Start by marking “The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud” as Want to Read:
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud

The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  4,418 Ratings  ·  256 Reviews
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud is the explosive international bestseller that mixes fact and fiction to tell the riveting story of one of the world’s most controversial relics—the Holy Shroud of Turin—and the desperate race to save it from those who will stop at nothing to possess its legendary power....

A fire at the Turin cathedral and the discovery of a mutilated co
Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Published September 25th 2007 by Dell (first published 2004)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownApostle of the Tyrants by Anthony HulseThe Eight by Katherine Neville
Best Thriller Books
114 books — 51 voters
The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson1984 by George OrwellThe Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Conspiracy Fiction
1,021 books — 1,095 voters

More lists with this book...

Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
Did you have to waste so many pages.? Waste of time and energy. The book is supposed to be a thriller and I didn't feel any thrill at all. It was dull,dragging,and tested my patience in many places. You can't state few names like shroud of Turin and Knights Templar and expect the readers to accept it as a spectacular thriller. Well.. I'm to be blamed for falling for anything with those names in it. And the ending.. It couldn't have been more crappy.
Patve
Presenta un tema muy interesante, pero la narración es demasiado lenta...
Es imposible no compararlo con Dan Brown...y debo decir que éste es, con creces, superior a la hora de las conspiraciones relacionadas con la iglesia.
Estuvo bien, pero me faltaron personajes más sólidos, mucha más intriga y misterio.... y por sobre todo... más agilidad!!
Luis M. Luque
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buen libro que me ha tenido entretenido unos días y me ha servido para, junto con la Wikipedia, conocer un poco la historia de la Sábana Santa. Quizá demasiados personajes es lo que me echa para atrás aunque a la vez entiendo que es imposible explicar los hechos históricos sin mencionar a un gran número de personajes.

No lo considero el mejor libro de Julia Navarro, de hecho fue el primero que escribió (y yo el último que me he leído) pero lo recomiendo. Le doy un 7.
Doug Clark
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Julia Navarro is well-known journalist based in Madrid. The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud is her first novel. For fans of the novels of Dan Brown, this is in much the same vein. The novel opens with a fire and the death of a tongue-less and fingerprint-less man in the Turin Cathedral, the repository of the famous Shroud of Turin. The head of the Arts Crimes Division of the Italian police, Marco Valoni, suspects there is more to a mere fire, as two years earlier a thief, also tongue-less and fin ...more
Ashish Jaituni
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE HOLY SHROUD is an excellent effort on Navarro's part. The modern-day story is fast-paced, with believable action and well-defined characters. The historical storyline, however, suffers a bit from an overabundance of characters, some imagined, some historical. This does tend to slow down some of the chapters. Still, given the amount of territory she covers, the plot moves along quickly enough to sustain the reader's interest. In fact, it moves almost too quickly at the end; ...more
Daniel
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Otro novela más que se une al ya amplio repertorio de "Códigos Da Vinci". Religión, misterio, arte, investigación, etc. Una mezcla de temas que me resultó soporífera.

Me encontré con este libro por casualidad y, tras haber disfrutado enormemente con "Dime quién soy", otra magnífica obra de la misma escritora, no dudé en hacerme con él. Error. Unos personajes demasiado planos se desenvuelven en un argumento que no me suscitó ningún tipo de interés. Demasiadas vueltas en una historia que acabó por
William
Aug 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
I thought about giving this book a two, out of fairness, but after forcing myself to finish it, I simply can not bring myself to do that. I don't know if this book was simply a victim of it being translated into English, or if it simply was poorly written to begin with. There were too many characters, too many plots and nothing was fleshed out. The story just sludged on for 371 pages and finally collapsed at the end without any real ending. This felt like assigned reading during junior high. The ...more
Chantal
No está mal, pero es un poco lento y la historia podría haberse resumido en menos páginas... Deja con la sensación de que hay "paja" innecesaria. Como digo, el transcurso de los acontecimientos es un poco lento, y a veces se hace algo pesado. Además, algunos de los capítulos que narraban el pasado, cortaban un poco el ritmo de la historia. Correcto y con una trama interesante (aunque no de todo explotada), pero nada del otro mundo. Me gustó más La sangre de los inocentes.
Hector
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy al estilo de Dan Brown, un incendio en una catedral, y una investigación policial para ver quien está detrás del incendio y del robo de ciertos objetos, ayudándose de pequeños flashback historicos.

Creo que se ha dejado influenciar un poco por la fantasía que le atribuye la sociedad por algunas sociedades secretas.

Aún así, con todo esto, el libro está bastante bien, ameno y te engancha hasta el final.
Jelena
Sep 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
40 izdanja za knjigu koja je napisana stilom koji bi pre odgovarao lektiri za nize razrede osnovne skole... :( Odustala posle 50-tak stranica.
Paulina Pino
En general la historia ha estado bastante interesante, pero hay muchos detalles que a mi parecer deja todo en demasiada evidencia. Lo fundamental acá es el contexto histórico y cómo se relaciona con la trama. Los personajes son súper secundarios y no se profundiza demasiado en ellos, por lo mismo no llegue a conectarme con ninguno en particular, y la verdad eso no me molesto ya que estaba más interesada en la resolución del misterio.

Yo adoro en si la historia y sobre todo los misterios que rode
Noris
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carolina
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh, bastante rollo.
Jan Lorenzo
Libro para pasar el rato, aunque hay demasiados personajes y pueden volverte loca...
Vangelis
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Απλοϊκοί χαρακτήρες και αφήγηση, ανεπαρκής ιστορική έρευνα - ακόμη και για το είδος του! Θέμα που θα μπορούσε να δώσει κάτι πολύ πιο ενδιαφέρον. Το ξεκίνησα παλιότερα και δεν μπόρεσα να το τελειώσω, του έδωσα άλλη μια ευκαιρία, μα δεν την άξιζε.
5andrina
Aug 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandonado
después de leerme más de la mitad del libro lo abandono. demasiados personajes, ritmo lento, diálogos aburridos y que no aportan nada. Lo leo pero no me interesa nada de lo que me cuenta... la vida es corta y hay muchos libros!
M M
Apr 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Yet another Spanish romp is Julia Navarro's The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud. Just when you thought you were safe from the Knights Templar, here they return, as heroic in fiction as they have been derided in history. This is yet another silly historical-thriller-joining-the-Dan-Brown-wagon. If it's not Dante whose books provide clues to modern crimes, it's the bloody Templars and their rituals. Surely there's enough history in Europe without having to dream up a fresh conspiracy? Arturo Perez- ...more
Karlie Nyte
This book is fantastic. While the beginning starts off a bit slow, once you get into the story a bit, the pace picks up, and the story really gets moving. This book is based in two different time lines. One is the modern time, with the police investigating a fire in the city of Turin. The other is the time following the crucifixion of Jesus. The Shroud of Turin is the piece that ties the two time lines together, as the fire took place in the church where the Shroud is normally kept and displayed ...more
Dave
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Okay, I swear this is the last Jesus-religious-artefact-coverup-giant-conspiracy-making-money-off-The Da Vinci Code- book that I'm going to read. I swear.

Basically, you can pretty much predict where the book will go and what will happen from just reading the cover. Controversial Church relic? Check. Shadowy international organization? Check. A conspiracy to unravel? Check. Oh, the excitement!

I suppose it was slightly useful in that I learned a little about the Shroud of Turin, but, really, I cou
Juan Nieto Cano
Junto con La sangre de los inocentes este es el segundo libro que leo de Julia Navarro, el primero me gustó muchísimo, aunque este no tanto. Me ha parecido un poco lento, con unas cuantas páginas que le sobran, que hay veces que se alarga de manera innecesaria, y que cuando parece que avanza la historia te frenan en seco por los continuos cambios de época, la verdad esperaba algo más. Aunque también hay que resaltar lo bueno de este libro, como son la documentación y las fechas y hechos históric ...more
Cynfully Sweet
Actually...

this is more like 2 1/2 stars.

This book is like... a real bad experiment when you try to combine "Da Vinci Code" and "the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Too many characters, too many ridiculous side plots, (was the Sophia and Pietro deal necessary??) And for how "smart" Sophia was, it certainly seemed it never showed up, oh and, I got sick of hearing about how pretty she was. Same deal with Ana- why on earth did she have to be described as "sooo smart" yet sound so ding batty, yet she'
Fernando Gonzalo Pellico
Novela sencilla, sin grandes pretensiones, a mi modo de ver, sobre la Síndome. Los personajes están bien hechos y responden a su perfil. La autora se ha documentado correctamente y se nota a lo largo de la obra. Es interesante su idea de lo que han llegado a ser los Templarios en nuestros días. No cae en el facilismo ni en los personajes que son todo felicidad y amor.

No le doy más nota porque a mi parecer podría haber escogido mucho más el vocabulario y la manera de narrar. No te quedan párrafo
Elektragedia
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Por donde empezar, lo termine hoy, es un libro excelente, me gusto mucho, sobresale por encima de la historia que tenia de el, pero definitivamente la forma de escribir de esta autora atrapa, no había tenido tiempo antes, pero apenas tuve lo leí de una sentada, hay de todo, conspiración, historia de mas de 2000 años.

y si tiene un trágico final, no diré quienes mueren si los buenos o los malos, pero es algo crudo y un poco cruel, solo que es algo refrescante, estaba sumida en un montón de novelas
Jill
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was only okay. The build-up and the story was above decent, but the ending was just flat. And correct me if I'm wrong, cutting a tongue out doesn't paralyze the vocal cords. They'd be primal and incomprehensible, but someone without a tongue can still make sounds. They whole "dying without making a sound" thing made me angry, especially when the victim was burning alive, which is the most painful thing that can happen to a human.

If you're really into "The Da Vinci Code" thing, then you
Randi
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Kind of repetitive. The beginning got going pretty well and was compelling, about 1/2 way through the middle section I started getting antsy for the end. I flew through a few chapters hoping for the action to pick up and resolution to come. The ending was moderately satisfying but a bit of a let down after so many pages building to the climax. Read it on an airplane or when you don't have anything else to read.
Leah Pedder
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a quick book. It isn't great, it isn't bad, it is fine. Overall, the plot is similar to a Dan Brown novel: There are some unusual crimes and they are connected to an ancient holy relic. The parts that I liked most about this book were the flashbacks to a different era. I would have been much happier with a fictionalized tale of the shroud rather than the modern day account that was this book.
Jul 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've ever read in my life. I seriously wanted to throw this book to the bin. Not only it is really bad written, but the characters are flat and unlikeable and extremely annoying and the storyline is just... blah. Seems like a bad remake of "The Da Vinci Code". Couldn't care less about this stupid book. How could I ever read this, I still don't know.
Linh
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud was a cross between The People of the Book, the fill-in-the-blank-of-the-missing-years historical fiction, and The Da Vinci Code, the secret society thriller. I thoroughly enjoyed following the main characters through all the twists and turns it took to discover the fabricated, part fiction, part true story of what happened to Jesus's death cloth.
Xabi1990
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7/10. Primero de Julia Navarro y que hila la trama con ingenio. Personajes creíbles aunque esas historias de la Sábana Santa están ya un poco manidas.
No es una escritora que me encante, pero sus tres primero libros los he leido con agrado.
Fabian Davy
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I found hard in deciding 'how' I would rate it. I would have thought, far into the book (as far as 90% into the story) that a definite Four Stars is adequately rewarded. Then, a few pages from the last page - I backtracked and thought again: with an ending that is intriguing, Three Stars is all that it deserved. THEN, AGAIN... a few 3-5 pages from the final page, I was adamant that a fulfilling FOUR STARS is what this book deserved.

As to why, I will explain later in my review
  • The Medici Dagger
  • The Sword of the Templars (Templar, #1)
  • The Sacred Bones
  • The Moses Expedition (Father Anthony Fowler, #2)
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)
  • The Marks Of Cain
  • The Thirteenth Apostle
  • The Last Cato (Catón, #1)
  • Qumran
  • Daughter of God
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Pegasus Secret (Lang Reilly #1)
  • The Secret Supper
  • The Thieves Of Heaven (Michael St. Pierre #1)
  • Knights of the Black and White (Templar Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lost Army Of Cambyses (Yusuf Khalifa #1)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
Julia Navarro (Madrid, 1953) lleva más de treinta años dedicada al periodismo trabajando en los principales medios de comunicación de este país, tanto en prensa escrita como en radio y televisión.

Después de publicar varios libros de actualidad política como Nosotros, la transición; Entre Felipe y Aznar; La izquierda que viene, y Señora presidenta, se atrevió con la novela y consiguió un éxito sin
More about Julia Navarro...
“Bajó los escalones sin mirar atrás, sintiendo la mirada de D’Alaqua, sabiendo que nadie tiene poder sobre el pasado, que éste no se puede cambiar y que el presente es un reflejo de lo que fuimos, sólo eso, y que sólo hay futuro si no se da ni un solo paso atrás.” 0 likes