Start by marking “The Ungrateful Governess” as Want to Read:
The Ungrateful Governess

The Ungrateful Governess

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  352 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The Earl of Rutherford was handsome, rich and as adept at giving pleasure as he was avid in pursuing it. He was certain his conquest of Jessica Moore--a mere governess--would be swift and satisfying. But what he did not know was that Jessica planned to teach him a lesson in manners.
Paperback, Signet Regency Romance, 224 pages
Published October 4th 1988 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Ungrateful Governess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ungrateful Governess

Mary - Buried Under Romance
I picked this book up due to its high reviews and ratings from my Goodreads friends, but I cannot find myself liking this book's hero. Upon careful examination of this book, nothing in his motives and thinking really changed. How can he suddenly - one day - changed his "obsession" to love? That is nonsensical, and that is NOT love.

I find myself liking Jess for her attitude throughout the book, save for her last capitulation. I know this is a romance, and as I have read and enjoyed many by Balog
Ivy H
3.5 stars.

Enjoyable but there was one off page incident that marred the romance, in my opinion: the H got roaring drunk, went to a party and might have had black out sex with a widow. The weird thing is that he had never been attracted to the widow, he couldn't remember if he had sex with her because he woke up with no memory. He also felt dirty and nauseous when he couldn't recall what had happened because he had always been a bit grossed out by the woman. The author justified this incident by
seton
Mar 19, 2009 rated it liked it
LuvGirl
The story started out good when the heroine almost became the hero's mistress, but turned into the same old same old after she couldn't go through with it and the hero enlisted his grandmother to help her find employment. Suddenly she(gasp)really was a lady all along because her grandfather is a marquess. I was hoping for something more I guess. I'm tired of the same boring predictable plot lines.
Ilze
Jan 29, 2010 rated it liked it
When I first read this book years ago, I gave it a 5 star rating and a one-line review: "A tiny perfect gem of a book." On re-reading, having read several hundred historical romances in the meantime, I have to reduce my rating to 3 stars, mainly because the heroine is rather annoying - near the end, she decides she has to run far far away from her family and the man she loves, who has been urging her to marry him (and is an unbelievably fine catch in many ways), simply because he is not giving h ...more
Grace
Aug 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, historical
The moment I started this book, I realized that I had read it before, and completely forgotten the plot. Thus I read this book with a grim foreboding.

And yet, it was not terrible. Rutherford (the earl) first meets Jess (the governess) when he is ordered by his grandmother to check out a potential wife but because the potential wife was such an unattractive terror, he is soon checking out Jess, who's head to toe dressed in gray drabness. Except when she goes to the library in the middle of the n
Ana T.
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trad-regency
Another one of Balogh's traditional regencies. No matter how much I enjoy her european historicals I approach these little books with an even greater expectation. This one was no different.

When the Earl of Rutherford tries to seduce Jessica Moore in her employer's library one night, she is blamed and loses her job. Rutherford offers her a position as his mistress, but instead Jessica enlists the aid of his own grandmother and sets out to teach him a lesson.

Jessica Moore, a young ladies governess
Nancy Crayton
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. The hero was exceptional in that despite being stereotypically arrogant and self-centered, he had a conscience and wanted to do the right thing. His character evolved and grew over the course of the story which made him even more appealing. Mary Balogh is such a gifted writer, that I become immersed in the personalities and situations she creates and I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

My only qualm is that the governess seemed to be stuck in time. A desire to maintain o
Carol Storm
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Early Balogh -- raw Regency sex -- scrumptious hero -- spirited heroine -- they just don't come any better than this! A deeply sensual spin on the classic theme of a wronged woman who triumphs over male arrogance and class distinctions.
Suzanne
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
too slow ....unfortunately I was bored
Mary
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mary Balogh fans, Regency fans
Shelves: romance
The book had too many contradictions (in my mind) to rate 5 stars, but the writing is very strong, and the story twists and turns are all logical enough to hold the story together.

Charles, Earl of Rutherford, runs across Jessica Moore at a house party designed to foist an unlikeable young lady off on him as a wife. He only has eyes for the demure and lovely governess who trails along like a grey shadow. Caught together in the library at night, however innocent, costs Jessica her position. I was
Linda
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Alexandria Tale
Gosh, it was promising in the beginning, but starting to turn into boredom with the continuous refusal. Charles was rather annoying in the beginning. He thought Jess masquerading as a lady to snatch a husband. His attitude was rather rude, but well, I think I could understand a little. On the other hand, Jess, annoyed me halfway of the book. She was such a stubborn woman! Alright, I could accept her continuous refusal because she didn't want Charles to want only her body. But why she left when i ...more
Kaetrin
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Earl of Rutherford causes Jessica Moore to lose her position without a character and, feeling guilty, offers her 2 solutions - a position as his mistress or the assistance of his grandmother to find an alternative position. I liked very much the interplay between Jessica and Rutherford but the book was a little lacking in tension and angst compared to some of my favourite Baloghs.
Kathie (katmom)
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like when the man can Learn. And this Earl did just that.

He thought that the little gray companion would jump at the chance to be his mistress. Because what else could she do?

Well, she does have options because, as in most books of this type, she's more than she seems.

This was an enjoyable way to spend a few hours, watching the EARL learn!
Janet
Aug 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: humourous, mistress
Well not really mistress but not for lack of trying on the earl's part! Three & 1/2 stars. There is so much heat coming off this couple -- and his non-mealy mouthed grandmother (a dowager duchess) almost steals the shows.

Clothes play a very important part in this book -- you'll see :)
Michele
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very satisfying read. It lacks the complexity of Balogh's later works but is not frivolous.
suzi
Mar 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF

Governess again?!? With an earl-soon-to-be-duke?!? Come on! Might continue reading if I have time though I have no inclination to give it another shot.
Frances
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency
I never thought I would give a Mary Balogh a 2-star rating but this book was so bad. Never has there been a more unlikeable hero and a more stubborn heroine.
Liesl
Feb 19, 2014
Neferetrose
May 11, 2012
Romina
rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2012
Kitty Unpretty
Aug 10, 2008
Nenya
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Nobody (Nobody, #1)
  • A Regency Christmas V
  • A Change of Heart (Regency Rakes, #2)
  • With This Ring
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • A Regency Christmas
  • The Country Gentleman
  • The Five-Minute Marriage
  • Lord of Dishonor
  • Three Lords for Lady Anne
  • Christmas Revels (The Circle of Friends)
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #2)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more