Start by marking “Immortal Queen: A Novel Of Mary, Queen of Scots” as Want to Read:
Immortal Queen: A Novel Of Mary, Queen of Scots

Immortal Queen: A Novel Of Mary, Queen of Scots

On February 8th, 1587, a woman of forty-four, regal, elegant, but no longer beautiful, knelt to lay her head upon a block. At the third stroke of the axe the order signed by Queen Elizabeth I of England was carried out, and the turbulent life of Mary, Queen of Scots was ended. — "Immortal Queen" tells the story of that life, from Mary's childhood days in France to her ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published March 12th 1972 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Immortal Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal Queen

Start your review of Immortal Queen: A Novel Of Mary, Queen of Scots
Helen Azar
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I came upon this book at a library completely by accident. It is a historical novel about Mary Stuart, starting with her life in France as a child and ending with her execution. It is extremely well written and accurate, as far as I can tell. It reads like a very good novel and draws you in to a point where you don't want to put it down - even though you know what's going to happen. It gives great insights into Mary's life and personality. It actually made me feel somewhat sympathetic towards ...more
Alisha
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
i could read this book over and over and over again. the first copy i read was my mother's. Then i bought my own copy off amazon. i made a clamshell box for my copy to help preserve it. I buy copies whenever i see them in used book stores, sometimes for 20 or 30 bucks. This book is worth it. I'm sad it is out of print. One of my personal life classics. I LOVE IT.
Undine
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although it is a work of fiction that was first published nearly fifty years ago, "Immortal Queen" still ranks as arguably the finest book ever written on the controversial Mary Queen of Scots. The novel is beautifully written and better researched than most biographies, but what truly makes this book such a classic is Byrd's insight into Mary's enigmatic personality. The psychological portraits of Mary and her star-crossed soul mate, the Earl of Bothwell, are the most fascinating and plausible ...more
Christi Barth
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I think I read this 20 times in the 7th grade alone. Loved it - and opened my eyes to the beauty of history.
Rio (Lynne)
I'm yeilding for now. The whole Henry VII being her grandfather (not great grandfather) bugged me....I had downloaded a sample. It was a large sample since the book is over 500 pages. I decided to try my Margaret George book on Mary before I spend $10 on the Immortal Queen.
Rhiannon
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: books-i-love
This was a wondrfully written book and it got me very interested in historical fiction.
Katie
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably the best novel about Mary Queen of Scots that I have read. Bothwell emerges as a compelling and even likeable character and their relationship is well rounded and convincing. Manages not to paint Mary as a helpless victim of circumstance but clearly shows her as the author of her own undoing while still maintaining the reader's sympathy. I am not normally a great fan of Mary Stuart, but I found my self warming to her in this book.
Roz Naughton
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read but rather a long story at more than 500 pages. I struggled to read it but it is a wonderful book about Mary based on fact. Well written .
Mary’s life was a series of terrible unfortunate incidents.
Ashley McAndrew
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I really enjoyed this book and learned much about a fascinating person and time. I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.
Norah
This is a very informative fictional account of the life of Mary Queen of Scots. I enjoyed it as a 'good read' and also for the historical information. For anyone who enjoys historical novels this is a good one.

Received as a trade from bookcrosser daemonwolf, and put it quite near the top of mount tbr! I previously read this while in labour with my third child, and was quite awed by the fact that she rode into battle while pregnant (?while in labour, can't remember!) so was looking forward to a
Dj
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this in my long lost youth and I still remember it as one of the best books I ever read. I loaned my copy out because I loved it and wanted to share, and friends gave it back with torn dust jacket and dirty pages. I never thought of those friends in the same way again, and I became a lot more selective in my lending practices.

I should read it again . .
Krista C
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The best fictional portrayal of this tragic queen that I've read so far. It's hard to sympathize with Mary until you realize what a sheltered and privileged life she led up to returning to Scotland. She was I'll equipped to rule. This booked was pretty accurate and the fiction was believable.
Lisa
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
Loved this book!!! The best historical fiction I've ever read!! Written in 1972, but even better than phillipa Gregory one of my all time favorite authors. The story is amazing, an there are lots of true facts in this book of Mary Queen of Scots
Deidre Dalton
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Byrd writes with a flair for the dramatic, while at the same time keeping true to the historical facts of Mary's life. Ms. Byrd paints Mary as a real woman, with real feelings and desires. . .
Timo
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kaisa
Truida
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Lots of information, vivid scenes. Flowing story
Polly MacDavid
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this over & over again when I was a teenager.
Jan Cole
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Not bad. I learned a lot about Mary, Queen of Scots. It seemed to drag in parts and I got tired of her making one bad decision after another but I guess that's what really happened.
Jonathan Derr
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story even if it is kinda chick lit. Gives an interesting inside look at the inner workings of royalty life back in the 16th century.
Mary Nickum
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The book was entertaining, well written and serves as a model for my historical fiction (one model, anyway). It was well recommended in a book on writing historical fiction.
Literary  Chanteuse
Absolutely loved this book.
Kara
May 17, 2011 added it
Shelves: tudor-fiction

Its well written and well researched. Everyone comes out looking pretty bad - so much so you wonder how anyone could have written favorably about this time period.
Candice Fink
Feb 21, 2009
Jamie
Feb 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Combine Request 14 184 Sep 30, 2013 04:37PM

• Tidelands (The Fairmile #1)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Catalain Book of Secrets
  • Mary B: An Untold Story of Pride and Prejudice
  • EMP Resurrection (Dark New World, #5)
  • Six Scary Stories
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 32: Rest In Peace
  • The Lady of Secrets (The Dark Queen Saga, #6)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Helen Grace, #2)
  • Life Is Short and Then You Die
  • The Crown (Joanna Stafford, #1)
  • Devil's Wake (Devil's Wake, #1)
  • Pinkerton's War: The Civil War's Greatest Spy and the Birth of the U.S. Secret Service
  • Wastelands 3: The New Apocalypse
  • Falls the Shadow  (Welsh Princes, #2)
  • Familiar Trouble (Familiar Legacy #1)
  • Thunderbird (Miriam Black, #4)
  • A Serial Killer's Daughter: My Story of Faith, Love, and Overcoming
Family:
Born Sarah Elizabeth Evelyn Byrd on December 8, 1912, in St. Louis, MO; died May 11, 1989, in Tucson, AZ; daughter of Joseph Hunter Byrd (an entrepreneur and mining promoter) and Emma (Howard) Byrd; married Don Phares. Education: Attended New York University, 1932-33.
Elizabeth is the elder sister of composer Joseph Byrd (December 19, 1937) and physician Dr. Ruddell Byrd.

CAREER: