Start by marking “The Iron Maiden (Dragonslayer, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Iron Maiden (Dragonslayer, #2)

The Iron Maiden (Dragonslayer #2)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Astrid is reluctant to travel the winter route beyond the Northlands, even though it's her duty. She'd rather stay home in her village, surrounded by friends and neighbors. Ignoring the bonds of tradition, she decides to spend the cold winter months in the warmth of her blacksmithing shop. Why should she leave the comfort of her cottage to serve and protect foreigners who ...more
Published December 31st 2011 by Mundania Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Iron Maiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Iron Maiden

Crystal
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Dragonslayer series and I feel it needs to be read in order. Astrid, the blacksmith, is now a Dragonslayer in the summertime. She wants to be able to both, spending the rest of the year as a blacksmith. She has learned that when she was a baby, her brother put her in a cage with a baby dragon and the dragon chewed at her to get her blood, he continued to allow her to live like that until she was sold off. This gives her the ability to tell the difference between th ...more
T.
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-beta-prize
I received Iron Maiden, book 2 of the Dragonslayer series, as a free copy from the author (BookFunnel). The gifting did not determine the review/rating, which reflects my honest opinion. Another great installment in the Dragonslayer series, a couple major twists happened although, there wasn't as much overall story development as I'd hoped for (especially relating to the dragon stones Astrid has stashed away). I was also disappointed with the way Smoke, Fire, and Slag dropped from the story with ...more
Jarla Tangh
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my other all-time favorite book of Resa Nelson's. When another woman doesn't listen to her deepest heart and clings to the destructive, the dragonslayer, Astrid Scalding can only play sword master and witness the sad end. I will forever see the hair hanging from the tree branches at Limru. And after reading the book, I steel myself to live as an Iron Maiden. That's some mighty fine writing whenever one is inspired to take after a fictional character.
LooseBoots
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Thoroughly enjoyed this second book in the series. We follow the main character, Astrid , in her new role as a dragonslayer rather than a blacksmith. Someone steals her precious sword and we follow her adventures as she searches for it. A very powerful story full of twists and turns. Intense at times but always enjoyable to read. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Pat Raab
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If anything, I enjoyed this book more than the first one. The story has more depth, and the little blacksmith girl has grown in character and understanding. The journey to retrieve Starlight also helped her find herself.
Shirley
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS WRITER DOES A FANTASTIC JOB WITH THE STORY LINE AND THE BOOK IS VERY ENTERTAINING. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE WHO ENJOYA SCI-FI BOOK .
Ben Mcpeake
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
7/10
Mary Rowe
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Well done sequel to book 1, Dragonslayer’s Sword. Still mysteries to resolve - how did DiStephan die? What is the meaning of the black stone? Is there love and family for the Dragonslayer?
Melissa Hayden
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
Astrid's been a dragonslayer only for a few months, but thanks to DiStephan's ghost she's learning and knows much of what to do. Astrid's making her rounds through the area as the lizards migrate south this time of year, and looking forward to a relaxing winter by her anvil pounding metal. Taddeo, a true dragon, visits Astrid telling her where to go, on the dragonslayer winter route, in order to restore her arm - the ghost arm that only those eating lizard blood and meat can see and she believes ...more
Kate
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After facing her past and realizing her dragonslayer calling, Astrid has been keeping lizards from her hometown of Guell. She's relieved that she'll be able to go back to blacksmithing in the winter, when the lizards move south, but when her sword is stolen, she must leave Guell to get it back. Along the way she makes new friends as well as new enemies and learns that she has to truly make a choice about her path.

I thought The Iron Maiden had much better flow than The Dragonslayer's Sword. While
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
Only yesterday, i review the first book of the series in case you missed so i will try to review this one with as less spoilers as i can. *Just finished writing the review, and there are not spoilers in it! Yay!*

At the second book much have changed not only for Astrid but for the book too. For starters and the author's thoughts seem more in order and better presented. It's a less confusing but still follows the same way as the previous, with you knowing only what Astrid knows too. It's also less
Steven Brown
The Iron Maiden was an easy one day. This book was an enjoyable read and sees Astrid as having grown into something more once again. The idea of who and what you are as always changing is strong through out series. It again is an unquie story with twist and tragedies that I was not expecting at all and a few mysteries that gave more depth to the story as they were revealed.

What I enjoyed a great deal in the work was that Astrid is pushed as character. As she puts it forged into something more
Sherre Copeland
This book thoroughly emphasizes self growth and the power and strength even the smallest people have. It was a fantastical, unreal and wonderful addition to the first book and I definitely enjoyed it.

This story continues Astrid's journey as a Dragonslayer/blacksmith. I love how strong willed and set in her belief's she is. It makes her stubborn, but a little stubbornness is sometimes necessary to grow. One of the main themes I gathered from this book involved the position of women in the world.
Michelle
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: zz2012-read
In this book Astrid makes a choice to stay in her home village of Guell rather than perform the dragonslayer duty of following what they call 'the winter route' keeping the lizards under control for other villages as the lizards migrate during the colder months.
Unfortunately, this decision is changed for her when her beloved sword 'Starlight' is stolen and Astrid has to leave Guell to follow the thief and try to get it back.
It is this adventure that brings Astrid into new lands where the laws
Flora Smith
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this for review.

This is the second book in the Dragonslayer Series and I think it is just as good or even better than the first one, The Dragonslayer's Sword. The Iron Maiden continues the story of Astrid after she returns home to Guell to become the town's dragonslayer after the death of DiStephan. She initially wishes to remain through the winter months and return to blacksmithing instead of following the winter route of he dragons. But fate doesn't allow that and ins
Lovey Dovey Books
With The Iron Maiden, Resa Nelson continues to dazzle readers with her engaging story telling. Astrid, the new dragonslayer taking the place of her friend DiStephen, is off on a new and enlightening adventure. When Astrid's prize sword, Starlight, goes missing she's forced to travel outside of the familiar territory of Scalding. Her travels bring knowledge that women are not treated with respect as they are in the Nothernlands, from where Astrid hails.

It's such a pleasure to see that the aptly
Think
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this continuation of the story of Astrid, we follow her on a powerful journey yet again. As stated in the synopsis, the Dragonslayer’s sword Starlight, is stolen from Astrid. Of course, there is no stopping Astrid from going after the sword. It is as much a part of her as the scars on her skin that are shifting more and more to become like dragon scales.

Along her journey, Astrid meets many people. My favorite character she comes into contact with is Margreet. At first, the story of Gershon a
Manna_Sue
The end of the last book had a link for a free download of this book, so why not? It was ok. I can take or leave the series.

2018 Reading Challenge: A Book with Magic ("magic" might be a stretch ? but I don't like real magic-y magic so this'll hafta do)
Tana
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Iron Maiden by Resa Nelson

This book is part 2 of the Dragonslayers Sword. I found this novel a lot easier to read and felt like the words flowed easier for some reason. And it could be that I understood the world Astrid lived in which made things easier for myself to understand. You should not read this book if you haven’t read The Dragonslayer’s Sword.

In book two Astrid end up on another journey looking for the starlight the first dragonslayer’s sword, along her travels she meets many diff
Andrew Volpe
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another hard-hitter, the next installment of the Dragonslayer's series.

The book is good on its own, so new readers to Nelson or this series will be able to follow along pretty well, as the details and character backgrounds are reviewed briefly and does not feel overly complicated or rambling.

The new element of the Krystr feels a little over-the-top but knowing Nelson, it's part of her process. It is very though-provoking and hits right to the core. Her sharp [criticism] of religious-cultural iss
Marina
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for free from the author in exchange for an unbiased honest review.

The are more points of view (narrators) as compared to Book 1, The Dragonslayer Sword, in addition to and much darker themes. I wouldn't recommend this one for as young an audience as I did with the first. Religious fanatics, hint of rape, death, release... Astrid's journey is far different this time around.

Overall, in intriguing fantasy that builds a little more to the world with each installment i
Maria
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received a signed copy of this book for free through goodreads First Reads. This book is more focused on Astrid's internal discovery and finding out who she wants to be than on her duties as dragonslayer. It is a less intense read than The Dragonslayer's Sword but it still interested me enough to make want to finish the series.
Delia
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will be posting my review on my blog as part of a blog tour on July 31 2012
www.wolfmajick.blogspot.com
India Shotts
Great story love them and I can't put them down u till I finish and gen I need to jump in to the next in line.
Sandy Blackwell
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow what a interesting world. This book is more full of twists than book 1 and the plot thickens. You learn more about the other characters in this one. A very exciting series that I recommend..
Ashleigh
rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Red Leaves and the Living Token
  • The Goblin Between Her Thighs (The Marechal Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Twenty (Barronlands Trilogy, #1)
  • The Man Who Crossed Worlds (Miles Franco #1)
  • Fire and Ice (Five Worlds, #1)
  • Underneath
  • Pledged (Soul Wars Saga, #1)
  • The Timekeeper’s Moon
  • Jack Templar And The Lord Of The Werewolves (The Templar Chronicles, #4)
  • Hunter and Fox (Shifted World, #1)
  • Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1)
  • Fae Hunter (Soulstealer, #1)
  • Pandora's Key (The Key Trilogy, #1)
  • Rise of the Demons (Oceans of Red #1)
  • Mammoth Trouble (Noah Zarc, #1)
  • Knight's End (Knight's Trilogy, #1)
  • Libyrinth (Libyrinth, #1)
  • The Earth Painter (Painter, #1)
Resa Nelson is the author of the 4-book Dragonslayer series: The Dragonslayer’s Sword (nominated for the Nebula Award, finalist for the EPPIE Award), The Iron Maiden , The Stone of Darkness , and The Dragon's Egg . Her 4-book Dragonfly series takes place after the Dragonslayer series.

Her standalone novels include the mystery/thrillers All Of Us Were Sophie and Our Lady of the Absolute .

Re
More about Resa Nelson

Dragonslayer (4 books)
  • The Dragonslayer's Sword (Dragonslayer, #1)
  • The Stone of Darkness (Dragonslayer, #3)
  • The Dragon's Egg (Dragonslayer, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99