Start by marking “After Midnight” as Want to Read:
After Midnight

After Midnight

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  2,759 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Alice has quite a story to tell you. That's not her real name, of course. she couldn't give her real name, not after all the things she reveals about herself in this book. All of her... adventures. And all that killing. She wouldn't want the police to find her, now would she? — It started out so nice. Alice was house-sitting for her friend, enjoying having the whole place ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Leisure Books (first published June 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about After Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Midnight

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
At first glance the plot may reek of simplicity, but it becomes apparent - fast - than it's anything but. "Alice", the pseudonym for the author of the spoof autobiography, is enjoying a relaxing week at her rich friends house while the pair and their kiddies are away on vacation. One night, watching a movie on their big screen TV, she observes a mysterious stranger strip, walk around, and use the swimming pool in the backyard. Since the house is surrounded by woods, its apparent he must have com ...more
Natasa
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This book is absolutely brilliant! I can't remember if I have ever read anything similar to this story. It's crazy, it's funny as well, it's unbelievable but as well believable, I just wanted to read it and don't stop till the end. I totally understand now why everyone raves about Laymon..this is my 3rd book but by far the best one.
Ryne Barber
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Murphy's Law is ever present in Laymon's book about "Alice," a woman whose life spirals into a frenzy of covering up accidental deaths after an encounter with a stranger at her house - you guess the time - has her murdering innocent people. Alice isn't a normal woman who calls the police; instead, she covers up the evidence in order to hide her mysterious past. Told from her own perspective, After Midnight keeps escalating in thrills and twists, taking Alice and the reader into a situation which ...more
Effy Weasley
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
he grunted. he farted. then he plunged forward.

richard laymon is the sickest fuck i have ever had the pleasure to read - end of story.

the characters are onedimensional - the women all have of course fit bodies and firm breasts which they talk about a lot and the men are preverts who notice the bodies and think about them a lot .
the stories are highly implausible, one unprobable event follows another. everything happens so someone can get tortured, raped, killed or any imaginable combination o
Stacey Bouley
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I felt that the usual "gore factor" so typical of his books was a bit tamer here in this one, despite the many deaths and murders and assaults. And, the usual lack of character development, but that's just something you have to get past with most horror writers.
Aside from that,
Every page was exciting. It was an intense, fast paced novel. I finished it in 2 days.
There's a hint of finding a message within the book to find Alice's real name. That code is in the first letter in each chapter. I won't
Andre
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is the best Richard Laymon book I've read so far. For once the characters' reactions were believable. I think that he showed great improvement in his writing as his career advanced. I had a hard time putting it down, Laymon has a knack for writing a good page turner. Pretty much all of his chapters ended with a cliffhanger. Superb and quite enjoyable.
As always the ending is very rapidly wrapped up..... Laymon often does this, he wraps everything up in less than twenty pages. There wer
S.A.
Aug 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was completely over the top, a boy's wet dream of how a woman would react in such a grave circumstance. It's silly, sexist and sick. Laymon even works in a little girl on girl action to give the nerd boys a thrill. Please. I remember finishing this book and pretty much deciding never to buy anything from Laymon ever again. He's not writing horror, he's writing his incoherent fantasies.
Jeremy
Nov 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who aren't squeamish
This was my second Laymon novel, and I enjoyed it. It was never in any danger of winning a Pulitzer by any means, but any book that contains a line like "Crouching down, I pulled the knife out of Steve's butt" has as special place in my heart.

Extra points go the the author who not only alludes to a hidden code that reveals the main character's true identity, but also actually delivers such a code. Unfortunately, Mr. Laymon is deceased so we may never know the significance (if any) of the name th
Andrew
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 Stars

"The gun shook like crazy in my hand. I was plenty scared. But this wasn't the creepy sort of fear that gives you goosebumps. This was the kind that makes your heart pound like a club, makes you shake like a lunatic and sweat like a glass full of ice in a heat wave. It makes your legs feel so weak you think they've decided, on their own, to keep you from walking into trouble. But I made mine walk. There's this thing about me. Maybe you've already noticed it. I'm the sort of gal who ge
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Alice (not her real name) writes this book to tell her story of how a prowler on her property led to her committing several murders and acts of torture.

This was an dark book. The blurb was interesting and as the story played out I couldn’t help but get sucked into the violent world Mr. Laymon created. Alice was hard to not like. Despite her killing and torturing, her personality was so well written. There was no doubt I had to read this entire book to find out if she had a happy ending.

There w
chucklesthescot
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
Shelves: fiction, horror
Alice is house-sitting for her friend when she sees the naked man going for a swim in the pool and when he hears the phone and approaches the house, Alice panics and tells the stranger on the phone that there is a prowler and he offers to help. Not long after, she hears a noise outside and kills the intruder-but it is Tony, the good samaritan who decided to come to her aid. Alice can't involve the police because of her past so now she must dispose of the body, clean up...but what if Tony's phone ...more
Justin
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This is another of those laymon novels that kind of feel like he just sat down and started typing with no idea where the story would go and then when he hit his page goal came up with an ending and called it good. I know that don't sound like a compliment but with laymon it kind of is, these type of books from him are fun and you never know what to expect.
Erin
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
After Midnight:

This books summary does not even start to describe what goes on in this book. This book does exactly what it is supposed to do and it makes you think about every dark possibility that could happen because it is mentioned. Literally I mean Alice lists things out for you.

What happens in this book much like Alice's life seems to be one horrible set of circumstances after another. Also seen in the way of domino's once you push the first one all the rest start falling behind it. The
Frank
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Richard Laymon's "After Midnight" strives to be a page turning thriller. It nearly delivers. The action carries along at a high pace. The descriptions are gruesome. The main character, Alice, is very well developed. However, at times, there is too much description, too much character development and a lot over the top manic female thinking.
I can appreciate Laymon's attempt at portraying an over-thinking, over-worried female mind. But I think the character goes overboard with that inner dialoge a
James
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my third Laymon book. I just finished it. Plenty has been said before and a lot of it is true. These Laymon books are strange experiences. I read one bad review for this book where the reviewer was bashing it because she thought that this was supposed to be a "woman's revenge" story like I Spit on Your Grave but in this case the protagonist ended up being as scary as the villains. Some people miss the point. This book will trip you out and keep you guessing. You may not relate to the pr ...more
Adamus
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Laymon does it again!! This book was kinda long & some parts it seemed to stretch a little, but there was sooo much action that it keep you wondering. I liked all the characters the plot was good even if it seemed like a lot was going on. This book also proves that Laymond just isn't good at writing sexual encounters & there was hardly any sex in this book as his others just like "In The Dark" it focuses a lot on the main character & all the side characters were great it didn't bring ...more
Nurse Nightmare
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As an introduction to my first Richard Layman novel I was not disappointed! This book was action packed from the second you opened it and I found it very hard to put it down (actually finished in 3 days)
All the characters were well built up and the story was great! Alice actually reminded me a bit like Xenia warrior princess... I didn't get bored with this book at all... I'm very keen to get into more Laymon stuff now, I even loved the clever hidden message you had to find!!
I don't have a bad t
Lori
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a train wreck that I couldn't take my eyes off of. I just spent 2 days in the mind of a psychopath and it was riveting and terrifying. The ending could have been a little better. In fact I came up with an ending that would have been amazing but I'm no writer so, we'll leave it as it is.
Victoria
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This book was quite different from the other two books of Laymon’s that I have read. It was exciting, but bordered a bit on “silly” with the series of events and the dark humour filling the pages. I really enjoyed it - though I must admit, the part with Murphy made me pretty sad... Still, it was a fun book. Richard Laymon is a very talented writer.
Erin
Stupid. Why do I even think I want to read trash like this?!? I gave it 2 stars JUST because I did finish it, and I read it pretty fast to 'see what happens'. I shelved it under disturbing only because of the ' Oh, I cut his head off and then ate some steak'. Stupid. This was my 2nd Laymon and my last.
♥ Marlene♥
This was such a crazy book. So many weird things happened but after I've read it I must say, even with the craziness i did enjoy it.

I've read 4 books by Richard Laymon so far. 2 more to go. One with short stories and the other one is part 3 of a series which means I have to get my hands on some more books by this author.
Trace
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well this book went in ways I did not expect in the slightest! I was expecting a bit of a dull storyline about a woman trapped in a house with a saber sword to protect her. Well wasn't I wrong? So very very wrong!! I enjoyed this twisted sordid tale immensely. The best Laymon book I have read so far!!
Craig Leimkuehler
This is probably one of my least favorite books of all times. Mr. Laymon writes like a sexually frustrated thirteen year old boy. None of the characters are sympathetic or believeable. One totally absurd event follows another. Iliteracy would be preferable than this drivel.
Naomi Blackburn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I finished this book, but must say that it took 3 attempts at which in certain points I kept pushing myself to get through. My husband who also read it said I was being generous in my rating that the book was simply goofy and redundant.
Tam
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: richard-laymon
A real gore fest with more twists and turns than a mountain switchback! A page-turner that keeps you up WAY past your bedtime.
Biene
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween, sub, herbst, 2016
Es ist ein Page Turner, keine Frage. Aber der Rest war mir zu lahm, irgendwie konnte mich nichts schocken und es kam mir vor wie eine Dauerschleife an gleichen Mustern, mit neuen Namen. Lame.
Larry
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
OMG. This book makes reading anything by Jim Thompson like reading Beatrix Potter. The words that come to mind are lurid, tawdry, and eye-rollingly over the top. I think I need a shower.
Felitiffy
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein unglaubliches Gemetzel,,, keine zeit für Langeweile.
Peggy
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
war eher durschnittlich. Schreibstil war toll. Die Story fande ich eher langweilig.
Keith A
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. The master of "slasher thrillers" has done it again. A book of completely crazy irrational twists that I couldn't put down. I read it straight through. A definite must for Laymon fans.
paced reading hor...: After Midnight by Richard Laymon 24 11 Aug 12, 2014 05:47PM
  • Triage
  • The Association
  • Flesh Gothic
  • Castaways
  • The Killing Kind
  • Apeshit
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...

“My eyes are brown. So are my teeth.
Just kidding about the teeth.”
0 likes