Start by marking “Area 7 (Shane Schofield, #2)” as Want to Read:
Area 7 (Shane Schofield, #2)

Area 7

(Shane Schofield #2)

Matthew Reilly dazzled the world with his electrifying thrillers Ice Station and Temple. And now, Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield returns with his most harrowing and explosive adventure yet. . .

AREA 7

It is America's most secret base, hidden deep in the Utah desert, an Air Force installation known only as Area 7. And today, it has a visitor - the President of the United States.
Published February 17th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Area 7, please sign up.
Dale They do use some swear words and the battles are graphic but that's about it. It's pure action.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Warning: Do not read this book if you cannot suspend your disbelief about the seemingly improbable events that occur during action sequences. If you can’t do this, you will not enjoy this book. If you can, then hang on for the wild ride. No one, and I do mean no one, writes action scenes like Matthew Reilly. I reached for this book for precisely that reason.

Reading one of his books is like watching an action movie on steroids. I was laughing and cheering out loud throughout this book, and I coul
Riju Ganguly
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This book SHOULD be read only if you are waiting in the airport to catch a long-delayed flight, or while pursuing some other (similar) pursuit. This book is undoubtedly rather difficult to part-with while in the middle of reading, but it stretches the border of incredulity to such an extreme point that the whole thing becomes pointless at the end. With multiple conspiring groups trying to prove something/steal something/kill something (i.e. someone, who is, incidentally, the President of the U.S ...more
Brian
Dec 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: junk-food
Hard to review because 1) it was a ton of fun to read, but 2) ultimately disappointing at just HOW freekin unbelievable the story was. I mean if this were taking place in the year 2200 and every character had bionic abilities or something, but there is NO way the action sequences are plausible. If not for feats of super-ability that make it seem unreal, the timing of everything is way off where you're thinking "theres no WAY they can get from point A to point B before the timer ends in 2 minutes ...more
drk
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
An experiment to see what all the hype is about.
If you like non-stop action movies, video games etc with plenty of Wam! 🥊, 🚀Boom! ⁉Kapow! descriptions and the body count increasing on every other page, along with one-dimensional characters and a nonsensical storyline then enjoy!
Cameron Smith
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blam! Blam! Scarecrow's back!

While the start of this book reads as though you're in for a predictable action-thriller, it is anything but. Scarecrow, Mother, Fox, and 'Book the Second' are locked in a super secret military facility, alongside the president, and are up against a team of genetically enhanced air-force soldiers. To make matters more interesting, if the president's heart stops beating, a bunch of strategically placed nukes will detonate around key American locations.

While the setti
Janey
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read by Matthew Reilly and just like Ice Station (the first book in the Scarecrow series) it's an action packed read from start to finish! The setting for this story is the mysterious Area 7 a secret U.S. military installation hidden underground in Utah. U.S. Marine Shane "Scarecrow" Scofield is accompanying the President who is visiting Area 7 when all hell breaks loose and it's up to Scarecrow and his team to keep the President alive.

Whilst battling a crack Air Fo
Skip
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Suspend belief for this military thriller. Unbelievable plots and impossible escapes from impending death aplenty. A rogue Air Force General supposedly executed, armed with his own Air Force Special Ops unit takes on the US President with his Marine Corp and Secret Service escort. Shane Schofield (Scarecrow) and his team battle for control of a secret military laboratory and bioweapons facility, trying to prevent racial and political disaster. Yet, there is even more treachery as some of the Air ...more
Lester Cockram
Jan 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to cut my loses on this one after 138 pages. Introduction was great, prologue really got my attention, nice illustrations, but after that way too much shoot em up bang bang for me. Was hoping to learn more behind the scenes in government installations.
sparklyunikorn
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-sci-fi, thriller
4 stars

Oh wow what an amazing adventure I had. Weeeeeeeeeeeee.

I loved previous book. It was uber thrilling. Area 7 isn't lacking too except that I enjoyed it less, though. Perhaps it might have got something to do with less gruesome? Or maybe it's my brain's finally able to cope with some gruesome horrific scenes and got immune to it. I don't know, so on this part it's all just me.

Overall, it was nice. The play chase game it was awesome. Definitely suit for me because I am an adrenaline junkie
Jesse
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes yes YES. Matt Reilly delivers, and far better than any action movie!

I love Matthew Reilly's writing--the fast-paced action, the settings, the situations and the plot twists and, yes, the characters too. Even Reilly himself admitted that he's in this game to write about action and adventure, and if character development has to get axed as a result, then so be it. But for me, that honestly isn't the case. Getting to see Shane Schofield back in action, along with Libby Gant and Gena "Mother" Ne
Tim The Enchanter
Having recently finished the first book in the Scarecrow series, Ice Station, I have decided that Matthew Reilly is quite adept at writing a story that is essentially contained in one local. In Area 7, we find Scarecrow and some of his friends from the previous novel, stuck in the middle of deadly game of cat and mouse with a maniacal (supposedly) dead man. For much of the book, Reilly teeters on the edge of believable action but by the end of this book he literally rockets past the believable t ...more
Michael
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
What if the Air Force was conducting secret biological weaponry research at a remote installation in the Utah desert? What if the President was scheduled to make a visit there to see a particular breakthrough in that research? What if the installation had been infiltrated by USAF commandos no longer loyal to the United States? And what if Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield happened to be assigned to the Presidential detail for this trip?

The result: Mayhem!

This is the second in the series about the acti
JT
Apr 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Action
Shelves: goodsolidread
Good solid action book. Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield again saves the world! This series is fantastic, one great read after the other. If you enjoy books that read like movies, high action one chapter after the other, a small group up against insurmountable odds, this series is for you!

This time Scarecrow is serving on Marine One, carting the President around some secret bases out in the desert when a rouge Air Force special forces team decides to change America overnight. It is up to Scarecrow a
Alex
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 50-in-2009
Loved it, plain and simple. It engaged me from the very first page, just like the other Matthew Reilly books I've read in the past. Don't have much else to say except that you should read the book, this series is amazing, and I'm looking forward to reading Scarecrow (the next novel in the series).
Dylan Snell
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ashley
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed Ice Station, it was fast paced, full of easily loveable characters and atmospheric. All of which made me really excited for Area 7.
I was not disappointed.
Area 7 was filled with explosive action (literally), cut throat tension (hah, get it?), and carried the mantle of Ice Station without breaking a sweat.
As Reilly's third book, ever, I expected there to be some technical issues (which there were). But over all, the books insane pacing, intense action, with zero filler scenes/
Andrew Fitzgerald
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great action book. I had this book finished in a few days because it was just that gripping. I spent like 4 hours at the airport and bashed out 60% or so to pass the time. Like some other reviews, some moments were like "seriously" but it kept me intrigued as to what was happening next. Glad my work colleague recommended Matthew Reilly books. 😁
Elizabeth
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 is a worth follow up to the start of a promising series. (Yes, I am a little behind the times, as I only finished book 2). This is a perfect beach or plane read for those who love action and are willing to suspend disbelief. Scarecrow is like Reacher on steroids.
Daniel Fiebig
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Great sequel to Ice Station. the characters evolved, as too did the action. a definite page turner and I enjoy that no one is safe, always keeping you on your toes
Priya
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still amazed by how much I like his writing. Never thought I'd be so involved in an "action" novel. Brilliant stuff. It's 5 in the morning and I'm not even sleepy.
Josh Lucas
2.5/5
Librariasaurus
I liked this one heaps less than ice station. It kind of stands out in the series, doesn't really have the same feel as the rest. That being said, the ending was great! It thoroughly improved upon the rest of the book. I'm looking forward to continuing with the rest of the series.
Mya
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that for someone who writes erotica, I don't often read it. My first choice when it comes to leisurely reading is most definately THRILLERS (political, medical, science, military, historical). I like to read about secret weapons, killer viruses, conspiracy and classified information. When I can get guns and/monsters mixed in, all the better! I wouldn't consider horror novels, unless they had a technical, scientific and plot heavy (not necessarily character-heavy story).

Anyway, a
Dean
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plot-machine
Picked this up from a Salvo's store as I'd always been curious about Mr Reilly's stories. I've seen him a couple of times on The Book Club show thingy and he always seemed very buttoned down, assured person.
This translates in his writing too. He likes to tell stories at breakneck speed, I think one could demolish this book a a couple hours sitting really.
Mr Reilly gives a tightly plotted adventure with all the good military technology treats for those with that fetish. The story has a compulsi
Ritvik Bhawan
Jan 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
As I read more of Reilly's work, I am becoming truly convinced that it is really difficult to write a good, fast paced thriller.

Area 7 suffers from what I term as the Video Game Syndrome(VGS), where action writers tend to model their storyline based on any popular video game franchise. This book reminds so much of Resident Evil, with all it's evil scientists testing genetically mutated animals, professional mercs, psychopathic serial killers, cold blooded military commandos that you almost expe
Dionne
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
As a child I absolutely adored Reilly's way of spinning action in my mind. Creating scenes straight out of Top Gun (the serious version) with this mysterious Shane Schofield who manages to come out alive even in the most disastrous of situations. But as I read Area 7, I seemed a little disengaged - although the plot was relatively interesting (viral weapon of mass destruction), there were too many outlandish close calls, way too many locations (from being in a top secret government facility (pas ...more
Jenny
Sep 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
If you are into non-stop action this book is for you! I loved every minute of it, I could not put it down. The Author, Matthew Reilly is a great story teller. However, if you are into extensive character development this book is not for you. He elaborates just enough on the characters but since this is an action book I dont think the reader is missing a thing in terms of character development.

What I leardned from this book is that we do not need to go to the movies to experience great action, t
Kathryn
Action-packed, as is par for the course with Matthew Reilly. I listened to this on audiobook, and while the narrator was easy to listen to, I did get a little confused at times as I lost the plot - my fault, not the author’s or narrator’s. I’ve listened to Contest as an audiobook before, and found it was conducive to listening. But the Shane Schofield books seem a bit more complex than Contest, and I suspect that reading them the traditional way is probably a better idea!

There is certainly alway
Stuart Ruffell
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: action
The author says in his afterword the he aims to write a book as if it's an action movie. Well, Mr Reilly really practices what he preaches! This was the first Matthew Reilly book i've read, and the action really is non-stop, with brief stop-overs for setting the scenes and fleshing out the plot.

I like the book; it's a full-on action read, and there's so much going on that I quickly became immersed in it, but i'm willing to concede that other readers may become disappointed with the 'Hollywood bl
Neil
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love reading Matthew Reilly. His books are a great way of detaching yourself from reality and taking you on a fantastic fast paced story adventure! I especially like his chapter structure. Ok, the story's can sometimes be completely out there and off the wall but I just find them incredibly enjoyable. This book is no different. Presidential kidnapping, America in danger of collapse, hero comes to save the day type story that keeps you hooked to see how it all pans out. Brainless fun, and that' ...more
What's the Name o...: Area 51 Novel [s] 6 24 Jun 08, 2014 01:18PM
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • The Chimera Vector (The Fifth Column, #1)
  • Ice Hunt
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #2)
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.

Shane Schofield (4 books)
  • Ice Station (Shane Schofield, #1)
  • Scarecrow (Shane Schofield, #3)
  • Scarecrow Returns (Shane Schofield, #4)
“There is no such thing as an "aspiring writer". You are a writer. Period.” 141 likes
“sheer rock wall of” 0 likes