Start by marking “The Sociology of Religion” as Want to Read:
The Sociology of Religion

The Sociology of Religion

Translated by Ephraim Fischoff With a new Foreword by Ann Swidler Booknews **** Reprint of the Beacon Press edition of 1963 (cited in BCL3. This new printing of the classic contains a new foreword by Ann Swindler. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com) More Reviews and Recommendations
Published April 15th 1993 by Beacon Press (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Sociology of Religion, please sign up.

Erik Graff
May 14, 2012 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weber fans
Recommended to Erik by: Shimer College reading list
During the first several years in the deans' office of the University College division of Loyola University Chicago I worked downtown at their Water Tower Campus. Having become habituated to cafes since seminary days in Manhattan, I took my lunchless lunches at a place called "Coffee Chicago" on Chicago Avenue. Soon another CC opened in my own neighborhood on the north side and I became a friend of the owner, Candace. Indeed, it turned out that she lived only two blocks from my own building in t ...more
Chedy Riahi
May 02, 2015 Chedy Riahi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فكر
التعليق على ماكس فيبير صعب، وبالعربية أصعب لعدم وجود مرادفات للمفاهيم التي يستعملها (خلط عربي في مفاهيم السلطة والعمل إلخ). وفي حين أن أهمية ماكس فيبير جلية في علم الإجتماع الحديث (مفهوم البيروقراطية وتعريف الدولة بالكيان الذي يحتكر الإستعمال الشرعي للقوة)، نجد أن الكثير من مساهماته مغيبة أو غير معروفة.

"سوسيولوجيا الأديان" هو مجموعة من عشرة نصوص كتبها ماكس فيبير بين 1910 و1920 يقدم فيها أسسه النظرية، وجمع هذه النصوص يجعلنا نرى التطور الفكري وبعض التغييرات في المنهج (العمل في المجتمع سنة 1913 /
Manlio Mascareño
Max Weber in this book explains how religion played a fundamental factor in the developement of economy in different societies. This book is composed for three essays being last one the most interesting because Weber tells a journey what had to United States where protestantism in its different denominations helped in the building of. Also in the course of book we can find some concepts about power, State, rationality, economy etc. At least for me is a good work and whether you want to know abou ...more
Luke Echo
Mar 22, 2016 Luke Echo rated it really liked it
The rationality of religion. Its interesting how much of an influence this must have been for Adorno and Horkheimer when writing the Dialectic of Enlightenment. So much of their treatment of magic and "primitive" religions seems directly based on Weber's work.

One oddity though is how few references or sources Weber cites in this text. (ie none!) I guess it was the era. But you are left wondering how much of the empirical detail can be trusted. How reliable are his portrayals of Islam, Hindu etc
Joaquin Siabra-Fraile
Obra sorprendente y desconcertante. Weber interpreta comparativamente los fenómenos sociales de la religión desde distintos planos teóricos simultáneamente. A veces confuso, en general revelador (habría que ver cuánto debe Adorno a Weber), este autor tiene una capacidad tremenda para descubrir las relaciones internas entre cultura, religión, economía y antropología, en virtud de esa categoría suya que logra hacer tan fértil: la "afinidad electiva".
Terence
Mar 16, 2008 Terence rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Perhaps I should have put up a buffer between this and Durkheim's "Elements of the Religious Life" because the first 2/3 of the book were dragging completely. Might be because I am familiar with a lot of the territory. The insights came at the end for me about economics, class and caste. Some wonderful observations about the history of religions in relation to their social structure with economics, art, culture and other things.
Jessica Zu
Nov 30, 2013 Jessica Zu rated it liked it
Shelves: rel501
If this were not a required reading, I won't be able to slog through more than 20pages. And , no I won't assiGn it to my students... Unless I wanna torture them.
Sara
Jul 19, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
More useful than other theories of religion, but I still didn't like it.
Jim
May 15, 2017 Jim rated it it was amazing
Easy to read and understand, I found this a very worthwhile read. Recommended!
Wesley
Jul 02, 2017 Wesley rated it it was amazing
good book for theology
Begüm
Mar 11, 2013 Begüm rated it it was ok
I don't think this book was anything special but the problem about sociology of religion is broader than what Weber had written. Sociology of religion has critical problems. The basic books like this are full of unimportant definitions, naming and separating this and that. This shouldn't be the point. We all know or at least sit and learn the definition of totemism, prophet and so on.
The worst is, these books are full of broad generalizations which are most of the time wrong. This is same with
Sherwin
Aug 13, 2007 Sherwin added it
Shelves: sociology
A detailed and multilayered work.
Annmarie
May 19, 2008 Annmarie rated it it was ok
Part of my relative dislike of this book is that I don't care a whit about soc of religion, part of it is that Weber is such a labor to read.
Hawar
Apr 18, 2014 Hawar added it
اه
Mike Jensen
Feb 08, 2010 Mike Jensen rated it liked it
An interesting take on how religious people group themselves and on how groups of religious people think.
Olivestarr
Jan 07, 2013 Olivestarr rated it it was amazing
This is not a page turner! It was however, extremely interesting! Kudos to Mr. Weber for having the stamina to write this.
Steven  Hunter
Jun 12, 2013 Steven Hunter rated it really liked it
This is a hallmark book on sociology. Weber writes like a historian and is not as conclusive or decisive as one might hope for, but he is an evident polymath in religion. This is a worthy read.
Jerellen Wilkerson
Jerellen Wilkerson rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Vera Lucia
Vera Lucia rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Mauricio Quilpatay
Mauricio Quilpatay rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
BonB
BonB rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Renata
Renata rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2008
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Wendy P
Wendy P rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2011
Conrad
Conrad rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Timothy McCluskey
Timothy McCluskey rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2010
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2008
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Henisha
Henisha rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Kylie
Kylie rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2012
  • The Elementary Forms of Religious Life
  • Ideology and Utopia: An Introduction to the Sociology of Knowledge
  • Genealogies of Religion: Discipline and Reasons of Power in Christianity and Islam
  • Outline of a Theory of Practice
  • The Sociological Imagination
  • The Sacred Canopy: Elements of a Sociological Theory of Religion
  • On Individuality and Social Forms
  • Mind, Self and Society from the Standpoint of a Social Behaviorist
  • The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration
  • Outsiders
  • Asylums: Essays on the Social Situation of Mental Patients and Other Inmates
  • The Body and Society: Men, Women and Sexual Renunciation in Early Christianity
  • The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere: An Inquiry Into a Category of Bourgeois Society
  • The Ritual Process: Structure and Anti-Structure
42041
(Arabic: ماكس فيبر)

Maximilian Carl Emil Weber was a German lawyer, politician, historian, sociologist and political economist, who profoundly influenced social theory and the remit of sociology itself. His major works dealt with the rationalization, bureaucratization and 'disenchantment' associated with the rise of capitalism. Weber was, along with his associate Georg Simmel, a central figure in t
More about Max Weber...