for their students around the art of storytelling. Each example has more than an adequate instructions/supply list on how to pull off these exercises of fun. The author thought of everything necessary for her reader and crossed all of her Ts and dotted all of her Is with a wonderful set of templates in the back of the book. Although I checked this book out from the library, it will definitely be on ...more
Heidi Pepin
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really more 4.5 stars but I decided to bump it up because I broke down and bought the book. I had borrowed it from the library and after combing through it this afternoon, there were so many ideas I wanted to try that I felt like I had to purchase it.

The story discs are my favorite idea. Inexpensive, full of imagination, and I like the variety of ideas the author gives to go with them - either to create them or to change their use, like a necklace. I think my 7 yo daughter will love to create t
Heather
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mama-resources
This book is beautiful with so many wonderful ideas! I got this one from the library, but it is definitely a book I would like to add to my own collection - once William is a little older. For now, I have a handful of great things to try with William and will absolutely revisit this book down the road.

Some of the ideas I plan on trying with William:

Traveling Puppet Theater
Story Mat
Story City
Magical Mailbox
Magic Pebbles
McYang
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly fantastic work! I use this for my job at the library regularly and can't wait to use with my own kids. And I really appreciate the economy of the projects - you can literally do any of them with found things around the house. The only purchase, really, is modge podge and wooden discs (which you can work around no problem if you really needed to).

I hope to see another volume by this author - indispensable to libraries!
Erin
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Show Me a Story is filled with wonderful ideas to get those stories flowing. Kids of all ages will enjoy making the crafts and the finished products will entertain for years to come. Author, Emily Neuburger, does an excellent job explaining and inspiring, while keeping each story project simple and fun. Great for programmers, teachers, and parents!
Krista
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just added this book to the ol' digital queue and wasn't expecting too much. But I was pleasantly surprised to find some excellent craft/storytelling ideas inside. I especially like the adventure packs and the story stones. I really like how Neuburger uses recycled and found items for the craft projects. Looks like I need to invest in some Mod Podge.
Erin
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great resource. I'm already excited to use some of the ideas in storytimes and class visits to our library. All of the ideas are great, even if not applicable to the library environment. I can see myself doing some of the larger scale projects with my own kids, and others would be perfect in the classroom.
Kathy McC
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neuburger provides a collection of marvelous ideas. Unfortunately, most of them won't work for my 6th grade novel study class. But, luckily, they will work for the Kiddie Lit college class that I teach in the spring. Also some terrific ideas to use with my granddaughters in the not too distant future.
E
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous photography and page design are just the icing on the cake for a book filled to the brim with insanely endearing, imaginative ideas. I can't help but think that the world would be a better place if all children had the opportunity to be raised with such an emphasis on individual and group creativity.
Rachel
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: projects, kid-stuff
I want to make one of everything! The creative storytelling sparks are not just for kids but can be enjoyed by all ages. Can't wait to put more to use both at home and at work. More fun and play in 2017!
Jennifer Fischer
We're homeschoolers and I think this book will be a helpful resource for us. I've been looking for some ways to help spark creative storytelling with my children and this book gave me some new ideas. I'm looking forward to doing these activities with them!
Heather
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytimebooks
fantastic resource for parents, teachers and librarians. Great ideas, some better for small groups and classrooms but still some great ideas I plan to try for storytime. I'm definitely making the traveling puppet theater for my outreaches.
Brindi Michele
i like this book for ideas for crafty kids (finding different ways for the kids to tell a story)...plus it has great ideas for creating my own "props" for story time. (It's all about saving money where you can.)
Karen Maurer
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This book is more about creating stories than about "telling" stories. (Storytellers tend to make that differentiation.) The crafts are accessible to young tellers and somewhat older tellers alike. I am enjoying the book.
Marcia
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Packed with ideas to jump start writing and storytelling, this book is a great tool for elementary teachers. I'll be using some to the ideas here in my digital storytelling class. A good addition to a professional collection.
Robin
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
This book will be a great addition to the collection at this library. There are lots of homeschool families and I see these activities as being really great for those families. It would also work well in a classroom. I've gotten a few ideas from it that I plan to incorporate in programs too.
Michelle
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I bought a copy after I returned this to the library. A great resource for parents, educators, and children's librarians especially.
Barb
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Valarie Franklin
I think my mom would love this book! Very creative ways to have kids tell stories.
Barb
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for children. Ideas for stories and craft projects for kids. A good resource to get kids motivated to do some storytelling.
Lisa
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of neat ideas for story starters (or Christmas presents). There is a lot you can do with these ideas. Great pictures.
Melissa
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-reading
This seems like it would be a great book to use for homeschool. I will get it again when we're ready for this level.
Melissa
SO many fun ideas in this book; I definitely need to check it out again.

Ideas to try: Story Blocks (p. 34), Story Grab Bag (p. 40), Memory Cards (p. 63), Story Timeline (p. 108),
Sarah Easton Miller
Love this book! So many good ideas in here for younger and older kids! I want to try 'Storytelling Kit' and 'Story Stones.'
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • The Write Start: A Guide to Nurturing Writing at Every Stage, from Scribbling to Forming Letters and Writing Stories
  • The Artful Parent: Simple Ways to Fill Your Family's Life with Art and Creativity--Includes over 60 Art Projects for Children Ages 1 to 8
  • Tinkerlab: A Hands-On Guide for Little Inventors
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media-For Budding Artists of All Ages
  • Imagine Childhood: Exploring the World through Nature, Imagination, and Play - 25 Projects that spark curiosity and adventure
  • Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
  • The Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 Fun, Creative, Screen-Free Learning Games and Activities to Stimulate Your 3- to 6-Year-Old Every Day of the Year
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Paint Lab: 52 Exercises inspired by Artists, Materials, Time, Place, and Method
  • Reading Picture Books With Children: How to Shake Up Storytime and Get Kids Talking about What They See
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • Designs for Living and Learning: Transforming Early Childhood Environments
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Loose Parts: Inspiring Play in Young Children

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »