Start by marking “Fire by Night (Refiner's Fire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire by Night (Refiner's Fire, #2)

Fire by Night

(Refiner's Fire #2)

One deceived by a life of wealth and ease, the other desperate to flee her true identity. In a land shattered by war, unlikely heroes test the limits of their strength and discover that love has a meaning far beyond their imagination.
Published November 1st 2003 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fire by Night, please sign up.
Amy I didn't read the others in the series and it was still easy to understand. Hope that helps!

Start your review of Fire by Night (Refiner's Fire, #2)
Anne
You know a book is wonderfully good when you still think about it weeks after you've finished, when you're still lost in its world long after reading the last page, and when the characters still cling to you as though they were your best friends. Fire by Night is just such a book. I became so lost in it I was able to read it anywhere, regardless of my surroundings. Everything else was forgotten as I plunged wholeheartedly in this wonderful, intense and passionate story of courage, selflessness, love ...more
Tweety
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Civil War fans
Recommended to Tweety by: Dorcas

Before I begin let met just say that : #1 I don't usually like books that have two heroines and two heros, I feel that it's some how cheating and that each couple should have their own book. #2 I detest spoiled brats. #3 I hate it when a character I like dies. But you see I still gave this five! And that is because this is the best book I've ever read with more than one main story line in it that clocks in a 473 pages. HOW did she do it? Readers, I don't know.

But I do know that she did a wonderful jo
Robin
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this series - 3 books taking place in the Civil War time. I learned SO MUCH of what led up to the secession and ultimately the war, from the citizen's viewpoint.
First book, Candle in the Darkness, had a young woman growing up on a plantation surrounded by slaves, yet she just couldn't understand why the members of her family (and everyone) thought of them as property and not human beings. It shows the Southerner's point of view. You don't end up condoning slavery obviously, but yo
Olivia
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay, so I know I am one of the few that dislikes this book. I will say I enjoyed this book in general a lot more than the first one. The story drew me; the battles, nursing, etc. was all very interesting. The whole thing with Phoebe was fascinating, although a little awkward at times, and didn't seem to go with Julia's POV. But to be honest, I like Phoebe's story a lot more than Julia's!

*spoilers below*

First reason for the dislike:
The whole deal with Julia lying about being married. I get that, okay,*spoilers
Alicia
This book is amazing! It is too hard to pick a favourite Lynn Austin book but right now this one’s my favourite!

The story follows two main characters: a young socialite who becomes a nurse during the Civil War to prove that she isn't self-centred and snobbish, and a farm girl who disguises herself as a boy and joins the Union army to avoid life at home. Their stories start out separately but eventually overlap, and these two main points of view worked really well together.

Throughout
Aerykah
I'll try to write an actual review of this book sometime... For now, though, suffice it to say that this is at least my 4th time through this book and I'm still enjoying it! :)
Camille
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this whole trilogy. My book club started with the third book in the series, and I loved it so much that I HAD to read the other two. Each one is set during the civil war and each story is told from different view points during parallel times. One time we read about a slave owner and her slaves. Another book covers a slave owner who is sympathetic to the slaves and helps them. And the third book covers a young girl who serves in the war. All the characters cross over with each other ...more
Rebekah
*sigh* one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITES! REREAD!!!
Sonya
4.5

Buddy read with Aerykah :)
Salyna
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever read a book that is sooo... good that you just have to prolong it and take your time with it? And do you ever ONLY read the book at a certain time of day at your favorite reading place so you can hopefully get even more into it? NO? *Shrug* Maybe it's just me, but this one was THAT good.
I am loving the Refiner's Fire series. It is great! The descriptions are tremendous and the characters seem so REAL. I feel like I am actually standing there in the story, kind a like I'm a by s
Joleen
Fire by Night by Lynn Austin
Time Frame: 1861-1865 (Civil War)
Location: Philadelphia, Washington DC area and Gettysburg
Main Characters:
Julia Hoffman Twenty year old, single and beautiful
James McGrath: Bitter, mean-spirited surgeon for Union Army
Nathaniel Greene: Single, abolitionist pastor Julia has been in love with for years

Another amazing Lynn Austin book, second in the Refiner's Fire series. I'd read Candle in the Darkness years ago, always remembered it, but haven't read the follow-up book until today. Actually, the time frame for both books is about th/>Nathaniel/>James/>Julia/>:/>Time
Amanda Tero
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
When it comes to capturing the Civil War accurately, Lynn Austin has it down. She didn't glorify the war nor romanticize people's reaction to it. It was the perfect balance of real people from various backgrounds facing hardship like never before.

I really liked the nursing side of the story. There was great detail given to the various diseases and cures and debates between doctors. I'm not a nurse and don't think I could ever be one, so I was surprised that I thoroughly enjoyed this
Eva
One thing I admire about Lynn Austin is that she doesn’t shy away from introducing darker, grittier content and themes into her books – while still keeping very much within the established Christian fiction genre. She isn’t afraid to place her characters in uncomfortable, unfamiliar situations…or have them tackle the tough questions about God. So much Christian fiction these days doesn’t provide enough challenges for the characters – or for the reader. It’s refreshing when a faith-based book doe ...more
Kristina
Oh my! What a great book! I laughed, I cried and was completely absorbed in the story. Lynn Austin, your work is wonderful! I am currently reading the next book in the series and when I've finished, I will write a full review.
Amber Schamel
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this series. They are great stories.
Nessy96
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'll never stop loveing these books
Christy
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This book might have been a little long for me. I think the story could have been told in half the pages. I just got tired of reading it.
Ebookwormy1
This second book of Lynn Austin's Refiner's Fire Civil War Series looks at the war years through the eyes of a northern high society young woman and a poor gal from Western Virginia.

Themes are: Sacrificing self to respond to the needs of others, overcoming loneliness to learn to love, and discovering and answering God's call on your life.

I picked this book up eager for more information on Caroline and Charles and desiring to see how they rebuilt their life and relationship in the po
Diane U
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Julia Hoffman comes from a very wealthy family in Philadelphia in the 1860's. In order to win the heart of the local minister, Nathaniel Greene, she decides to change her life and give up all the daily luxuries of her life to become a nurse during the Civil War. There are many challenges that she faces as a single and beautiful woman that she must lie about herself to do what she wants to do.

Phoebe "Ike" Bigelow is a real tomboy who lives with her three older brothers. Both her paren
Sara Cardon
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this - the Civil War, medical history, unexpected characters, masterful descriptions, emotions, triumphs. Wow.

Julia is a high society girl who becomes a nurse for the wrong reasons, but pushes through all the obstacles. She discovers a lot about herself and her relationship with God.

Phoebe is my favorite so often because she's simple but honest, and so insightful and just plain powerful in touching lives. Her story made me laugh, cringe, mourn, and smile.

One of my favorite scenes (vie
Andrea
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Lynn Austin is the author of one of my favorite books, A Proper Pursuit , so I am always happy to read more of her work. She does an excellent job writing historical fiction. I loved the enlightenment I gained about the Civil War through reading Fire by Night. Right off, readers join the spectators at the battle of Bull Run. I can't imagine having a desire to witness war like it was a form of entertainment, but it really happened!

The characters were excellent, especially th
Loretta Marchize
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lynn Austin is such a good historical fiction author! I loved this novel, and it had a truly stunning story.
Content: this takes place during a war, so there are the usual things involved in that. Both of the women are very involved in the front efforts and both face a lot of bloodshed, injury, and death. A few kisses between unmarried couples, and a few between engaged couples.
Julie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book took longer to get into but got me more emotionally invested than the first one. Very good!!!
Jerry
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweeping Civil War romance/drama.
Pegg
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Lynn Austin's books, so this one was no surprise. It wasn't her easiest book to get into, it wasn't that it started slowly, but more that I had a harder time connecting with the main heroine. She wasn't very likable. But stick with her because her character arc is really something! I absolutely loved her by the end. The other main female character was more fascinating from the start. They are as different as chalk from cheese, but both really interesting characters. So worth readi ...more
Loraine
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Lots of information about the civil war. What a horrible, bloody waste of life. But the characters faced it with courage and faith and that is what made this book great.
Melissa Newman
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it!
Theresa
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Right away this Civil War fiction novel pulled me into the lives of the main characters. How clever to contrast two such vastly different women; the spoiled debutante, Julia Hoffman, and the tough tomboy-turned-soldier, Phoebe.

I kept thinking that the author wouldn’t be able to pull this one off. Who could believe a woman could serve in the US Army during the Civil War? I knew that that there were some indeed that did... but I questioned whether an author of historical fiction could
Brandi
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
(*SPOILER ALERT!!!*)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
She killed Ted!! How can she kill Ted?! How in this world can she be so cruel!? (I'm crying.)
Okay. Deep breaths. I guess I better start at the beginning.
I couldn't wait to read this book because the first was so good. So I picked up the book and started reading. I immediately loved it. Lynn Austin once again dragged me into the beautiful story. Even though I'm very angry at her for killing off Ted, it was a great book.
Ju
Louise
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lynn Austin continues to be one of my most favourite authors. Her novels are well written with such depth, and the characters are always developed well. The story lines are memorable, the message in each novel leave us important lessons but are not written in an outward, awkward, fire and brimstone way.

This is a beautiful story set during the first world war. Julia Hoffman, the daughter of a Judge, lives an extraordinary life in a mansion with maids and dressers at her beck and call.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 11, 2015 03:52PM

• Fly Away
  • Within My Heart (Timber Ridge Reflections, #3)
  • Mark of the Lion Trilogy
  • Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
  • Love's Fortune (The Ballantyne Legacy, #3)
  • Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge, #3)
  • From a Distance (Timber Ridge Reflections, #1)
  • Rekindled (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #1)
  • The Last Sin Eater
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation, #2)
  • With This Pledge (Carnton, #1)
  • Remembered (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #3)
  • The Wood's Edge (The Pathfinders, #1)
  • Revealed (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #2)
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • In the Shadow of Jezebel (Treasure of His Love)
  • Where Dandelions Bloom
  • A Desperate Hope (Empire State, #3)
For many years, Lynn Austin nurtured a desire to write but frequent travels and the demands of her growing family postponed her career. When her husband's work took Lynn to Bogota, Colombia, for two years, she used the B.A. she'd earned at Southern Connecticut State University to become a teacher. After returning to the U.S., the Austins moved to Anderson, Indiana, Thunder Bay, Ontario, and later ...more

Refiner's Fire (3 books)
  • Candle in the Darkness (Refiner's Fire, #1)
  • A Light to My Path (Refiner's Fire, #3)
“It takes less courage to end your life in a burst of glory than to face the mistakes you’ve made and start over.” 12 likes
“Until Gettysburg," she continued, "I was working for the wrong reasons. At first it was to prove myself worthy in someone's eyes. Later it was out of guilt, trying to find atonement in God's eyes. But atonement is free, never earned. And I've learned that the only person I need to please with my life is God.” 12 likes