Start by marking “Woman's Retreat Book: A Guide to Restoring, Rediscovering and Reawakening Your True Self --In a Moment, An Hour, Or a Weekend” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A Do-It-Yourself Retreat Book from the Author of The Woman's Comfort Book

Do you yearn for time to rest, dream, listen, grieve, celebrate, stretch, or just be? Then you -- like most women today -- need to retreat: to make time to get away from it all and reconnect with yourself. With the wit, humor, and style that have made her Comfort Book series so popular, comfort queen
Published February 1st 2005 by HarperOne (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Woman's Retreat Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woman's Retreat Book

Donna Wynn
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love absolutely everything Jennifer Louden writes, I have re-read this book four times! Each and every time I read it I gain a new understanding. It's as if she is right here with me! What a beautiful experience this book is, over and over again!
Mycala
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book in preparation for my own retreat, which was supposed to be six days but was cut short to four because of an impending snowstorm. (Nevertheless, the retreat was a success and I am very pleased with how it turned out!)

I plan to read this book again before my next retreat and it is going into my permanent library because it is just that good. It covers questions like how to decide where to go for your retreat, how to determine what you want to accomplish, ways to handle various sc
Adrienne
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Okay, I didn't fully finish this book even though I'm posting it as "read." However, it's not because I don't love the book --- I do! I purchased the ebook version of it, and I've been getting frustrated because I can't peruse it, flip back and forth through to the different sections as I would were it a real book, so I will be ordering the print version of this book so I can better fully enjoy it. It is a great, gentle, compassionate book full of super ideas for taking time for yourself, which ...more
ali
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent resource for planning a variety of retreats. I ordered it looking for ideas to plan a personal retreat to rest and reconnect with myself. The book helped me clarify my intentions and create a loose outline of events that melded activities in the book with my ideas and other resources. I also facilitate groups and retreats for others and this book has a plethora of ideas. I'd highly recommend this book for anyone looking to design a personal retreat, a group retreat or s ...more
Eli
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book's greatest benefit is the inspiration and the emphasis on the importance of creating emotional and physical containers for retreats. The exercises contained great kernels of inspiration, but specific instructions were a bit woo-woo, even for me. Still, Louden is crystal clear that this is a "take what you need and leave the rest" book, which I intend to do.

Experienced ritualists and retreatants can skip the first chapter, where Louden spends a lot of time convincing women that it's OK
Corinne
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really had fun with this, planned the birthday retreat with my sister. It helped us reach a deeper level of intimacy than we would have reached alone. We are both going through difficulties this year and this book helped us add structure to the minutes (literally) that we have time to share with each other. Great for ideas but don't try to do too much when you get away.
Sophie Nicholls
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There's noone quite like Jen Louden.

Her blog is where I go to for self-nurture, inspiration and honesty.

I love this book. It's a fabulous resource for women everywhere and something I regularly dip into. And I'm sure that, over the years, I've somehow integrated and absorbed some of Jen's ideas into my own work with my therapy and coaching clients. Read her!
Allison
Oct 17, 2007 rated it liked it
This book isn't what I expected when I ordered it months ago. But it was interesting. I feel capable of organizing a writer's retreat now. Or a solitude retreat, or a yoga retreat, or a whatever retreat. Might come in handy in the future.
Lynda
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been to many retreats in my life, and I have enjoyed almost all of them. I looked at quite a few books looking to repeat those experiences at home. This is the best of the books that I found. I highly recommend this book.
Liaken
Jul 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful reference book for women's retreats. Lots of good ideas, well-organized. In a word: excellent.
Tiffany
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for helping me structure my coveted time alone!
Holly
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous, fabulous read. Made me not feel guilty about craving alone time. Great ideas for long-term and mini-retreats. It's my go-to when I need a break!
Brandi
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This another good book that I've owned for a number of years. I re-read it when I am feeling stressed out.
Lisa
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book.
Bonita Rose
Jan 29, 2010 marked it as to-read
another amazon find I'm waiting for.. got it used for a song!
Jeanie
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Solo Mamas
Another great book by Jennifer Louden, with wonderful ways to integrate self-care into any mom's schedule. Love it!
Laura (ME)
Mar 26, 2010 rated it liked it
more of resource guide than anything - wonderful ideas
Amanda
  • Living a Beautiful Life
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • The Sweet Breathing of Plants: Women Writing on the Green World
  • Unattended Sorrow: Recovering from Loss and Reviving the Heart
  • Journalution: Journal Writing to Awaken Your Inner Voice, Heal Your Life, and Manifest Your Dreams
  • The Mother Dance: How Children Change Your Life
  • Goddess Companion: Daily Meditations on the Feminine Spirit
  • Writing a Woman's Life
  • The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over
  • Gaia and the Theory of the Living Planet
  • About What Was Lost: Twenty Writers on Miscarriage, Healing, and Hope
  • Lit From Within: Tending Your Soul For Lifelong Beauty
  • Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments  Other Topical Therapies
  • The Vein of Gold: A Journey to Your Creative Heart
  • V is for Vulnerable: An Alphabet for People Who Want to Make a Difference
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Self-Nurture: Learning to Care for Yourself as Effectively as You Care for Everyone Else
  • When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

$17.99 $1.99
  • John Quincy Adams
    $12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
    $17.99 $1.99
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Hole in Our Gospel Special Edition: What Does God Expect of Us? The Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World
    $10.99 $1.99