Start by marking “Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1)

Seven Deadly Wonders

(Jack West Jr #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  22,319 ratings  ·  1,024 reviews
AN ANCIENT SECRET . . .
A TEAM OF HEROES . . .
THE ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME

A legend of the ancient world decrees that every 4,500 years, a terrible solar event will wreak worldwide destruction . . .
But whoever sets the Golden Capstone atop the Great Pyramid at Giza will avert disaster and gain the ultimate prize: a millennium of world dominance.

Now the Sun is
Mass Market Paperback, 547 pages
Published December 26th 2006 by Pocket Books (first published December 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Deadly Wonders, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Helen Ladewig Ausssies are too busy watching football, eating meat pies and chasing kangaroos with their Holden cars to be bothered about killing anyone or going to…moreAusssies are too busy watching football, eating meat pies and chasing kangaroos with their Holden cars to be bothered about killing anyone or going to war!(less)

·  22,319 ratings  ·  1,024 reviews

Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
OH - GOOD - GRIEF.

That's all I can say here. I started out with an open mind, I was looking forward to this book, I like action adventure and I'll forgive a lot if the book has a good action feel. Also, I'm a fantasy fan so I'm practiced at "suspending disbelief", I'll swallow a lot with a shrug and an "oh well" if it makes a good story.

This time...it didn't.

I've never read anything by Mr. Reilly before. Here he seems to have taken a page from Bullwinkle J. Mo
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
To the person who wrote this PoC™ slightly not very good story: who the fish are you, and what have you done with the guy who wrote Ice Station?! You cannot be Matthew Reilly. That is just impossible. Because, seriously, this book here? It feels like it was written 30 years ago. By my 13-year-old niece. Who doesn't speak a word of English. Yep, that's right. This ain't no Pulitzer prize material, my Little Barnacles.

Wait. Before I roll out my Deadly Arguments of Mass Book Destruction (DAoMBD™), I have a message for the lovely person who was hilarious enoBarnacles.
Bradley
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-shelf, sci-fi
I say it's SF, but that's only because I haven't bothered to add an Action/Adventure category.

For this is what it is! Yeah, robot arms and flying suits and all, but best of all, and adventure to pick up your 5000 year old Legos or Amon Ra is gonna smite you!

Say what? Is that even in this book? Well, sortof.

What we do have is a rollicking adventure that aims for the sort of pure WOW and AWE factor that is generally missing from today's literature, taking us on a tour thro
Tracy
Jan 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: donated, 2008
This book was so completely terrible, so absolutely lacking in anything resembling worth, that I simply had to talk about it. It is so bad that I couldn't believe it, and kept reading with the sole purpose to find out how bad it could really get, and so I could tell everybody I knew how totally, completely, wholly bad it was. The only other books I have ever even started to read that were this bad were a few cheesy romance novels, and I wondered how even those could get published.

Whe
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Seven Deadly Wonders introduces a new character by Matthew Reilly to me, Jack West Jr. It's very hard to follow in the footsteps of Shane 'Scarecrow' Schofield, because, well, he's the man! But I have to say I really do like Jack. What's not to like about him? He's a fun character. Honorable, intelligent, athletic, dedicated, daring, and lethal to the bad guys. And being a girl who grew up on Indiana Jones, and wanted to be her own version of the adventurer, Jack has an Indiana Jones in a modern ...more
Lee
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A few weeks ago someone in my apartment building left a bunch of old magazines and recipe books in the lobby on a shelf that acts as a kind of internal charity shop. Amongst the 2008 editions of Marie Claire magazines was this book. Judging the book by its cover I assumed it would be god-awful pop fiction riding the Dan Brown bandwagon, so I of course picked it up and read it today on a return trip to Oxford.

I confess, the book isn't terrible. I'm used to suspending my sense of disbe
Allan Fisher
You either love it or hate it...
Reilly's writing style is reminiscent of the fight scenes in the TV Batman series of the sixties...

Bam-
He leapt onto the helicopter from the tree
-Zoom

Relentless, totally implausible high octane scene followed by well, ditto... and then once more and just when you need a breather you are plunged headlong into a crocodile infested pit on your way to saving the world from mysterious shadow organisations operating within gover
Carolyn
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
What do you suppose would happen if an adventure novel got viciously mugged by a big fish tale? Probably something a lot like this. Now listen, if you want paeans to technology, stick to Clancy. Odes to science? Crichton's your man (Miss you already, Michael). But for sheer exuberance, not to mention all the momentum of a monster avalanche, Matthew Reilly is definitely your go-to guy. He's not afraid to use mutant walruses, mutant jaguars, hell, mutant children.
But there are rules here: throw l
Baz MW
The terror of The Mummy

An easy 5 stars.
Lizzie
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't cope with the appalling writing style.
He writes a line -
- and carries it on.
And I could have played bingo with the sheer number of the word 'suddenly.'
Worst crime?
Ending one chapter with: "Jack had made a terrible mistake"
And starting the next one with "No, he hadn't"
WHAT?!
Rob
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rob by: Geoff
Executive Summary: This book is ridiculous. I'm torn between a 2 and 3 star rating because it's a solid 2.5. I have to round down because what started off pretty fun got so over the top by the end that I was constantly rolling my eyes.

Audiobook: William Dufris is a pretty good narrator that I've enjoyed from John Scalzi's Old Man War series. He does some voices and is easy to listen to. However, I kept waiting for the characters to start using their Brain Pals. It was a bit hard to separate Mr. Dufris from that/>
April (Aprilius Maximus)
SO awesome! Like seriously. BAM
Kelly
Dec 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Some time ago, I gave this book to a friend as a gift. Said friend is a big fan of the archaeological-mystery genre, and this looked to be right up her alley. Then, last weekend, I visited her home and found myself with a few hours to kill. I picked this up and started reading.

I owe my friend an apology.

Wow, what dreck. Or should I say, Wow! What dreck! The author's ridiculously breathless writing style, obviously intended to tell us that This! Story! Is supposed to be! Exciting! in case it sl
 Alli
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
What a Ride!
Matthew Reilly always brings an exciting thrill ride of a tale to the pages of his book, this was no exception.
I love how he obviously does his research so the theories etc become more believable.
In this book we are taken on a mythological ride with Jack West Jr an ex-SAS army dude with a bunch of international team mates trying to get ahead of the larger competition in collecting all the pieces of the famed 'Golden cap-stone' of the Great Pyramid.

There is no
Tim The Enchanter
3.5 Stars

This review is for the Audiobook version of the book.

What do you get if Laura Croft and Indiana Jones were to mate, have a child, and appoint the terminator as the child's Godfather? You get Jack West Jr., the Hero of the 7 Deadly Wonders. A brilliant yet deadly, tomb raiding, treasure hunting soldier with one mechanical arm.

Please pass this book by if you are looking for intellectual stimulation. This is not a thinking mans book. This was Die Hard fo
Nicola
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book - so much so that I finished it in about a day and a half. I haven't read a book that was so fast paced in a while, the characters were engaging and the storyline was really interesting. I also thought that the illustrations were a good idea, helping to imagine the places described and adding to the story.

The only problem I had with the book was the author's extensive use of italics for emphasis. It fitted well in some instances, but for me it was over-used
Soo
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

Has potential to be a lot of fun. Too much "telling" vs drawing the reader into the story by having the characters experience the events. Cool ideas, lots of action but a bit rough around the edges.
Tony
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
The most fun I had with this book was finding the disconnects and there are plenty to keep you going "huh? what?"

Here's a few for you:

West and his team are looking for a 2500 year old underground entrance. His buddy, carrying the ancient scroll which reveals the secret entrance, consults the scroll and discovers the entrance is marked by 4 lotus trees. And wouldn't ya know, there are the trees! 2500 years later, and still standing!

Pooh Bear gets trapped behind
Angie ☯
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say - I am officially a die-hard Matt Reilly fan! This was my second book by Reilly and it was as great as the first one! I look forward to reading many more.

This is an action packed adventure tale that doesn't slow down. With rough and tough soldiers and a 10 year old girl that has them all wrapped around her little finger - she changes their call-signs from the tough-guy names to cute, childlike names (Pooh Bear, Stretch, Big Ears) - and still this doesn't make the story
Tanja Berg
Not my cup of tea. Action is all well and good, but it should contain some heart. I did not care for any of these characters and the story was unbelievable to say the least. I had trouble with the text too. The variation of sentence length down to the one-word sentences were vexing. I know it's supposed to keep your interest and make story flow, but there were too many other problems for that to happen. Too many italics and exlamation marks as well. The world could have just gone under by the en ...more
Vikas
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
It was the book that hooked me to the writing of Matthew Reilly. I mean WOW!! what a story and more than the story the pace and details with all those nifty little diagrams and all. As the description says it about 2 teams to find Seven ancient wonders before other so that they can rule the world for next millennium. Fast pace, totally over the top and above all great fun, recommended for all who love to read.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Ahhh...

Finally it's over. I am undecided on how many stars I am going to give. After making my review I will decide.

So, what have we got here... A action-slash-adventure thriller book sure reads like a movie script.

First of all I nearly gave up after reading 78 pages and after my second, third and each attempt I read but I don't want to leave any unfinish book.

I have so many critics that I don't know how to begin. I know this is FICTION novel but at the same time I know this is not fantasy and neither SF so there are some things that I sure acc
Patrick Gibson
May 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: preposterous action adventure lovers
If you took all the action scenes from the Indiana Jones movies and edited them together, skipping all those pesky talkie parts, you would have something akin to this Matthew Reilly book: a thrilling thriller thrilled by its own exuberance. It’s a book that literally flies along—kind of the way it flew off the used book table at the church flea market and into my hands, which in turn forced me to part with fifty cents.

I tend to judge books in the Cussler/Rollins/Preston genre by the
Michael Chrobak
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
First of all, I didn't finish the book. I simply couldn't. It started off on a positive note, like a lot of first dates I've been on. Unfortunately it ended with a fake phone call, sudden emergency, gotta run - it's not you it's me kind of ending. I'm actually surprised I made it to page 70.

I read this book because the author was recommended to me by a friend. Unfortunately the public library (which is also the high school library in my town) only had three of the authors books - none of which
Mike
May 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
About 100 pages into this and I'm not sure I can finish it. This is the fourth Reilly book I've read and though I've enjoyed them all, they keep getting more and more ridiculous. My biggest pet peeve from earlier works has already reared its head: You cannot possibly do anything (jump out of the way of a falling boulder; jump off of a crumbling bridge; dodge a flying arrow) in a NANOSECOND. It is one billionth of a second for god's sake. Why stop at nanosecond? How about having someone scale up ...more
Neil M
Jun 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: action-thriller
I'm a huge fan of Matthew Reilly's books. Even with it's total lack of characterization and plot, it's insane over-abundance of exclamation points!!!, and the fact that it reads like something that came from the mind of a sugar-fed fourth grader with ADHD, Ice Station is still one of my very favorite books of all time. It was fun! And exciting!, and in a weird way, the fact that it was written rather poorly, kind of fit it , and added to the overall reading experience. This book, however, was a ...more
Cathy
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tricia
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate
Dec 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-grab-me, dnf
Just look at all the other 1-star reviews. I couldn't even get past 50 pages. This book was stupidly written, bad plot, flat characters, tropes EVERYWHERE and why did he need to use... italics everywhere? It just breaks-

The Flow!!! of the story.

And the diagrams. Really? You describe something in the book, about 5 times, but then for good measure, add a crappy diagram in case I still didn't get it.

Bear in mind people, I actually didn't get past the first 50 pages, so all this happens at/>The/>

Janey
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There isn't a Matthew Reilly book that I haven't read yet that I haven't enjoyed.

If you like fast-paced, oh-my-God-I-can't-believe-this-is-happening type of books that are full of the literally unbelievable, then you'll also enjoy this book.

The described locations, such as Giza pyramid was just one of the amazing settings as a massive puzzle must be solved in order for our hero to save the world.

Jack West is one of my favorite characters by Matthew Reilly.
This book is awesome!! 18 67 Feb 02, 2013 11:20AM
Action/Adventure ...: December Treasure Hunt Group Discussion: Seven Deadly Wonders *Spoilers* 7 36 Jan 02, 2012 08:44AM
A decent read 1 32 Nov 18, 2008 06:18PM

• The Secret of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Deep Fathom
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • Atlantis (Jack Howard, #1)
  • Raising Atlantis (Conrad Yeats Adventure #1)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Prophecy (Payne & Jones, #5)
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.

Jack West Jr (5 books)
  • The Six Sacred Stones (Jack West Jr, #2)
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • The Four Legendary Kingdoms (Jack West Jr, #4)
  • The Three Secret Cities (Jack West Jr #5)
“I have both held and beheld unlimited power and of it I know but one thing. It drives men mad.'
- Alexander the Great”