Start by marking “Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere” as Want to Read:
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere

Graphic adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere collects all nine issues of the Vertigo maxiseries.
An ordinary Londoner stops to help an enigmatic girl and joins a battle to save the strange underworld kingdom of London Below from destruction.
Paperback, Graphic Novel, 224 pages
Published February 14th 2007 by Vertigo (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere

Start your review of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere
Calista
I enjoyed seeing this depicted graphically. I thought it was an excellent story. Neil wrote this to highlight homelessness I remember he said. It is a topsy turvy world where there is more going on beneath the real world than we know. The magic is under the sewers.

It was interesting to see the pictures represented. What I like about graphic novelizations of actual novels is that you can read them so much more quickly and remember the story well. They did a good job with everything in this story
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2015
[7/10]

I have already reviewed the novel version by Gaiman.

my review here

This now is the comic book adaptation of the same story of a regular Johnny from London getting in trouble for playing the Good Samaritan and helping a girl in trouble. When Richard Mayhew becomes invisible to all his friends and work colleagues, he turns to a parallel world, London Below, full of wacky characters and unspeakable horrors, where he is still trying to help his damzel in distress - a highborn lady of the under
Lauren
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhhhhhhhh...

This graphic novel adaptation of the wonderful world of London Below is beautifully captured. Yes, Carey has made quite a few changes along the way but he outlines these in the introduction and Gaiman was consulted on these so it does have the author's seal of approval.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the illustrations are pretty but they are magnificently drawn - especially the Marquis de Carabas, Door, Hunter (who was exactly how I imagined her) and Islington, and perfectly captur
Dan
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Man, it is easy to forget what an amazing artist Glenn Fabry is....his work in this adaptation ranks as some of the finest sequential art I've ever laid eyes on.
Julia
Apr 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
I love Gaiman's book Neverwhere and I've enjoyed Mike Carey's books so I thought this would be a slam dunk of a graphic novel. Unfortunately, the art really ruins the book. The biggest problem for me is that the Marquis of Carabas looks like someone in black face. No really. His skin is flat black, with full red lips and stark white eyes. At first I thought this was a coloring error but nope. He just looks like a old fashioned dandy wearing black face. The TV version the Marquis played by a blac ...more
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
A decent enough adaptation, but very bare bones. Is missing some of my favorite little lines and bits, and lacks Gaiman's prose and descriptions, which really adds a lot.

I also thought the interpretation of a lot of the characters was, well, odd and didn't suit the descriptions from the book very well and I didn't like some of the changes that were made.

If you just want a general outline of the plot and characters then this is ok - but if you really want to experience the story then you should r
Roger Royer
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While I have not had the chance to read the original story I now know that I must because this was a great story and is just way too short. I want so much more. More amazing art, characters and storytelling from two masters of the art. I really don't think that I have anything bad to say about this other than it was way too short.

ilu eh
Mario
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Even though there were some scenes from the book that I wished were in it, there were also a lot of new scenes that weren't in the book, that I really liked.
Above all, great adaptation of an amazing book.
Cathy
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Colourful, dense, character heavy, very nice artwork. I haven't read the novel yet, but listened to the BBC audio dramatization. I liked it, but it didn't really grab my attention. I am not sure if that was just me, because I knew the plot, or if it truly lacked suspense.
Ed
Feb 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know Neil, but I'm pretty sure that when he refers to the Marquis of Carabas in the text of Neverwhere as being "very dark", he was probably being subtle in referring to the skin colour of Paterson Joseph, the actor who originally played the Marquis...not indicating that the Marquis is a sinister blackface minstrel.

That's about all I have to say regarding this. Apart from that, pretty much everything else in it is so mediocre as to be a waste of paper. When you can't even just *copy* som
Lisa Jacovsky
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've read it two or three times and I actually want to again. One of my favorite books of all time, the story is incredible and captivating. I couldn't recommend it more
Anna
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
have you read the original book?
- no? do it ASAP if you are a fan of fantasy-meets-reality
- yes? then read the graphic novel as well

In short, "Neverwhere" started as a mini-radio series in the english radio, it went on as a mini tv-series, it became a book, then a graphic novel, then again it was transfered on the radio. It takes place in the deep sewages of London, that are inhabited by outcasts and various magical beings. An accountant - Richard - finds himslef there by mistake, but finally h
[Name Redacted]
Sep 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Awful, awful artistic interpretations of the characters from the television mini-series. AWFUL. Especially the decision to make the Marquis a Gollywog (look it up, Americans), which i found profoundly offensive and unnecessary.

I was excited when I heard about this project, because I adored the mini-series (which was a collaboration between comedian Lenny Henry and Neil Gaiman) and really liked Neil Gaiman's novelization of the show. This graphic novel interpretation is just terrible however, an
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Sep 10, 2020 rated it did not like it

This Comic by Mike Carey/ Glenn Fabry I hated his depiction of the characters. Door looking like a female joker just didn’t work for me. But, what I most hated was the illustration of Marquis as a blackface (a gollywog) it was so racist.

Book Returned. I need to wash these God awful pic(s) from my brain.

Neverwhere is a favorite book of mine. The actual book. So I thought I’d try this. My bad.
Shiloh
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is a great alternate view of the novel, but CANNOT be fully appreciated and understood without reading the book first. Just as like when a movie is adapted from a book, visuals have their pros and cons. Probably the biggest con of the graphic novel was that the characters looked nothing like I imagined them when reading the novel. I got over this after about 4 chapters, but it prevented me from fully connecting with the characters. Although I think I liked the novel better, nothing can repl ...more
Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom
Love the concept of a world within out world or is our world within another? Not a bad read, but this graphic novel version felt a little like something was left out, which most likely was the case sense it was adopted from a prose novel.
Anne
It was ok. If you loved the novel, then you will probably want to read this.
Sumit Singla
What a total annihilation of Gaiman's book! Why is the Marquis a gollywog? Why does Lady Door dress like a stripper?

I thought the art was hopelessly bad, and destroyed a very good storyline. Islington was hardly threatening, and the bad guys were very disappointing too.

In addition, much of Gaiman's storytelling nuances were lost in the graphic novel.

I'd say, AVOID THIS.
Feyzan - The Raven Boy
3.5 ⭐⭐⭐

Great illustrations. Plot was alright. Nothing out of the ordinary.
El
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I haven't seen the television show, read the novelization, or heard the radio dramatization. I haven't been particularly wow'ed by things I've read by Neil Gaiman (which, yes, I'm aware, makes me totally uncool). I had no intention of reading the graphic novel either except I was babbling about something at home and something I said inspired my boyfriend to say "YOU HAVE TO READ THIS". I'm not one to say no to such requests, so I sat down with it to (what is it the Brits say?) give it a go.

I sti
Dan
Nov 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
First off this is the same guy who wrote "The Girl with All he Gifts"....well the graphic novel of Gaiman's book. I had seen the tv series of this and hated it. I was hoping that since I bought and own the paperback novel that I would like this version. Nope. I still hate this story and now I don't think I'll read the paperback.
The underworld is just too weird and not even a good kinda weird. A dumb fairy tale type of urban fantasy that I wish to never revisit.
Simona
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
“The world seems to work in predictable ways, and you think you see the pattern. But that's fatal. Because it's only a pattern until you meet the first event that doesn't fit. And by then it's too late. By then, all the tricks you've learned to deal with the world -- well, they just don't work anymore.”
Kinan Diraneyya
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I enjoyed walking through the world below, very well done and very well illustrated, the characters are deep and enjoyable. The story itself though isn't that great, it is just fine, overall I would give the series 7.5/10.

(view spoiler)
Lars Guthrie
Mike Carey adapted this graphic novel version of Neil Gaiman’s original, and the art , which on first glance did not appeal to me, is by Glenn Fabry. His style grew on me, and he’s got great material in ‘Neverwhere.’

My only exposure to Gaiman outside of ‘Sandman’ has been children’s books, and I’ve always wanted to read some of his adult fiction. This great story gives me another push in that direction.

‘Neverwhere’ stars the mousy Richard Mayhew, pushed around by his domineering fiancée and his
Prasidh Ramson
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Graphic novel based on the Neil Gaiman book. Richard lives a humdrum existence in modern day London with a boring job and domineering girlfriend. When he decides to help a seemingly helpless and injured lady in an alley, his world is (literally) turned upside down as he discovers a supernatural side to the city and a brave, heroic side to himself.

Quirky, funny, engaging storytelling and writing with a twist in the tale. The banter between Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar (hired assassins) are especia
Lara
This is another one that I really tried to get through, but couldn't because I just hate the art so dang much. I read the novel last year and really enjoyed it, so I liked the idea of a graphic version of it, and since I generally really enjoy Carey's work, I figured it was a sure thing. But...the way Fabry's drawn everyone just seems so far from the way I imagined them in my head, and it all seems somehow...too slick and bright to fit the story well. In my mind, anyway. I just can't get past it ...more
Jana
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is an amazing graphic novel adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel Neverwhere, which is one of my favourite works of his, so I really enjoyed finally getting to read this one. I would definitely recommend it if you enjoy graphic novel adaptations of your favourite novels, because this one is really well done.
Owl Reviews
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I chanced upon a copy of this book but in issue form today.

Gaiman brings us yet another fascinating story, in the fantasy genre. A world that exists alongside ours (Neverwhere) but that we (the normal public) are unaware that it exists.
The illustrations in these issues are amazing, they really bring the characters to life.

I definitely recommend you check these out if you can.
Filipe
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fantastic book! I really liked it.
It's a graphic novel adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel, which is also an adaptation of a TV Show. They're both on my "to watch" list now!
The artwork is amazing, really bringing to life this rather surreal underground world.
I definitely recommend it!

• Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess' Stardust #1
  • Dracula 1
  • The Golden Compass: Lyra's world
  • The Sandman: King of Dreams
  • Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation
  • The Quite Nice and Fairly Accurate Good Omens Script Book
  • Mort: A Discworld Big Comic
  • Anansi Boys (American Gods, #2)
  • Stardust
  • Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
  • Coraline
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Wyrd Sisters: The Play
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • The Ocean at the End of the Lane
  • Monstrous Regiment
  • The Absolute Sandman, Volume One
  • The Nice and Accurate Good Omens TV Companion
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli