Start by marking “The Velveteen Rabbit” as Want to Read:
The Velveteen Rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  210,485 ratings  ·  3,301 reviews
Nursery magic is very strange and wonderful, and only those playthings that are old and wise and experienced like the Skin Horse understand all about it.

Like the Skin Horse, Margery Williams understood how toys—and people—become real through the wisdom and experience of love. This reissue of a favorite classic, with the original story and illustrations as they first
Published April 1st 1987 by Avon (first published 1922)

·  210,485 ratings  ·  3,301 reviews

Start your review of The Velveteen Rabbit
Rachel C.
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and deeply touching. At Meredith's wedding last year, her brother and sister read a passage from this book, including the below - an inspired choice.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
Bill
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, favorites
A terrific book, even as an adult, but it gave me quite a scare as a little kid. See, I actually managed to get scarlet fever in the first grade, and because of The Velveteen Rabbit, I was terrified that someone was going to come in and force me to burn all of my toys like the kid in the book had to when he was sick. Thankfully, though, medicine advanced beyond toy burning in between the publishing of this book and 1982, so my G.I. Joes were safe.
Loretta
What a delightful book! ...more
Elyse  Walters
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I wrote a review about this book on this site at one time or another.......

The review may be lost ---my memories of this book never are!

I own it.......
Its a children's favorite!

*Thanks Duane --for re-visiting of memories from when you recently read it!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars. When I found out that the classic children's story "The Velveteen Rabbit" was old enough to be free online at Gutenberg.org (complete with the original illustrations!) AND that it has a Christmas connection - the story begins with the rabbit tucked into the boy's Christmas stocking - I couldn't resist. It's a heartfelt story about unselfish love and how that makes us more "real." Perhaps a little sentimental (okay, it's definitely sentimental) but it touched me.

Here's a link:
Duane
Shame on you "Toy Story", you knocked off "The Velveteen Rabbit' and didn't even say thank you. Of course this was published in 1922, seventy-three years before Toy Story, so most of today's children haven't read this, which is a shame because it's a sweet story, soft and gentle like the little rabbit.
Sylvain Reynard
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some children's books should be read by adults. This is one of them. It examines the transforming power of love.
Bionic Jean
At what age does a child learn what is real? How long does the blurring between fantasy and reality persist, for a young child? And when harsh reality kicks in with a vengeance, isn’t a little bit of magic lost forever?

The loss of childhood innocence is always poignant. Adults sometimes continue to live in our imaginations and dreams through stories, so we may manage to hang on to a little bit of this magic through our adulthood.

The Velveteen Rabbit (or How Toys Become Real), is a much-loved
Ahmad Sharabiani
How Toys Become Real = The Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams Bianco, Donna Green (Illustrator)
The Velveteen Rabbit is a British children's book written by Margery Williams and illustrated by William Nicholson. The book was first published in 1922. It chronicles the story of a stuffed rabbit's desire to become real through the love of his owner. A stuffed rabbit sewn from velveteen is given as a Christmas present to a small boy. The boy plays with his other new presents and forgets the velveteen
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Regine
Shelves: childrens, given-away
The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real by Margery Williams Bianco (1881-1944) was originally published in 1922 when she was 41 years old.

Tonight is my first time to read this book. Shame on me. It only took 15 mins to read it and at first I was totally not impressed. I thought I already saw the theme of previously-cherished toys being discarded either in favor of a newer or more hi-tech toy or when the child becomes an adult used in Disney/Pixar's movie Toy Story. I also thought I already
Agir(آگِر)
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Agir(آگِر) by: Christy
What is REAL?’ asked the Rabbit one day…
Real isn’t how you are made,’ said the Skin Horse.
It’s a thing that happens to you…

But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly

description

Florencia
This review was written months ago. A mix of Christmas, children, family, presents and literature brought it to the surface.
Dec 19, 18

After watching another Friends marathon I noticed that The Velveteen Rabbit was mentioned twice. First, in a 1997 episode, "The One with the Dirty Girl" and four years later in "The One with the Halloween Party" since it was Chandler’s favorite childhood book. (That's not how a geek sounds.)

I wrote on some review that I wasn’t particularly fond of rabbits. When I
Jane
I remember this book being devastatingly sad to me when I was a child. Upon re-reading as an adult, I got misty-eyed, but was not nearly as upset. I'm not sure if that's because I was more prepared for what would happen, if it was just a by-product of being a grown up, or if it has anything to do with seeming a bit old-fashioned now that the story is nearly 100 years old.

In The Velveteen Rabbit, we follow a stuffed bunny from the time he enters a young boy's nursery one Christmas morning,
Julie
I just read this to my 4-year-old daughter (after reading it to my son for years) and when I looked over through my watery eyes and saw the little tears racing down her cheeks, it confirmed for me that she would always understand the more precious aspects of life. If you love this book or you have children and don't know this book, I HIGHLY recommend the audio version with Meryl Streep as narrator and George Winston on piano. It is sublime.
Carol
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First published in 1922, a REAL gem of a classic!
Hilary
Beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story about how toys become real when you love them enough, we knew that of course but we suspect some might not realise this so it has a very important message.

There are some sad bits and it was hard to read aloud in places, but a happy ending!
Emily May
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
What a beautiful and touching story. I was truly blown away by it's originality and subtle message... there is nothing much else to say: it is a heartbreaking story. I cried and cried and just wanted the opportunity to love the Velveteen rabbit forever.
Aryn
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book scarred me for goddamned life. I still can't get rid of a stuffed animal. Do you have any idea how many stuffed animals live in my basement because of this book?
Pramod Nair
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There was once a velveteen rabbit, and in the beginning he was really splendid. He was fat and bunchy, as a rabbit should be; his coat was spotted brown and white, he had real thread whiskers, and his ears were lined with pink sateen. On Christmas morning, when he sat wedged in the top of the Boy's stocking, with a sprig of holly between his paws, the effect was charming.

Originally published in 1922, The Velveteen Rabbit (or How Toys Become Real) is a classic children’s story by the
Terence
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: My nieces
Recommended to Terence by: Maevisvintage
This is my teddy bear:

His name is “Teddy” and I have no recollection of getting him, but he has been with me for over 35 years. I can’t say that he and I were (are) as close as the Boy and his Rabbit. I have no memories of sleeping with him nor of fervently clutching him when afraid nor of making ersatz bear dens for his comfort but he was always on the periphery of my life. Lurking on top of my dresser, carelessly tossed on the bed or (today) carefully packed away with a few other childhood
Maggie Campbell
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
"It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
Manybooks
A simple but profound story of how one small toy velveteen rabbit becomes "real" (through so-called nursery magic and because the velveteen rabbit is perceived as being real by the young boy who sleeps with it every night and plays with it every day), but I do have to admit that I am actually more than a bit glad I did NOT encounter Margery Williams Bianco's classic as a very young child (for I did indeed and very much akin to the Boy own a stuffed rabbit toy that was in many ways exactly the ...more
Tisha
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's one of my hobbies to read the books which come up in movies or tv series. I don't know why it makes me happy! So, for this one, I have to thank Chandler Bing from FRIENDS! :D

I totally loved this book! It reminded me of 'Toy Story' though, my all time favorite animated film!
Awwww, the velveteen rabbit! My eyes were almost teary until the fairy came! :'(

Beautiful book with some beautiful writings! ^_^
Wendy Darling
My favorite book of all time . . . .with timeless themes of love and loss. If you've never heard Meryl Streep pitch-perfect reading of this book, or seen David Jorgensen's beautiful drawings, you've never really experienced it properly.
Ronyell
Velveteen Rabbit

“The Velveteen Rabbit” is Rabbit Ears’ first classic story that is based off of Margery Williams’ popular tale and it is about how a toy rabbit learns the true meaning of being real. With Meryl Streep’s tender narration, George Winston’s soft music and David Jorgensen’s beautiful illustrations, “The Velveteen Rabbit” is an instant classic that children will watch over and over again.

What made this video truly memorable was Meryl Streep’s tender and soothing narration. Meryl Streep gives the
Audrey
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful beautiful story. During my second year of teaching, I started taking 30 minutes or so on Fridays to read a children's story to my juniors, and then we'd discuss it in the context of a shared letters project that was ongoing through the year. It never failed that I would cry every time I read this story -- the whole concept of being real as it is explained in the book just moves me so much. When you are shabby and well-worn and your whiskers are rubbed off and your fur is patchy, ...more
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath.

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

Tan Markovic
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story melts my heart. ...more
Shirley Revill
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My children and grandchildren loved this book and I must admit I loved it too.
A wonderful classic children's story. Recommended.

• The Lorax
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Goodnight Moon
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • A Light in the Attic
  • James and the Giant Peach
  • The Giving Tree
  • The BFG
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Witches
Margery Williams Bianco was an English-American author, primarily of popular children's books. A professional writer since the age of nineteen, she achieved lasting fame at forty-one with the 1922 publication of the classic that is her best-known work, The Velveteen Rabbit.
“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
1727 likes
“Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.” 352 likes