Start by marking “RuneQuest” as Want to Read:
RuneQuest

RuneQuest

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Published March 1st 1980 by Chaosium (first published December 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about RuneQuest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RuneQuest

Terence
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, rpgs
This was one of the many RPGs my friends and I bought but never actually played in the misspent days of our youth (and, to be brutally honest, it was my mother who "bought" them until I was old enough to hold down a job).

I give Runequest a 4-star rating not for its game mechanics (obviously) but for its effort to create a non-medieval, non-Western European world to adventure in that wasn't overly beholden to any other culture but built its own, unique vision.
Tulpa
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: games
Though the book is poorly laid out and some of the mechanics are outdated or poorly structured, the game itself is still wonderful. It helps that it is closely tied to one of the best game settings ever devised, the inestimable Glorantha. Talking cartoon ducks who worship the god who wields Death as a sword? Sure. Walktopuses? Yes. Bears with halloween pumpkins for heads? Absolutely. One of the most in-depth, realistic portrayals of mythology? Yes.

Just reading it again makes me want to join a ga
Joseph
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gaming
RuneQuest, by Chaosium, is probably the single best RPG book I've ever read or used. It is not without flaws and ambiguities, but I still run RuneQuest campaigns, and have done so for many years. The "Basic Role Playing System" by Chaosium eliminated the Dungeons & Dragons character classes and alignment system which always felt like bizarre constrictions on what was ultimately meant to be a free-form fantasy style of play. RuneQuest characters were defined instead by their physical attribut ...more
Andrew Smith
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The first RPGS I ever played and still the best with it's 'realistic' combat system freely available magic and lack of character classes it provides a much less restrictive system than D&D. Plus it has anthropomorphic ducks!
pookie
The Classic RuneQuest—A review of the Reprinted RuneQuest 2nd Edition published by Chaosium, Inc.

Please reshare.
Kevin
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing

The only game that back in the day gave Dungeons and Dragons a run for it's money. Full of tribal shamanism and alternative magics, Glorantha is a very fascinating (and often scary) place.
Bruce Turner
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is still a classic RPG - it ages very well.
Hugo Barbosa