Start by marking “How to Worry Less about Money” as Want to Read:
How to Worry Less about Money

How to Worry Less about Money

(The School of Life)

Our relationship with money is one that lasts a lifetime, yet traditionally books on the subject tend to take one of two routes: a) how to get more, or b) how to deal with less. John Armstrong turns these approaches upside down, and looks not at money itself, but at how we relate to it and the meaning we attach to it. How does it drive us and frighten us? Can it change the ...more
Published May 10th 2012 by Macmillan (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Worry Less about Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Worry Less about Money

Kimberly
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quite good, in a much different way than other books about money or finances. This one discusses the philosophical issues with money, why we want money. He does make the important distinction between money troubles and money worries, and this book is about the latter issue. Not a how-to, but perhaps more a how-to-perceive money. Does it really work to think of poverty or ascetism as more pure than wealth? He also posits that envy isn't necessarily bad, envy can be channelled towards good ends. I ...more
Jenn Stark
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Started out strong, worth the read for the first 80 pages alone... wah wah middle and fizzled out by the end for me, sadly. LOVED the insight that we are relational beings, and we create relationships with not just people, but all things, including money...
Latasha
I have never read the School of Life series, and I don't think I will.

I was expecting more of a self help book but instead read a philosophical review of the merits and downsides of money. The perils of being rich and the virtues of being poor.

I really just wanted some tools to help me stop worrying about money on a daily basis. Gotta go somewhere else unless you are SEVERELY jealous of other people's income. Then this book might help.
Mark McKenny
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not as good. Didn't teach the poor, only the rich/average. Treated the poor as if 'why would they even be reading?'
Jakub Ferencik
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book by the Oxford-educated philosopher, former philosopher in residence at the Melbourne Business School and current professor of philosophy at the University of Tasmania.

The reason that this book did not connect with me, I believe, is that it was way too theoretical. No doubt due to the philosophical background of the writer.

I expected practical numbers, reference to the increase in standards of living, the rise of literacy around the globe (as high as 95%), etc. Th
Mikael Cohen
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting book about an idea of Money and how people think and behave around it
Kerry
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
There is some real food for thought here, and I was amazed to find some of my main issues met head on. And I’d never have thought that one can approach the tedious but task of financial record-keeping from angles of poetry and philosophy. An essential read for anyone who feels gloomily that they’ll never have enough.

I also like that author is not shy about bringing up his own vulnerabilities. It puts him on the same footing as us, rather than talking down to us. I found myself wondering what Hel
Samantha C
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some good insights about our relationship with money, but overall a self-indulgent treatise. Read if you're trying to justify why you should buy yet another 18th century side desk or sailing lessons or if you feel guilty about having inherited a large sum of money from mom and dad.
Sean Goh
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pers-dev, philosophy
I once heard that the point of philosophy was to ask the important questions in our lives. Discomfort is one signpost of such importance, and money is definitely a topic which provokes much discomfort. Examine your long-held beliefs about money, and you may not like what you find, but you'll be better for it.

___
Money worries are distinct from money troubles. Troubles are immediate, urgent, like the credit card bill that is due tomorrow.
In contrast, worries often say more about the worrier than t
Frankminor
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: useful
Every time I turned to a new page I had a new realization. It made me stuck in this new dimensions of wisdom that led me to new spiritual thinking of life that's correlates to money.
Humans are running after their happiness all the time. But we are taught from media,schools,society etc that money equates happiness. Yes money can give you happiness, securities and so on but it also comes with many other factors that could be negative side of a healthy life.
People rarely sat down and taught: Why
Annemieke Windt
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
For me, this month the focus is on the way I handle money, which, if I am honest could be better. It has something to do with delaying gratification. So this was also the month when I would finally read John Armstrong's How to Worry Less about Money, again a book in the School of Life Series.
Again the book touches on a number of issues such as the perceived lack of money we feel when we compare out situation with more fortunate people. It's not really an How to book in many ways, Armstrong uses
Leo Africanus
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
An absorbing treatise on dealing not with money troubles (eg debt) but money worries. The latter are the symptoms of our complex relationships with money that are often inculcated from early childhood.

According to the author, fundamentally "money, stripped back, is just a means of exchange. In other words money is an instrument...ultimately the task in life is to translate efforts and activities that are inherently worthwhile into possessions and experiences that are themselves of lasting and t
Ciana Dalano
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
loved the discussion of Virgil dignifying monotonous tasks. also the whole section on the relationship between money and flourishing. "Flourishing captures what we actually aspire to: the best use of our capacities and abilities; involvement in things we take to be worthwhile; the formation and expression of one's best self". I could have done with less information about the author's personal life, though he was brave to share. this is candid philosophy. the first School of Life book I've read, ...more
Rajesh Mehar
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book articulates thoughts and ideas around money in a lucid and systematic way. Vague feelings that I had about money and my relationship with it were crystalised to firm concepts thanks to the ideas in this book. My only area of skepticism are in the portions of the book that discuss whether money is inherently good or evil. I feel that the author could have followed each idea to its logical conclusion rather than taking the easy way out and saying: money is itself neither good nor evil.
Doug Newdick
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Another book in the school of life series, this gives great advice about how to think about money, yourself, and your relationship to money in a way that should result in you worrying less about them. I particularly liked the practical advice about understanding yourself, and your needs and your reactions to money. As the cover says, cheaper and cooler than therapy.
Dartaniel
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Armstrong makes the distinction between money concerns and money troubles and dynamically addresses the former. Anyone who is interested in finance, philosophy and anxiety reduction should have a look.
Jane Potter
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Taking a break from money books to read a philosophy book on money. It's a good read that makes you think of your attitude to money. I do worry about it so it was written for me. Armstrong is clever and personable.
Charles
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First book about money that I've found to be original and interesting. Armstrong argues--among other things--that our money worries are not often about money, but about the things we imagine money might bring us or free us from.
Sandeep Gautam
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gifted_by_team
a short read, but philosophical in nature and hence I took a lot of time to digest each small chapter.
overall, a good read, especially if you have had conflicted relationship with money at any time in your life.
Emma
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first time exploring the work of another modern philosopher, John Armstrong. What valuable insights, though some lessons were reminiscent to that of alain de botton's Status Anxiety. Would be zapping relevant chapters before returning this lil gem back to the library :D
Ben Matthews
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A philosophical approach to thinking about money, focussing on how money can help us to “flourish” (rather than attempt to buy happiness). Am taking the flourishing concept into how I think about and spend my hard-earned money from now on.
Rachelle
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book really helps the reader is tackle their anxieties about money if you read this book I highly recommend doing the exercises while you read them I found it very insightful especially the needs cost chart.
Sergio Diaz
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Money means happiness?

There is a bunch of book talking how to be rich, but in this book you will find what happen when you get it, and the problems related to get money, and how change the reactions with your friends and family.
Camile Tesche
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice perspective on money, consumption, status and self-indulgence.
David Msomba
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing reading.......a little book packed with alot of useful wisdom
Leo Robertson
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Some good tips for changing your attitude to money :) not many books left to read in my Toolkit for Life!
Peter Hall
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Worth a read and a few useful thoughts but for me fell between practical and profound and missed both.
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable and surprisingly philosophical.
Gustavo Salaiz
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great book to understand our relationship with the money, the anecdotes help to understand the concepts developed in the book.
Anmol
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
The book had me hooked in the start with interesting chapters, but then towards the end I just felt like the the text getting boring and sometimes not even related to what the book was about.

• How to Thrive in the Digital Age
  • How to Connect with Nature
  • Running with the Pack
  • Don't Go Back to School: A Handbook for Learning Anything
  • How to Think About Exercise
  • Self-Healing with Reiki: How to Create Wholeness, Harmony & Balance for Body, Mind & Spirit
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • The School of Life
  • The Pledge: Your Master Plan for an Abundant Life
  • Running Down a Dream: Your Road Map to Winning Creative Battles
  • Writers Dreaming: 26 Writers Talk About Their Dreams and the Creative Process
John Armstrong is a British philosopher living in Melbourne, Australia. He was born 1966 in Glasgow and worked as a research fellow at the University of London. Armstrong works currently as the Philosopher-in-Residence at the Melbourne Business School at the Melbourne University. He is author of several books on philosophical themes.

The School of Life (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • How to Thrive in the Digital Age
  • How to Be Alone
  • How to Stay Sane
  • How To Find Fulfilling Work
  • How to Think More About Sex
“One’s relationship with money is lifelong, it colors one’s sense of identity, it shapes one’s attitude to other people, it connects and splits generations; money is the arena in which greed and generosity are played out, in which wisdom is exercised and folly committed. Freedom, desire, power, status, work, possession: these huge ideas that rule life are enacted, almost always, in and around money.” 4 likes