Start by marking “Stained Glass: From its Origins to the Present” as Want to Read:
Stained Glass: From its Origins to the Present

Stained Glass: From its Origins to the Present

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Stained glass has always been an art of inspiration and devotion, infusing space with a warm, magical glow. This book is a comprehensive and lavish review of the history, styles, designs, artists, tools, and techniques of this much-loved medium. It begins with the art's early development in ancient Egypt and Rome, then traces its evolution through the Byzantine era, the Ro ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Stained Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stained Glass

Alexandra Kiely
This is the best and most comprehensive book I've found on the history of stained glass. I've read much about the topic in the context of architecture and decorative arts, but this book discusses the medium in its own right. It talks about the major movements, artists, and patrons, as well as how stained glass has fit into larger artistic trends over time. The illustrations are high-quality and beautiful, though I wish there were a few more.
Jackie
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I became interested in stained glass, or glass-in-lead as I explored quilting patterns. This book did not disappoint, as one can see from the cover page. I like both the past and the present use of design to make repetition original and not repetitive duplication.
Tara
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is about stained glass windows which sounded kind of boring. But it is really interesting the meaning behing the figures and how stained glass windows got started.
J.