Start by marking “Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition” as Want to Read:
Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition

Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition

Art Journal Color! Art Journal Composition! Art Journal Freedom!Color is all around us and we often find ourselves drawn to particular combinations or arrangements. But how can you effectively and artistically capture those eye-catching compositions in your art journal?

It's true, art journaling has no \rules\" and is a safe place for free expression of your one-of-a-kind l
Published February 11th 2013 by North Light Books (first published January 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Art Journal Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Journal Freedom

Start your review of Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition
4.5 stars. If you're new to art journaling, or if you just want to make your pages stronger, this is a terrific resource. You'll learn about composition, color, layout, and you'll get lots of great ideas for putting together beautiful and therapeutic pages. Tons of inspiration on every page. I can highly recommend this book.
Chris
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Good overview of basic artistic principles such as color theory, contrast, and composition in the context of art journaling. Although I'm not a fan of aspects of the author's style, I do like how she puts together backgrounds.
Rachael Brackett
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great mixed media art book for the artist who doesn't necessarily have formal art training or background as it covers ideas and concepts that will improve your work and help you grow. Dina's colorful and whimsical pieces are very inspiring and she offers prompts and challenges to further your art journal. I'll be adding this to my art library!
Linda
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dina Wakley's style may not be for everyone, but her book certainly is. She explains design principles, challenges the reader to explore each one, and shows a step-by-step technique to explain them. It is a very fun, accessible art journaling book for both beginners and the more seasoned one. I love it and keep it out so I can refer to it often.
Megan
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
So completely not my style of pages. But it is very well written. I plan to complete one of the pages using my own style to see how it turns out.

I do love the page that explains colors and their meanings. And I was also interested to learn

Sharon
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was expecting more from this book. I was expecting fresh and creative ideas, not an art appreciation or art 101 book. The book has great ideas for beginners or individuals who want a refreshers on the basics. I wish I had checked the book out from the library instead of buying it.
Pamela
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone who is new to art journaling. True to its title, I appreciate the time the author spent on color and composition. Personally, the examples are not my style, but the exercises demonstrate the limitless mixed media possibilities. I do wish the author commented a bit more on cost of supplies and alternatives. For example, one exercise uses pan pastels for creating a colorful background. Pan pastels are quite expensive. It would have been good to have some less expens ...more
B.C. Deeks
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whether you give this book to a child, a friend or keep it for yourself, Art Journal Freedom by Dina Wakley is an excellent primer on how to art journal. It contains the fundamentals of creating a successful art page, explained in clear concise language with a sample of a colourful art journal page by the author to illustrate. I borrowed this book from the library but now that I've read through it, I'm sure that it is one for my keeper shelf so I will be off to the bookstore shortly to pick up m ...more
Sammy
When not reading, I'm most likely to be found covered in paint and ink and other such messy stuff.

While Dina's style of journalling doesn't really appeal to me, the book itself is full of great and inspiring tips and ideas that can easily be incorporated into your own style.

Learnt loads from this!
Julia Vazquez
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Winderful and inspiring book. Lots of information on supplies and techniques. A must read for mixed media artist.
Marylou
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource

The book covers the basic principles of color and composition. She includes many examples. Each chapter includes a step by step exercise.
Bryna
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I learned some valuable composition theories that will be helpful in my journal.
Tina
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites! Simple, easy to follow. Great for non-artsy types.
Jill
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty standard and basic but at printing it was more unusual. Easy methods to get a beginner started. I do find myself wanting to try more spray inks though!
Barbara K.
Of course reading an art how-to book as an e-book on a monochrome e-reader isn't the full experience. But it's a great way to decide whether you want the paper book, and I borrowed it via Kindle Unlimited, so the price was right. I recommend this for anyone who wants to do a little art journaling or other painting/collage type of art and needs a primer or refresher on materials, composition, color and so forth. As a very basic art book it's good, mainly because it's simple and straightforward an ...more
Jean
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to, art
This book nicely combines composition and art techniques. While I don't necessary love all the elements or all the aesthetics of this author, there were very interesting designs and techniques to were clearly illustrated and explained. She also has challenges listed so that it isn't just a how to book but also motivational to some extent. It is definitely a nice survey book which gives you a nice smathering lessons handling different arts and crafts supplies as well as different compositional el ...more
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot from this book, which is well written and inspiring. For someone who has studied art formally, it might not be as informative, but since I have no art training, there were a number of "aha" moments. I think the author's work and the project prompts would be inspiring and fun for many more experienced artists as well.
Chantelle
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I find the title to be a bit of a misnomer: when I read art journal "freedom," I didn't expect quite so many rules. Don't get me wrong: I found the information interesting and educating, but I thought Dina would expand a bit more on her process. I did pick up some decent tips, though. Glad I borrowed it from the library before buying it!
Quinn
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written, well-thought-through book on color theory and page composition. It's packed with Dina's style--which I always like, because you get a good view of her strengths in art journaling. A full review of the book is on my blog, here: http://wp.me/p2H1i-2NM ...more
Kaye Dewar
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book for art journaling enthusiasts !
Elizabeth A
May 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, art
I am always looking for creative inspiration, and while I did not love this book, did get some good ideas that I will try out in my journal.
Fiona
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book, it gives you some of the rules of art, composition and colour which helps to explain why some art journal pages work
Nancy
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and beautiful

I really enjoyed the techniques in this book and loved the artist's style. A fresh take on the multi media journal genre.
Tracy
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love her and everything about the book!
FadeAwayandRadiate
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
She's good. Really good. At art-making and explaining art. The book is chock-full of unique but doable techniques and her artwork is just lovely.
Jeannine
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
lots of great creative info.
Hadi
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
Her style and taste is not my style and taste but I found this a good intro to the basics: colour, contrast, composition. Very helpful
Jennifer Stevens
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just love her style!! Beautiful pics, so so inspiring!
Tammy
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource for anyone looking for instructions or inspiration on next projects.
Stephanie Hansen
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Art Journal Freedom is a wonderful book for people who are interested in finding a book that is written by an artist who's voice comes through like a friendly and approachable art coach. It is a great book for art journalist's who are looking not just for a book, but for a fellow art journalist to lend kind encouragement, but most importantly, to teach them some concrete art lessons that are completely practical, that are the kind learned from many years of experience and work with a multitude o ...more

• Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • My House Has Wheels
  • Broken Grace
  • A Widow's Walk Off-Grid to Self-Reliance: An Inspiring, True Story of Courage and Determination
  • Crafting a Daily Practice: A Simple Course on Self-Commitment
  • The Truth About the RV Life
  • Old Man on a Bicycle: A Ride Across America and How to Realize a More Enjoyable Old Age
  • Third Watch (Tracy Crosswhite, #0.5)
  • Summoning the Mountains: Pilgrimage Into Forty
  • Blood Lines (D.I. Kim Stone, #5)
  • Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat—Not a Sour Puss
  • The Painted Art Journal: 24 Projects for Creating Your Visual Narrative
  • Create Your Life Book: Mixed-Media Art Projects for Expanding Creativity and Encouraging Personal Growth
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Drawing and Painting Beautiful Faces: A Mixed-Media Portrait Workshop