Start by marking “Mormons: An Open Book” as Want to Read:
Mormons: An Open Book

Mormons: An Open Book

From New York Times bestselling authors to record-breaking
Published June 26th 2012 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Mormons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mormons

Start your review of Mormons: An Open Book
Lacey
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. Especially for anyone who wants to know more about the Mormon church. It breaks things down into a simple way and helps anyone to understand the basic doctrine and principles.
Scott Fabel
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have to confess that I have been fascinated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for a long time. I was first introduced to Mormons by meeting a pair of young missionaries wandering around the streets (with their white shirts and black name tags!). For quite a while, I thought that Mormonism was simply another crack-pot religion with its own book and set of rules. More recently, my interest has been piqued because of several South Park episodes; the movie, Orgazmo; and most rec ...more
Cathi
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a terrific book, which is written by an active Mormon and explains the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in a very practical, thorough, and engaging way. The three main sections are: Mormon Beliefs, Mormon History, and The Mormon Way of Life and each is packed with great information, including charts, photos, artwork, diagrams, and even a bit of whimsical humor thrown in for good measure. There are a couple of times where the humor is just a bit too flippant for me, but most of ...more
Kay
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Part-way through I discovered that the author, Anthony Sweat, is the son of a man from whom I took missionary discussions as a young adult. Nice coincidence.

I learned a few things I didn't know, but think this book is best suited to those new to the LDS Church or aren't members but are curious. Entries are somewhat encyclopedic and there are tons of photos, pictures and sidebars which makes it accessible.
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spir-tual
Hooray for getting your hands on advance copies of books! Thank you job! I am so at war with this star rating simply because I usually give five stars to books that blow me away-and while this book was amazing it was a book of aesthetically pleasing Mormon topics so I don't know what to think! Darn you stars! It's like a fantastic reference book that everyone should read! hahaha Would I recommend this to someone? In a heartbeat! I have been a Mormon my whole life and there was stuff in this book ...more
Brittany
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I mainly read this book because I'm not very good with words and I feel like sometimes I don't do a good job explaining my beliefs and/or answering people's questions about the church.

I thought the author did an excellent job describing all the main points of doctrine, beliefs and practices of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as well as answering all the main FAQs people have about the church and its members in a simple and interesting way.

I like how this book is organized and ha
Shanda
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mormons: An Open Book is an informative book, packed with explanations and clarifications as well as gorgeous color graphics and photos inside a pretty, minimalistic cover. I enjoyed reading various articles about my religion as I paged through the book. Most of the information was familiar, but there were a few things that were new even to this lifelong member.

There are three sections to the book, with several articles addressing different topics in each section. I really like the way the infor
Kristen Seaton
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What I love about this book is that it was written by an active member of the LDS Church, with the intention of educating people about the beliefs (not preaching or converting). Too many books on Mormons are written by disgruntled ex-Mormons or people who have never even been Mormon. This is a great book for setting the record straight about doctrine and beliefs. It is the perfect resource for anyone looking to learn about the church in a very non-threatening, non-confrontational format.
Verona
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Excellent book! One of the best, most comprehensive books about Mormons I have ever read. It is divided into 3 parts: Mormon Beliefs, Mormon History, and Mormon Way of Life. Every detail is covered in detail, with completely accurate information. I am so impressed with the honest, open writing and the illustrations, graphs, and graphics are beautifully done. I loved this book! It made so proud to be a Mormon; I am proud of this author for "getting it right." ...more
Sharon Ivey-Swofford
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If anyone is curious about us "Mormons" or members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, this is definitely a book you will want to read. Then after you finish this book, get a copy of The Book of Mormon and read it, too. ...more
Susan Dalley
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even as a lifelong member, there were still many things I learned. I really appreciated how articulate the author was in answering the questions. The light and appropriately tone made for easy reading.
Jon Webber
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Crisp and clearly written, this from a Mormon's point of view, things the author wishes members of other faiths would ask. An easy read. ...more
Valorie
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting and informative book about the LDS church and beliefs. Well written and easy to follow.
Heather
Jun 14, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-paperback
Read an exclusive author interview and enter to win one of two copies from now until July 4th at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2...
Cassi
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such a great reference book for all the many questions mormons are asked everyday.
Kaylynn
Oct 15, 2012
Meggan
Jun 05, 2013
Jacinto Bowks
rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2017