Start by marking “The Great Graph Contest” as Want to Read:
The Great Graph Contest

The Great Graph Contest

Learn everything about graphs, charts, and how to organize information in this fun picture book introduction.

Follow two comical creatures as they go graph-crazy! Gonk the frog and his friend Chester have all kinds of questions-- do more of their friends like mud, or not? Who has the biggest feet? What color butterfly is most common?

In order to answer these questions, the
Published September 1st 2006 by Holiday House (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Graph Contest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Graph Contest

Start your review of The Great Graph Contest
Lisa
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-and-g, requested
This is a great idea for introducing kids to graphs. There are a number of different types of graphs shown at varying levels of complexity. I found the artwork unappealing though.
Haley Hardwick
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction: I think this is a very fun and interesting book with great illustrations. It makes math look fun and interesting. And when your not very fond of math, making it look interesting is hard!! I also love the word bubbles for each character and the collage like illustrations. Very cool!

Purpose: Read aloud for students K-3 grades
-entertainment/enjoyment: the book has some really great illustrations that use a lot of different media that will engage the students into the story and
Kelly Grimes
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
personal reaction- I really enjoyed this book because growing up, in school i wasn't the biggest fan of math. When it was time to start the math lesson, i would go to the bathroom just to avoid having to sit through the lesson. But this book showed me that learning math when i was younger could have been more beneficial if i was read a book like this. I also really enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book. The illustrations take the form of a collage, drawing my eyes on the pages to examine ...more
Abbie Shawano
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:

-While reading "The Great Graph Contest," I enjoyed seeing a different type of layout in a book. There are multiple animals and word bubbles to show their conversations about graphs. One graph is done by using cookies by a lizard. He wonders which kind of cookie there are more of, so he stacks them up and discovers the answer that way by incorporating a graph.

Purpose:

-I would read this story out loud or having students read it in groups. The purpose of this book is for
Kalynda
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I have a hard time with caption based storybooks. They are tough to read aloud and tough to read independently-for the age group it is targeting. Stronger readers with other exposure to captions would do well with this book as an independent read, but even I got a little lost on a couple of pages. However the goal of this book is to, in my mind, expose students to all types of graphs and have them learn about them in the process. It definitely does this and does this well--really loved all the ...more
Jenny D
Jun 22, 2011 added it
Shelves: ece-6391-6392
This book shows animals around a swamp having a graph contest. In it, they depict different components of their neighborhood. While reading, discuss the types of graph with the students: a direct comparison by grouping; a bar graph made of real cookies, a Venn diagram, a circle graph, a pictograph, and a survey with a bar graph. Challenge students to their own graph contest, working in small groups. Students must come up with a question related to their own real-world experience, explain how ...more
Hailey Dellinger
Great book for practicing graphing in the classroom!! I would use this book in grades 1st through 3rd grade. The book shows animals around a swamp having a graphing contest while discussing different types of graphs. They review over direct comparison by regrouping, bar graph, and challenge you while reading to make your own graph to win the contest. I really like how it engages students to practice during the reading in a fun way! This would be a great mini lesson to practice graphing with a ...more
Jordon Worley
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
This book is great for introducing 1st-3rd graders to various types of graphs. It has lots of great information, but it's not overwhelming. Instead, it is presented as a story in which two characters hold a contest to see who can make the best graphs. At the end of the book, the different types of graphs (quantity, circle, venn diagram, bar, pictograph) are discussed in more detail as well as instructions for children to make their own graphs. This would be a great read aloud that would ...more
Scott Roark
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: grade-1-3, math
Use this book to show students the different graphs that can be utilized to show data. The book shows how different cookies are stacked making a bar graph. Venn Diagrams in addition to others such as circle graphs and pictographs are also shown and well explained. I would use this book to review graphs and then allow students to graph items themselves using classroom manipulatives. Students could be paired up and work on graphs at their desk. After 5 minutes students could then rotate to another ...more
Aaron Alexander
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, math, graphs
A fun book for first through third grade students to learn about different types of grass. In the book the animals in a swamp or holding a graph contest. Each animal uses a different type of graph. This book includes bar-graphs, pie graphs, venn diagrams, and more. After reading this book you could ask your students to have their own graph contest. You could give one set of information and ask each student to use a different type of graph to represent it.
Elizabeth Littleton
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In The Great Graph Contest, Gonk the Toad and Beezy the Lizard compare items found in their swamp and have a contest to see who can create the best graph. I would use this book as a mentor text to teach about different types of graphs. I would set up various stations around the classroom and throughout the unit allow students to visit each station with their small group to create each kind of graph; bar graph, pie graph, pictograph, venn diagram, etc, using a the materials provided.
Erin Lorimer
This is a very informative book that helps engage kids through the animals conversing with each other about graphs and polls! It is designed in a playful manner and the illustrations are inviting and colorful. I love that the entire book is arranged through thought bubbles, it creates a more personal relationship between the characters and reader.
Megan Piero
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-ece-3607
This story provides children with a look at all the different ways they can record and graph information. It is the perfect story to begin a lesson on graphs. After reading the book, the teacher could show children how to create graphs by doing simple opinion graphs (ex. What is your favorite color?)and creating the graph as a class.
Keidra Polite
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Chester comes up with a contest to see who can make the best graph. He is looking for neatness, creativty, and accuracy. This book teaches students how to survey and collect information. also, it teaches students about the differen types of graphs. I recommend this book to teachers who are doing graphing.
Deborah Harris
This is a great book for introducing graphing to Children. This book introduces students to direct comparison by grouping; a bar graph made of real cookies, a Venn diagram, a circle graph, a pictograph, and a survey with a bar graph. I think it would be great for K or 1st grade.Or even higher grades depending on what you present with the book. Students are given activities through out the book.
James Vickery
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book would be very entertaining for children because it follows a lizard and a frog through a story all about graphs, pie charts, and Venn diagrams. The book gives a clear understanding as to why we chart information. The book also walks the reader through each step of each graph.
Andrew Perry
This book is a pretty easy read that follows a group of animal friends as they compete to make the best graph. This would be good to introduce a math lesson about graphing or a science lesson about how to format and record data and observations. I would suggest this book for grades K-3.
Kate Hastings
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: math-and-science
Grades K-1. Nonfiction Picture Book. Characters observe and report their findings using different kinds of graphs. Students could create their own surveys. Rope could be used to make giant ven diagrams (Ex: boys, wearing blue, boys wearing blue.)
Gianna Romo
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
This book is perfect for upper elementary grades and exposes students to many different types of graphs such as venn diagrams, pie charts, etc. Children could create their own graph contest and use the various graphs to represent items associated with their contest.
Lindsay
Overall, this book about charts and graphs is very busy and a challenge to read. However, the information about graphing is good and the end of the book tells students more about each graph, as well as how to make their own. Good for a specific audience.
Japonika Finch
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book could be used in the classoom as an introduction to data analysis because of the use of tally marks and surveys. This could also lead into the different types of graphic organizers( venn diagram, bar graphs, circle graphs, and picture graphs).
Katy Houseman
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, bugs, humor, graphs
I absolutely love this book! It is so great to teach students about all the different types of graphs. They give examples of how to use each graph and what each graph looks like. In the back it gives further information about each grapgh followed by a graph activity.
Megan Skyrm
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I would pull this book to introduce graphs and the multiple ways to represent information. There are many different graphs represented in this story about two animals in a competition on who has the better graph.
Catherine
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An awesome math book! Most of it was over my 4-year-old's head, but he loved it and we even did a little bar graph of our own to figure out which ingredient there is the most of in the oatmeal cookies we made (oatmeal).
Katie Brown
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, competition
This book is great for talking about graphs. There are so many different types of graphs in this story which is great. Some friends decide to have a contest to see who can make the best graph. It ended up being a tie!
PWRL
Mar 15, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
E
Katie Pszczola
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: math
Cute book to use in a literature math lesson about graphing!
This book is an entertaining way to learn about graphs.
Kelli Dana
Apr 19, 2012 added it
Shelves: math
This book is wonderful when teaching students about how to read and interpret graphs. This book is wonderful for all grade levels.
Cheryl
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good simple explanation of graphs in a fun way.

• George and Martha: The Best of Friends Early Reader
  • Saturday Is Dadurday
  • Falling Up
  • The Day Ray Got Away
  • Grumpy Cat
  • Fatima And Fay Find A Bird: The Sound Of F (Phonics Friends)
  • Isaac on the Farm: The Sound of Long I
  • Pipsie, Nature Detective: The Disappearing Caterpillar
  • Hide and Seek
  • Max Attacks
  • Twinky the Dinky Dog
  • Not So Small at All
  • You Were the First
  • Never Let You Go
Loreen Leedy is the author and illustrator of over 40 picture books with math, science, language arts, and other curriculum content. Her books showcase information in a kid-friendly format, often with characters and entertaining stories.

Honors and awards for her books include: ALA Notable Book, Science Books and Films finalist, Reading Rainbow feature book, Chicago Library Best of the Best, many