Start by marking “Eye of Vengeance” as Want to Read:

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  184 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Crime reporter Nick Mullins is covering the story of a convicted murderer gunned down in public by a sniper's bullet. More chilling is that the victim was the subject of one of Nick's old crime stories-and that's not Nick's last link to a killer's cold-blooded revenge. Because Nick and his daughter have caught the sniper's eye as well.
Published June 5th 2007 by Signet (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Eye of Vengeance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye of Vengeance

Michael George
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed Jonathon King's Max Freeman series but I found this book to be both predictable and disconnected. I'll continue to read his books but this on just couldn't hold my attention.
LJ
EYE OF VENGEANCE (Unlicensed Investigator-Florida-Cont) – VG
King, Jonathan – 4th in series
Dutton, 2006-Hardcover
*** Crime reporter Nick Mullins is still trying to hold life together after a driver killed his wife and one of his twin daughters in a car accident. It is particularly hard now that the driver has been released from prison. But a distraction comes when a sniper kills a prisoner on the jailhouse steps. When another sniper shooting takes place, Mullins begins to realize the victims were
Doris
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Eye of Vengeance

If the point of the story was that the reporter needed to come to grips with his loss and change his life to his new reality then it was nailed. If the point was to discover who the killer was then it was nailed. If the point was a police procedural with a solid resolution then it was completely missed.

One interesting thing that popped up during the story was that the author stated that newspapers are free to spy on people, including taking notes on information they enter on the
Cameron
Oct 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Joonathan King
King sets this edgy, brooding stand-alone in a milieu he knows well, the world of the professional crime reporter. Nick Mullins, who covers the crime beat for the South Florida Daily News, is still shattered two years later by the deaths of his wife and one of his twin daughters in an auto accident with a drunk driver. Obsessed with revenge, Mullins spends his off hours stalking the driver, who's just been released from prison after serving only 18 months. Mullins's reputation for honesty and i ...more
Quillracer
I’ve been a fan of Jonathon King since I read the first Max Freeman novel. If I’d read this book first, I never would have tried them.

It’s not that this is a bad story. It’s just not as good as those are.

It starts with a bang – literally and figuratively – which is a good thing but there are no more ‘bangs’ until midway through and at the end. Most of the ‘action’ here happened in the past and we learn about it through the main character’s memory and search through old newspaper stories. There i
Angelika
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I've read the book in German so my revew belongs to the German translation. Maybe the transcription is much more better in the original!

Die Idee der Handlung in dem Buch eines frustrierten ehemaligen Staatsdieners (Polizist und Scharfschütze in der Armee) das Gesetz selber in die Hand zu nehmen ist für einen Thriller ganz gut, die Umsetzung ist leider nicht wirklich spannend gelungen. Von den beteiligten Personen konnte ich mir kein Bild machen, es gab von ihnen keine wirklich Beschreibung, das
Bob
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't call this a review, more like a comment. I really enjoyed Eye of Vengeance not just because I always enjoy a good crime story but because of the authenticity of King's description of Fort Lauderdale (I've lived in Broward County for 38 years) is spot on, including his description of the Broward County Public Safety Building (Sheriff's headquarters) and even some of the the people. There actually was a Steve Canfield at BSO although the one I knew retired as a District Chief in 2002. E ...more
Jessica Hammer
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: digital, mystery
I was looking for a quick, entertaining mystery-thriller, which is more or less what I got. I enjoyed the basic premise: reporter Nick Mullins realizes that a series of apparently unrelated murders are tied together because they're all criminals he's profiled for the paper.

Unfortunately, Mullins suffers from gritty-hard-drinking-reporter syndrome, which was not helped by a personality-through-tragedy infusion. (Oh NOES! His wife and daughter were killed by a drunk driver! Now he is TORMENTED!)
LindaJ^
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, audio
Good audio for the car. Nick is a crime reporter who lost his wife and one of his twin girls in an auto accident caused by a drunk driver. He has yet to get himself straight but is back at work. Someone is killing excons and Nick finds he has done indepth stories on them. Nick finds himself working with the cops to catch the sniper doing the killing. The story has few surprises and it is by no means a literary masterpiece but had enough action to keep my interest.
Vicki Elia
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read. Well-conceived motives and characters, although I always wonder why your average citizen suddenly decides he's Batman, pursuing bad guys with abject obsession and stupidity. For fans of the crime/thriller genre, this is an easy read, lacking any subtle motives or twists and turns. 3 1/2 star, that don't really stretch to a 4.
Syafrizal Abu Mansor
Jonathon did a lot of research regarding snipers and journalists and he put the two together perfectly in this book. I love the plot and I just can't put it down but continued reading it until the end.
B.D. Crowell
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I enjoyed the book. The personal experiences of the author as a journalist brought true authenticity to the character. It did a pretty good job keeping my attention, although I found the ending a bit abrupt and a little unsatisfying. An epilogue would have been a welcome addition here.
Ron Decaigny
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed all the other Jonathon King books but for whatever reason I just couldn't get into this one. Might be my mood or the writing style but I like to be grabbed by the nose by a book and pulled into the story, this one just didn't do it.
Mark
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Jonathon King gives the reader a glimpse into the process of how the news is shaped and delivered and at the same time tells a good story. I enjoyed seeing the obvious struggle between the reporter trying to "get the story" and the police trying to stop the sniper.
Pat
Oh my goodness I didn't have a book on cd to listen to on the way to work!!!! -- I grabbed this one and found I enjoyed it. If you like mysteries with likable characters I recommend it.
Pa
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in tales of murder
An OK, but nothing really special story about a sniper who kills bad people and his relationship with a newspaper crime reporter.
Kelly Stewart
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as absorbing as the Max Freeman novels, but I did like Nick Mullins. I'd like to see him in a sequel! Definitely worth reading. Great book!
Nancy Rodriguez
Jan 07, 2011 is currently reading it
Just started it today! Hard to put down.
Barbara
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
was okay
Joe O'Connor
Aug 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Very Good; reporter begins to notice that recent sniper victims were all subjects of columns he wrote and works to determine who the sniper is before the next victim
Marca
Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the main character - Nick. His kid was not too obnoxious or cutesy. The writing was good. The ending was, well, unsatisfactory.
Courtney
Aug 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
boring. didn't finish it.
David Weinfeld
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
action, thoughtful and entertaining.
Leo
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
An average detective novel. Good story, good execution. Nothing special.
Susan Swansburg
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Well written, liked the main characters, but I knew early where the plot was going, and never really got absorbed to the point that I couldn't put it down. Still a solid read.
Susan Blackmon
Jan 27, 2015
Michael Hopson
Apr 09, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Where the Dead Lay (Frank Behr, #2)
  • G'Day to Die (Passport to Peril, #5)
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1)
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • Night Vision (Jake Lassiter #2)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • 'Til Dice Do Us Part (Bunco Babes Mystery, #2)
  • Mourn The Living
  • Blunt Darts (John Francis Cuddy, #1)
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • A Mischief in the Snow (Bracebridge Mystery, #4)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
Edgar-award winning author Jonathon King is the creator of the Max Freeman crime series set in the Everglades and on the hard streets of urban South Florida. In his previous career as a journalist, he was a police and court reporter for 24 years with the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale and the Philadelphia Daily News.

More about Jonathon King...