Start by marking “The Thunder: A Novel on John Knox” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The Thunder: A Novel on John Knox
Published June 5th 2012 by P & R Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thunder

May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Douglas Bond is my number one favorite historical fiction author. [My second favorite would probably be H. Rider Haggard, author of "King Solomon's Mines" and "Pearl Maiden."]

Anything Bond writes is excellent and I'd highly recommend.
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
[Abridged review; full review here. ]

While The Thunder is a wonderful and detailed portrait of John Knox, it has some rather deep flaws as a novel. For one, any fictional characterizations are remarkably flat, and rather pointless to the developing of John Knox's life. George is known for bugging out his eyes and getting sick to his stomach on the least provocation, and Francis I knew even less about--besides the fact that he liked to dig his fingers into his brother's arm to keep him in line. G
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great novelized summary of the life of John Knox. Great for middle schoolers and up. The life and times of this reformer reminds the reader of the importance of contending for the faith.
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
This was my first 'historical novel' and it was really good. I think my issues with it have more to do with what must be the 'besetting sins' of the genre. In any case, this tale ended stronger than it began and that erased some of the bad tastes in my mouth. The highest praise I can give it is that it compelled my emotions to admire and praise God for John Knox, and the things he accomplished in Reformation Scotland. It also gave a corrective to my perception of Knox as a strapping, bullnecked, ...more
The story is told by a young follower resolved to protect John Knox (1514-1572) – Scottish clergyman and leader of Protestant Reformation. It already starts with Knox as being a wanted man. As he was caught up in events that involved the murder of Cardinal Beaton in 1546 and intervention of the Queen Regent. He is besieged in a castle by French soldiers. They lose the battle with the French forces and are taken as galley slaves. After hard labor and anchoring at Seine and Loire River, in 1549 th ...more
This is a novel of much worth and interest, though at times it lacked depth of character and showing scenes, and switched to a retelling more like a history book (which I suppose is necessary in some cases). Yet it was more entertaining to read than a history book, and therefore easier to learn from, in my experience.

Overall a great historical novel, inspiring one to stand strong for the gracious gospel of Christ Jesus, come what may. It reminds me that God can use anyone--weak, timid, or fearfu
Allison Hawbaker
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: douglas-bond
It was good but it took me a long time to get interested in the story. I think I was comparing it too much to The Betrayal, and the main characters story in that book is much more intense and interesting.

Once I got to the second half I did begin to find it more interesting but I felt there needed to me one more chapter or at least a paragraph to wrap up my last question/frustration with the main character.
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Douglas Bond's novelization of the life of Protestant Reformer John Knox is historically accurate (he really knows his history) but its weakness is in the pacing and characterization that a novelist would bring. A fascinating life bloodlessly told.
César Augusto
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maria, a sanguinária - temia mais a oração de Knox, do que um exército de dez mil homens. Neste livro, Bond mostra que, apesar da saúde debilitada, o reformador escocês era um homem poderoso, porque era um homem de oração.
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Not his best novel, but it was a good one by D. Bond. It contains lots of Reformed theology, but that was John Knox. The story line seems a bit strained. The history is accurate.
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on John Knox, cleverly presented. I enjoyed the references to places I was recently able to visit in Scotland.
Stephen Hobson
nice quick read, good historical novel
Dec 17, 2016
Feb 26, 2017
Jul 05, 2015
Nov 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Douglas Bond, author of fifteen books, lives with his wife and six children in Washington State. He is a ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), teaches English and history at Covenant High School, and was awarded the regional Teacher Award for teaching young people how to write. He lectures on literature and Church history and leads study tours in Europe.
More about Douglas Bond...