Start by marking “The Trial Of Sören Qvist” as Want to Read:
The Trial Of Sören Qvist

The Trial Of Sören Qvist

(Cases of Circumstantial Evidence)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The second Case of Circumstantial Evidence.
Published July 1st 1983 by Swallow Press (first published July 1st 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Trial Of Sören Qvist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trial Of Sören Qvist

Elizabeth (Alaska)
I think I tripped over this when I was entering the California Book awards. I wish she were better known, but apparently she wasn't very well known in her time. This is a fictionalized account of true events that took place in Jutland in 1625 and 1646. It opens in 1646 so we know what really happened and then we are taken to the time of the events themselves. Despite beginning with what many would call a huge spoiler - and that would normally be my reaction - it actually enhances the story.

Whil
Regina López Muñoz
Fantástica recreación novelada de otro caso histórico de pruebas circunstanciales, esta vez en una Dinamarca de mediados del siglo XVII que recuerda a Dreyer.
Deseando leer el que me falta de esta trilogía, “El fantasma de Monsieur Scarron”.
Peggy Marble
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Exceptional writer in every way.......
Mark
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vivid recreation of life in medeaval Denmark. Humane and involving.
Maureen Milton
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adults, arbor-seniors
Although it's been a while since I read The Wife of Martin Guerre, I think I liked this second of Janet Lewis's fictional development of historical cases of circumstantial evidence. Set in 17th century Denmark, the story is rich with detail about place and character. Here he describes an alehouse wife come upon by a traveler, Niels Bruus, who figures largely in the unfolding of the plot. "A young woman with a good tall figure, a firm bosom and straight shoulders, came out of the inn and closed t ...more
David
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 256 page novel is based on an actual 17th century legal case (of 1625) based on circumstantial evidence. The title can be taken two ways - either as a legal trial, or just as well as an ethical, moral, religious "trial" of the Danish pastor.

Lewis sets the story off with four chapters telling the conclusion of this miscarriage of judgment which came from an antagonistic bully of a man named Morten Bruus taking a suicide victim's corpse and dressing it up in his feeble brother Niels' clothes
Chris Bushman
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I first read The Trial Of Soren Qvist as an undergraduate when it was assigned in a Bible As literature course. It was included in the syllabus due to its parallels with the story of Job from the OT (we also read J.B. by Archibald MacLeish).

I remembered the book fondly as a quiet but compelling story in the vein of one of my favorite authors, Iaak Dinesen. It may be that I associate this book with the style of Dinesen due to its 17th century Danish setting, but I think the parallels are valid.

I
Marcia
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second of three novels written by Janet Lewis that were gathered into one edition for the book Cases of Circumstantial Evidence. I enjoyed this one a little more than the first. She has a beautiful writing style that fits well with the time period hat these stories occur.
Pascal
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
While trying to read the book for several weeks I passed the cryptic and slow start to reach the heart of the novel and went through this enjoyable part much quicker. Enjoyed the book overall, a good drama set in XVII century Denmark, the failed justice and the guilt of a pastor.
Tierney
Jan 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this book, and would recomend it to anyone who reads, because it all depends on how you see it.
Jane Routley
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this . Very moving beautiful book though I would have liked an epilogue to go with the prologue. The writing was very poetic, well judged and evoked Denmark beautifully.
John Mcchesney-young
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent book, beautifully written, but be prepared for sadness.
Molly
sharen litwin
Aug 30, 2015
Aug 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Janet Loxley Lewis was an American novelist and poet.

(wikipedia)

Cases of Circumstantial Evidence (3 books)
  • The Wife of Martin Guerre