Start by marking “Intimacy and Midnight All Day: A Novel and Stories” as Want to Read:
Intimacy and Midnight All Day: A Novel and Stories

Intimacy and Midnight All Day: A Novel and Stories

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  620 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Together in one volume -- Hanif Kureishi's highly acclaimed and controversial novel, Intimacy, and, available for the first time, his latest collection of provocative short stories, Midnight All Day.
Jay, the narrator of Intimacy, tells his story on the night he is preparing to leave his lover, Susan, and their two boys. Stripping away all posturing and self-justification
Published March 2nd 2002 by Scribner (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Intimacy and Midnight All Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intimacy and Midnight All Day

Kim
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most poignant moment of the book: "I have been trying to convince myself that leaving someone isn't the worst thing you can do to them. Sombre it may be, but it doesn't have to be a tragedy. If you never left anything or anyone there would be no room for the new. Naturally, to move on is an infidelity--to others, to the past, to old notions of oneself. Perhaps every day should contain at least one essential infidelity or necessary betrayal. It would be an optimistic, hopeful act, guaranteeing be ...more
Uzma
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The author's writing style is different yet works very well with the type of book this is. Its like a memoir of a man on the day he is deciding to leave his family. The character is immediately detestable but I really appreciated the honesty and insights. I found his thought processes very well developed and there were numerous lines from the book which I felt made for great quotes!
Armin Hennig
Ich tue mich schwer damit, diesem Buch gerecht zu werden, denn die Art und Weise in der gewisse Themen bearbeitet werden, taugt, je nach Einstellung, für absolute Verdammnis oder für eine gewisse Anerkennung von grenzenloser Ehrlichkeit und einer streckenweise verblüffend gelungene Verknüpfung unterschiedlichster Gattungen. In manchen Momenten erschien mir Intimacy als moderne Version von Dostojewskis Aufzeichnungen aus einem Kellerloch.

So erfreulich wie ein vollkommen verwürztes Gericht mit ei
Paul
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intimacy, the novel that starts this book, is the brief first-person account of a man on the day before he leaves his wife. The lead is unlovable, but in him we can see hope for the future. I found it difficult to identify with so callous a character, or to sympathize, but if nothing else, he represents a very real part of the human condition.

The second half of the book is a collection of short stories. I found these stories somewhat maddening to read. Hanif Kureishi has, apparently, never creat
Michelle Holden
May 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-2014, 2014
I thoroughly hated this book and did so even more when I found out he had exploited his own family and experiences to write it. The book was flat and I did not find it insightful at all. I found the main characters two dimensional and unlikeable. I actually asked my partner to read this book (given it was short lol) to get a male perspective on the drivel - but guess what he hated it to and commented that the main character was just an asshole. I thought that the book was incredibly londocentric ...more
Tarah Luke
May 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just couldn't get into it. The characters were all very unlikeable, and morally questionable. Something like that usually doesn't bother me, but not a single one had any other feature than an overwhelming selfishness that I found repugnant. The last story, which many other reviewers have called obscene, was a strange attempt at humor that I apparently failed at recognizing.

Damn the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list, for having this schlock on you!
Daniela
Sep 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My copy only had 'intimacy' but could not find that on good reads! Interesting concept but awful, almost hateful, protagonist. I feel sorry for anyone who is close to someone like this. Only the bits about his parents felt real.
Daniel Benevides
O livro sofre de excesso de umbiguismo, mas tem alguns bons insights, momentos comoventes e garante duas ou três boas risadas.
Luis Ferreira
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutal!

-- "My kingdom for a come"
Nadia Z.
Nov 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Goodread prevede che io dia una votazione complessiva in numero di stelle. Questo è uno dei casi in cui mi viene spontaneo votare la prosa in un modo e il contenuto della storia in un altro.

Il libro è ben scritto, la prosa intrigante e sincera. Quattro stelle.

Ma la storia no. Ne merita solo una Ho odiato il protagonista dal primo all'ultimo rigo, io detesto le persone come lui, incapaci di comprendere il quotidiano, di prendersi responsabilità anche dinanzi a scelte difficili e capaci solo di pe
Buscando Un camino
La temática pintaba interesante y además este libro lo empecé por el miniclub de la lectura M&M (ya que él lo tiene como lectura obligatoria en inglés). Cabe decir que yo me lo he leído en castellano y fui muy difícil conseguirlo. Una vez superamos esa traba, me sorprendió que en “teoría” era un libro muy cortito, pero a su vez se me ha hecho interminable. Cuando dicen que el autor cuenta la historia de una separación poco a poco, ¡tienen toda la razón! Y tan lento!! Esto va a gustos, y a mi ...more
Jake
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intimacy had me captivated entirely; the protagonist describes his own despair with such thoroughness, creativity, and tact that the reader may really feel his grief, caused by the emotional distance between he and the mother of his kids. I enjoyed reading this because to me the protagonist is also sort of a butthole, but a butthole who is so brutally honest and eloquent that a 3 dimensional subjective picture of his psyche is painted in a manner in which even if you disagree with him, his motiv ...more
Ruth
It seems I have read this book. I am surprised. I have no recollection of it and there is no post-it with notes, dates, a rating. And yet there is a row of numbers along the edge of the inside cover. It is in my handwriting. The number reference a set of words, most of them new to me. There are also three quotes worth noting. Still no flicker of recognition for the texts. I skim bits as I note down the words and quotes. Interesting...hmmm... I hear that...like it....Ok I must read this again and ...more
Sara Khan
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I have been trying to convince myself that leaving somebody isn't the worst thing you can do to them. Sombre it may be, but it doesn't have to be tragedy. if you never left anyone or anything, there would be no room for new. Naturally, to move on is an infidelity -- to others, to the past, to old notions of oneself. Perhaps every day should contain at least one essential infidelity or necessary betrayal. It would be an optimistic, hopeful act, guaranteeing belief in the future -- a declaration ...more
Megan
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrated to a pitiless degree by a man preparing to walk out on his family, reflecting on his marriage and the nature of intimacy. The arguments are so relentlessly cynical, I found myself laughing out loud several times. This is not a character who has a sense of humor about himself, but the laying out of descriptions of his friends and family have a kind of insightful humor to them. The whole, short novella revolves around the concept that "Hurting someone is a kind of reluctant intimacy"
Mahi
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a solo narration of a man on a night leaving his wife. His struggle is beautifully constructed in his long and detailed reflections. The search for "tender intimacy". This spoke to me " I've been convincing myself leaving someone is not the worse thing you can do to them..." . Like intimacy this book is a gradual build up of "small surprises" and "right on" moments.
Davide Rubini
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intimacy brings the male reader into the maze of his inner natural secrets and the female one to a discovery of no surprise. At least once in life anybody has felt the need to run away, let it go, and disappear only to find out that any escape is inevitably a loss and with that comes pain and the deadly feeling of the irreversible.
Katarina Hamunajec
While reading Intimacy, I felt like I was re-reading The Body, but this time without the original part I liked. The story itself isn't bad, but the main character seemed like tiring caricature of a man caught in a midlife crisis and it was hard to connect with his black and white view of everything.
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All were stories of infidelity and loss. None of the characters were especially likeable. At moments the writing was nice, but I found typos (what's up with that?), and really none of this was especially insightful, creative, or mind-blowing in any way.
Deb
Jun 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really enjoy any of this book. Nothing had an ending. And while that may be okay once in a while, to read a whole book of short stories that never ended -- it just got old. None of the characters were particularly likable. Just didn't like it.
Terence
Oct 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the short novel, as I was discouraged from reading more. The novel should not have been published. It is really, really bad.
Xainab
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories were much better than others. However, I don't have a clue what the last one was supposed to mean...
Hanna
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, stream-of-consciousness look at the rise and fall of a relationship.
Nadia Nazaire
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
visceral, honest and intensely readable
Ash
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Intimacy is the most beautifully written of Kureishi's novels (of the ones I've read) but also the least involving.
Mike Finn
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Not always a pleasant read as it reveals the man and all his whims and selfishness but catalogues the reasons for and against a potential family wrecking action.
Wonderperson89
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fab book I am not reviewing this book on Goodreads.
Kim
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot different than what I was expecting.
David Whittlestone
Didn't like it.
I had the novel Intimacy alone. I found it rather boring. Not enough action for me, too much navel-gazing. Very good style of writing and prose but didn't make me want to read it.
Branka Njegic
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was mesmerised with every single sentance. So well written and very honest of the whole experience. Excelent book.
  • Grinny
  • The Global Warming Reader: A Century of Writing About Climate Change
  • Everything You Need
  • Something Like Happy
  • The Color of Absence: 12 Stories About Loss and Hope
  • In The Midst of Secrets (Interracial Romance)
  • Night Waking
  • Miss Mapp (Lucia, #2)
  • Love and War in the Apennines
  • I Explain a Few Things: Selected Poems
  • Thinking Class: Sketches from a Cultural Worker
  • Yo-Yo Boing!
  • Yhden yön pysäkki
Hanif Kureishi is the author of novels (including The Buddha of Suburbia, The Black Album and Intimacy), story collections (Love in a Blue Time, Midnight All Day, The Body), plays (including Outskirts, Borderline and Sleep With Me), and screenplays (including My Beautiful Laundrette, My Son the Fanatic and Venus). Among his other publications are the collection of essays Dreaming and Scheming, The ...more
More about Hanif Kureishi...
“And silence, like darkness, can be kind; it, too, is a language” 15 likes