Start by marking “A Killing Night” as Want to Read:
A Killing Night

A Killing Night

(Max Freeman #4)

Max Freeman is at a crossroads. No longer content to live solely in his remote shack in the Everglades, he is looking to move beyond his self-imposed isolation. So when his onetime girlfriend, Detective Sherry Richards, asks for his help as a private investigator in nailing an ex-cop she suspects of killing several young women in South Florida, Max is ready to help her see ...more
Audio CD
Published March 17th 2005 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Killing Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Killing Night

Start your review of A Killing Night
C Joy
Before buying this book, I checked the ratings first even though it's on sale. This is the first I've read from Jonathon King and his writing style was good. I only found out he's a former journalist after reading the story and it explained how he put attention to the details.

The story started with the suspect's activities then switched to first person (Max's). I put aside my reservations about reading series in order because this is the 4th in the Max Freeman series, and I'm glad I did because
Robert
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
If you have not found Jonathan King yet give his Max Freeman series a shot. A Killing Night is the fourth in the Max Freeman series and these just seem to get better as they go along. In this installment Max will get mixed up in the case of some missing woman who work at local bars. King is sure to delight mystery fans and Max Freeman fans alike. Enjoy the ride!
Marsha
Another in the series about the ex Philly cop, this time Max is drawn into an investigation which implicates a fellow former home town cop and acquaintence in the murder of female bartenders.

The abuse of power,the perception of guilt and the pull of old relationships are strong themes in this interesting mystery.
Ramon Dearmas
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book and have to say this is my second author behind John Connoly very good and descriptive! Gave this author to another avid book reader as myself and he was impressed as well, this is my second book of his.

The author brings the glades to real life!

Keeps you coming back for more....
Barbara
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read!! Jonathon King knows how to keep you turning those pages! I think he will rate right up there with Michael Connelly, Harlen Coben,Robert Crais and Robert Parker!! Love fighting crime with Max Freeman!!
Barbara B.
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sometimes sound like I am in a rut, but I sure do like these authors that have an interesting character to follow................and this book was no exception! And the story line was really good, too!
Victoria
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The first Max Freeman novel I've read. I enjoyed it, but had to read the synopsis to remember what it was about a week or so later. I did enjoy the Florida Everglades venue.
Joe O'Connor
Very Good; Continuing character: Max Freeman; someone in law enforcement is killing female bartenders and Freeman look to track him down
Kerrie
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three female bartenders in South Florida have gone missing and the finger of suspicion points at Colin O'Shea, a childhood friend of Max Freeman's, also a former cop that he worked with in Philadelphia. But Colin swears he is innocent and Max believes him.

So Max finds himself trying to work out if there is a serial killer on the loose, and at the same time he is trying to prove that it isn't Colin.

Max is also working for Billy Manchester, a black attorney that he also grew up with in Philadelphi
John
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Max Freeman mystery thriller that was very suspenseful and intriguing. This one was about trying to find a murderer of young women barmaids in Florida as well as young poor foreign men trying to make a living by working in very difficult and dangerous jobs. The plot and characters keeps the reading wanting more. Absolutely very much a must read.
Paschalis
Jul 19, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elibrary
elibrary
AshishB
Hmmmm
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Something in A KILLING NIGHT bothered me. No, it wasn’t Jonathon King’s writing. I can’t put my finger on “it” that made me feel a little displeased with the story line. Perhaps it was Richards’ complete obsession with violence against women or her emotional distance from Max and Billy. Or maybe “it” was the triteness of the plotline?

Ex-cop Colin O’Shea had saved Max Freeman’s life in a Philadelphia dark alley and quit the force in disgrace among allegations of sexual improprieties of a mental
LJ
A KILLING NIGHT (Suspense-Miami/Philadelphia-Cont) – VG
King, Jonathan – 4th book
Dutton, 2006- Hardcover
Former cop Max Freeman has been asked by his former girlfriend, Detective Sherry Richards, to investigate someone Max worked with on the Philadelphia police force. Richards suspects O’Shea in a case of young, female bartenders who are disappearing. While for his friend, attorney Billy Manchester, Max is trying to protect immigrant workers who severely injured working on a cruise ship.
*** Once a
Amy
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
For me, this was my least favorite book of the series so far. The plot was interesting, and the twists were nice, but they weren't quite enough to hold the book together. In the previous books, there was a lot of action and worry that the main character, Max, wouldn't make it out alive. I felt no worry for his safety here.

Max spent a lot of time convincing us how clever he was. Just about everything he did he had to explain the reasoning for it. Maybe he did this in the other books as well, but
Gavin
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
This is the fourth of Mr. King's novels featuring Max Freeman. Max, now having been lured back into the world from his Florida Everglades hideout, goes on the trail of a barmaid killer. His ex-girlfriend, a policewoman in Fort Lauderdale, has been investigating without any assistance from the boys or girls in blue based on a hunch that missing barmaids have been killed. Her initial suspicion is on a former police officer from Philadelphia, known to Max from his time with the Philly PD. Were I to ...more
Karen
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-copy
Max is working two cases - a worker comp for Billy where Philipinos are being intimidated into not pressing for damages and testimony after a boiler incident scalds several workers, and a case for Sherry, who is after a serial rapist and killer of female bartenders.

Her eyes are set on an ex cop from Philly, and Max returns "home" to face his ex wife and check the IAD files on him. He persuades Billy to take his case and they then set up a sting op on the real killer.

Not much time in the Evergla
Jeff Dickison
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Max Freeman tale as he helps his ex-girlfriend discover who is killing female bartenders in the Miami area. He is also helping his friend Billy try to bring justice to some ship workers who are being strong armed. Well written, with plenty of action. Recommended.
David
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good story, but solution was too simple and ending was anti-climactic.
Karen
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one not as good, or I wasn't as much in the mood? Less time in the swamp, he is healing. But abusive bad guy, so maybe that is why it wasn't as enjoyable.
John
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How fun is it for a defense attorney to keep his office in his black Lincoln with a convicted person working off his jail time? Your client screams innocent and your gut tells you she did it.
Kim
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it...like all his books!
Jim Moore
Great book he is close to James Lee Burke.
Nina
Alan Orloff
Jun 06, 2010
Tom Wallace
Aug 04, 2014

• Deadlock (Ryan Lock, #2)
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)
  • Outsider (Kate Burkholder #12)
  • Journey of the Pharaohs (NUMA Files, #17)
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • Choppy Water (Stone Barrington, #54)
  • Opium and Absinthe
  • White Out (Badlands Thriller, #1)
  • Hit List (Stone Barrington, #53)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • National Security (Jericho Quinn, #1)
  • Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar, #7)
  • Desperate Creed (Ryder Creed #5)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • The Spider Heist (Spider Heist Thrillers Book 1)
Edgar-award winning author Jonathon King is the creator of the Max Freeman crime series set in the Everglades and on the hard streets of urban South Florida. In his previous career as a journalist, he was a police and court reporter for 24 years with the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale and the Philadelphia Daily News.

Max Freeman (7 books)
  • The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1)
  • A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2)
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Midnight Guardians (Max Freeman, #6)
  • Don't Lose Her (Max Freeman, #7)