Start by marking “Hell Hath No Fury (Multiverse, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hell Hath No Fury (Multiverse, #2)

Hell Hath No Fury

(Multiverse #2)

It began with two men. They came from very different worlds—entirely different universes, in fact—one using sorcery and the other using mental powers and steam-age technology. They met in a virgin forest on a duplicate planet Earth. Neither side knows who shot first, but each blames the other, and it doesn't really matter, now, because war has begun.

War between the univer
Published March 6th 2007 by Baen (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hell Hath No Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Hath No Fury

Liviu
(review November 2015 on something like the 4th or 5th complete read)

For an introduction to the series (and its publication history and travails) see my review of Hell's gate

Here I will add a few comments about this one:

- non-stop action and a book that cannot literally be put down; while hell's gate has slower moments, this just rolls from page one until the end some 500 pages or so later; useful glossary especially for the corresponding names of places,
Scott Holstad
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Second in the Multiverse series created by David Weber and Linda Evans, Hell Hath No Fury is quite excellent. If one can stomach quite a bit of violence. For violent it is. Two separate worlds in two separate universes, each exploring new alternate universes through portals they’ve discovered, encounter each other in the first book. And Arcana, the magical, militaristic culture run entirely by spells attacks a civilian survey crew from Sharona, which is a technology-based world, of a WW I era of ...more
Ron
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Another multi-verse book; another cliff-hanger ending. Oh, no, it's not over. Weber was introducing new characters and sub-plots halfway through his tome (Admittedly, half the length of Hell's Gate.)

Like the Honor Harrington books, long on fully realized cultures and characters, but beginning to look like another never-ending tale. I'm thinking Robert Jordan. That may sound like a complement; it's not. (Publishers and authors may enjoy the royalties, but readers start feeling betrayed.)

A good re
Kjirstin
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military, war, audio
Gaaah! The cliffhangers! I guess I'm just glad that I didn't have to wait all those years between book 2 and book 3... I'm downloading Book 3 right now and will begin it tomorrow morning on the commute to work (I'm listening to audio versions of this series).

But, more to the point -- much more action-packed than Hell's Gate (book 1), and it brings us deeper into the conflict that is happening here. The bad guys are very VERY bad and there were a few times I would have been happy to strangle one
Robert Scott
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
--This might turn into an interesting series, as it is certainly convoluted enough with twists, turns, spatial incongruities an plenty of outright mayhem. While the Ternathian Empire including the PAAF (Portal Authority Armed Forces) believe that negotiations are in progress to determine the encroachment of the Union of Arcana on their territory, the only communications network available is being destroyed and the forts guarding the portals are overrun. An entire army had advanced over 4000 mile ...more
The Fallen
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent sequel to the first, with interesting battles and characters, though The politics on the Sharonian Side did get a bit tiring after a while.
I also found the Sharonian characters less well developed than their arcanan counterparts, particularly annoying was the hero worship for the Calirath Family and the fact that the villains on the Sharonian Side don't seem to have any motivations for their actions other than hatred of the Caliraths.

All in all, A good second instalment.
Jeff Daly
Narrator: Mark Boyett

2/5
Don’t feel like there was much more value added from this book compared to the previous.

started: 2017-09-30.Sep.Sat 16:04:19
finished: 2017-10-10.Oct.Tue 16:11:50
duration: 18h:59m
Greg
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-scifi
Very good book and interesting concept.
Joe
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We waited TEN YEARS for this! Thankfully it's 800+ pages that turn VERY quickly!
Jerry Chambers
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read

I really enjoyed this book. It flowed easily between the several story lines. I love the whole concept of the multiverse.
Stephen Davis
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Very uneven story telling. So much of the book was boring. There were some good action elements and character building, but the authors have a tendency to drag the minutia on a bit.
Kathy Davie
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military, sci-fi
Second in the Multiverse military science-fiction series. And it had better not be the last!

My Take
Weber, Evans, you simply cannot leave me hanging like this!

The deaths, the sacrifices made. The subsection of the Act of Unification requiring a chan Calirath to marry into Chava Busar's family, but then there's that Glimpse that the emperor had involving Darcel Kinlafia with a child and his daughter. The Arcanans are at a temporary standstill while the Sharonians are trying to recoup from the atta
William Bentrim
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hell Hath No Fury by David Weber and Linda Evans

Book two of the Multiverse series is also most engrossing. Evan’s and Weber’s portrayal of two unique civilizations on a road to conflict progress to the actual conflict itself. Arcana base magic technology challenges Sharona’s psychic talents and their science based technology. The multi-universal aspect is that both civilizations have discovered portal to alternate earths that have no populations until they confront each other.

David Weber and Li
Charles D.
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I guess the best description of this book is "ponderous". It's not that the writing isn't good or that the characters aren't interesting but that it's trying to convey a HUGE scope. You've got two entirely different civilizations clashing and neither side is really the "bad guy." I must hand it to David and Linda for starting such a project but I'm not certain I would try it. This must have been like constructing a scale model of the Taj Mahal out of toothpicks.

In any case the action and stories
David L
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two things first. One is that this review is of the Kindle ebook from Baen. The second is that this book, like the first, was co-written with Linda Evans.

This book avoids the errors of the first. It is action packed, fast paced, and shorter. It is an excellent read.

If anything the book is too short! It only just manages to deal with all the major characters, although three of them, and an interesting possible sub-plot, have just disappeared. 8% of the book is glossary and list of characters tack
Lissibith
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, novel, sci-fi
This book was a regretful DNF for me.

I can't shake the feeling this is a decent book. The politics seem convoluted but not impenetrable. There's a wide variety of characters, and the dichotomy of one army with advanced tech and the other with magic and dragons was really cool. There were scenes that I got really invested in, absolutely loved.

But man, I just did not CARE and I'm not entirely sure why. Part of it was probably the unusual naming conventions that left me having difficulty different
Damian
Feb 10, 2008 rated it liked it
The Hells Gate series explores what would happen if two radically different societies clashed in a universe where trans-dimensional gates exist. Imagine a 3 mile wide window into another Earth which is completely devoid of humans and somewhere on that alter-Earth is another gate leading to another alter-Earth. Repeat 6 or 7 times.

Arcana is a civilization where magic is the the primary form of technology. Dragons exist and are used for warfare and transportation. Many people have PC's (personal c
Brian
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second book of the Multiverse series is all action! From beginning to end, I found this book very hard to put down. You will need to read the first book (Hell's Gate) of this series to basically understand what is going on, and what happened prior.

This is a very violent and evil book. A lot of treachery and lies are involved. If you can't stomach systematic torture and violent battles, stay away. There are many times that I was literally pissed off at a character or two in this book, which o
Gary
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
An interesting followup to "Hell's Gate" by the same authors.

A bit slow in pacing, but overall not bad.

It's the story of two earthlike worlds that have found "Portals" between parallel universes. Until the events of the first book, both thought their civilizations were the only ones in the universe.

on the one hand, you have Arcana, which uses a form of "technology" based on magic, including lots of usage of magical creatures, which have been produced through a form of magical genetic engineerin
Jean
For those who like to read ebooks, this one, and the first in the series, Hell's Gate, are both available free from Baen. You can find a copy at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

I enjoyed both this book and the prequel, although I'm not as into the detailed descriptions of tactics as Weber is and I tend to skim through those parts. I particularly liked the way in which the initial situation escalates through a series of mistakes, misunderstandings and miscalculations, allowing you to empathise
Joseph Mitchell
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
As you can clearly see by my five star review I really enjoyed this book and its predecessor. I believe this series has the potential to be one of the best series that I have ever read. If or when David Weber and Linda Evans finish this series I believe it will rival his Honor Harrington series. The basic plot line of the series is one of the best I've ever seen. The potential of this series is quite literally boundless. Who will win between the two worlds is still up in the air. With the gates ...more
Michael
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I actually liked this one as well as well as "Hells Gate" despite the low star rating that I gave it. Unfortunately this book ends with the story completely up in the air. While I find that annoying in general, I can accept it when the next book is on the way. It looks like they intended on at least two more books to complete the story but now nearly 7 years later still no further concluding book. I am very disappointed in the abrupt ending and despite my great review of the first book I would n ...more
Camilo Emiliano  Rosas Echeverria
Military science-fiction by David Weber: travel among parallel hearts, a civilization with magic against one with technology and psionic powers; what's not to like?
The book is very poorly written, and not at all in Weber's style.
At first a set of characters from one of the universes is introduced. It's extremely boring and pedantic: very long expositions, lots of "as everyone knows" internal monologues.
And then it goes all over again for another set of characters from another universe.
I could no
Chris
Nov 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, unfinished
After the prologue and chapter 1, I gave up. This series has the same fundamental problem as the Honor Harrington books, but much worse. Both authors write military fiction. The whole series concept is a conflict between two civilizations. But for various reasons, they keep nominally trying to avoid battle, and agonizing over how bad an actual war would be.

In the Harrington books there's more going on, and a historical aspect, and more transformation of conflict. Here, the trains have been heade
Jeremy
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Not the worst book in the world, but a "Not to read" all the same -- for if no other reason then it does not look like the trilogy will ever be finished. The first 50 pages was a struggle to get though, although if picked up after that.
After 3 years of no book three, acording to the authers websites it does not look like a book 3 will be happening, and as this book leaves off on a cliffhanger, its something to avoid until (if ever) they are all writen.
Nihonjoe
This second book in the series was easier to get into as I was used to the constant POV jumping, and I was familiar with most of the characters. I liked this one a little bit more than the last, too, though not enough more to jump up to five stars.

It has been a while since this book came out, too, so hopefully Weber and Evans will toss us another book in the series soon. This one ends on a cliffhanger of sorts.
Ian
Like the first book, there was nothing profound here. Nothing all that thought-provoking. But I tell you what, these books are a helluvalotta fun. Not anywhere close to the "best" books I've read, however you want to define "best" ... but tunz and tunz of fun and impossible to put down. So that's gotta count for something.
Kevin Brown
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-ficition
Two world spanning empires are going to war. One with magic and dragons the other with psionics and guns. The mages are being pushed into this war by a clandestine group from within. While discussing peace the magic side plans then executes a surprise attack. We spend enough time with both sides and the people to flesh out more of the universe as well as the people on both sides.
Bryan457
May 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dragons, military, fantasy
I love the story concept.
This book went by quite slowly, and I was left feeling as though the story did not move forward very much at all. In fact, this book really felt like it was deliberately slowed down so there would be more books in the series to sell, AKA milking it for all its worth.
George Riggs
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good Book. I like the two different worlds and Technology vs Magic. I am always wondering what the writers are going to dream up next to counter each others type of technology or powers. I appreciated the Glossary at end of book. Looking forward to reading more of this series...
Goodreads Librari...: Description 2 12 Aug 05, 2018 03:43PM

• Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • Claws That Catch (Looking Glass, #4)
  • Ring of Fire (Ring of Fire Anthology, #1)
  • The Tank Lords
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Multiverse (3 books)
  • Hell's Gate (Multiverse, #1)
  • The Road to Hell (Multiverse, #3)