Start by marking “The Ugly Chinaman and the Crisis of Chinese Culture” as Want to Read:
The Ugly Chinaman and the Crisis of Chinese Culture

The Ugly Chinaman and the Crisis of Chinese Culture

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This critique of the Chinese was banned in mainland China by Communist Party officials. This edition includes a selection of Bo Yang's speeches, writings and media interviews, as well as a sample of the reactions his comments have provoked.
Hardcover
Published December 1st 1992 by Allen & Unwin Australia (first published 1981)

Mizuki
Apr 21, 2014 marked it as to-read
Well,Mr. Bo Yang wrote this book some 40 or 30 years ago in Taiwan, but what he had said about Chinese and the ugly side of Chinese culture still rings true after so many years.

Is there any improvement for the Chinese as a whole? So far as a Chinese I can't see any. Sad, isn't it?

Today, when I heard someone said citizens and students who dared to stand up to protest and fight for their right 'have it coming' when they end up being crushed down and killed off by the Chinese government, I especial
Troy Parfitt
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book after seven or eight years of living in Taiwan. I had known about it for a while, but Taiwanese bookstores, usually well-stocked with English language books about China and Taiwan, did not carry it. No wonder. I finally found someone with a copy and then took it to a printer to get my own copy – the Taiwanese way. The Taiwanese believe, not in copyright, but copyleft. Get it? I underlined so many passages in the thin volume it looked like it had been in the custody of a chop-wie ...more
Huyen
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
an interesting and hilarious exposure of the dark side of the Chinese civilization from an insider. comparing with the works by Lu Tun, nothing much seems to have changed in the Chinese way of thinking. Bo Yang blames the current situation on the very long history of Confucianism and its incompatibility with competition, commerce, innovation, and change of the status quo. consequently, the Chinese are:
1, intolerant of criticism (Bo Yang was imprisoned 9 years for writing these things)
2, constant
Boysie Freeman (not my real name, it's just my Internet name)
If you are a Westerner and spend most of your time with people who are not Asian then this book is not for you. You have been warned. Most interesting parts of it cannot be translated into English.

I don't want to say more about the view of the author on Chinese culture and Confucius teachings. People have already did that. Apart from the harsh, relentless aspect of this book, Bo Yang is a hilarious person and his writing never fails to put a big grin on my face.

By the way, I think the way Bo Yan
Vivian
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
When I read the first one fifth of the book I can't be agree more with the author. I have a long time interacting and living with Chinese people myself and they really have many different and unique thinking/habits. However the more I read, the more I feel his argument isn't different from those teenagers who constantly blaming and complaining. He looked down Chinese social, culture and knowledge. I'm not Chinese, I don't have any special emotion or feeling toward them compare with other countri ...more
Lynn
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book was written some thirty years ago, yet many things he said about Chinese and Chinese culture are still true today. As a Chinese, I find this fact rather sad and frustrating. Quite a lot of people in mainland China have read this book, and they came to realise the problems and the crisis we're having, or as a matter of fact, we have known what our troubles are for a long time, but the tricky thing is we haven't found a cure to the rotten diseases which are killing China from inside out.

J
Maggie
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sad reality of the Chinese people revealed by the very hands of one of the most notable Chinese writers of the last century - Bo Yang
Phuong
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was just fine, not as good as I heard about. The author bragged way too much about Western cultures/what he encountered in America.
D
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture
An absolute must read for any westerner BEFORE going to Asia, especially China.
Huyen Nguyen
May 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5 sao
Không bàn tới việc điều tác giả nói là đúng hay sai vì mình chả hiểu biết nhiều lắm về văn hoá các nước, chỉ thấy rằng cách tác giả đưa ra ví dụ chung chung cho thấy nhận xét của ông khá là phiến diện.
Chẳng hạn vd về một vụ "delay" máy bay ở Mỹ mà tác giả chứng kiến, người dân Mỹ khá là thản nhiên, người thì trò chuyện, người ôm lap làm việc. Trong khi đó NẾU LÀ người TQ thì hẳn là đã làm loạn lên rồi than thở om sòm này nọ.
Nếu là là nếu là thế nào? Nếu tác giả dẫn chứng cụ thể hơn, đương
Mark Yan
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
interesting book, I appreciate the author's courage and admire his motivation. However, in my view, it is more like a comment after something occurs and does not have any practical meaning. Yes, America is way better than anywhere now no matter in political or science but you cannot deny everything of Chinese culture and people. I believe everything get its advantage and defect, any excessive conception is useless. A loser should look back to find why he loses, but it is absurd to emulate whatev ...more
Khloie Tan
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Antiquated, but still a good read.
Leland Wong
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A commentary of Bo yang... All his opinion but worth a read. An honest hard look at our selves as Chinese... Many truths... Many ironies.. Many of our fallacies.
M Hieu
  • Prisoner of the State: The Secret Journal of Premier Zhao Ziyang
  • Mao's Last Revolution
  • The Rice Sprout Song
  • Mao's China and the Cold War
  • Heaven Cracks, Earth Shakes: The Tangshan Earthquake and the Death of Mao's China
  • The Troubled Empire: China in the Yuan and Ming Dynasties
  • The War of the Running Dogs: How Malaya Defeated the Communist Guerrillas 1948-1960
  • Why Some Things Should Not Be for Sale: The Moral Limits of Markets