Start by marking “Remember Everything You Read” as Want to Read:
Remember Everything You Read

Remember Everything You Read

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  664 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
Developed by the nation's experts on speed reading and learning, these proven techniques have helped people increase their reading speed by 50%, and their comprehension by 80%.
Published April 21st 1990 by Crown (first published 1990)

Kaycee Looney
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: others wanting to improve their reading speed
It took me some time to finish this book because the author has you practicing the new reading techniques as you go - and they aren't easy. :-o But, I am determined to get up to the 900 words per minute goal I set for myself at the outset. So, I'm practicing the new techniques I learned about on the current books I'm reading.

If you want to try and become a speed reader, don't think you're going to be Dr. Spencer Reid (from Criminal Minds) by the end of the book. There is a lot to learn and it D
Grace
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always considered myself to be a slow reader and have always wanted to improve my speed. I once had a professor who had taken the Evelyn Wood program and could read through his students' research papers at an amazing speed. Because I did not want to spend a lot of money taking the actual class, I decided to give this book a try. Although I cannot read with the speed that others have attained by taking the class, I have to admit that this book has allowed me to increase my speed somewhat. ...more
Mark
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a prof at McMaster University who has it as required reading for his first year INQUIRY students. The conversation started when I questioned why he added it as required rather than optional. After chatting with him for about 15 minutes, and learning more about the book, I was convinced to pick it up and read it, even if all I got from it was the ability to read at twice my current speed. (I consider myself a slow reader and have always wished I could read faste ...more
Sharon
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has two titles it's had over the years, "Remember Everything you Read" and also, "The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program." Ironically, this is a quick easy read... though I don't recommend it.

It's geared toward students with tips for note taking and test preparation, and what little information it has for improving reading speed I've already learned in other places via a 5 minute Youtube video from Tim Ferriss (great tips there by the way). So, interesting - yes.
Tracey
Jan 31, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading it now and cannot for the life of me figure out how these strategies help you read for understanding and meaning. I can do the strategies, but I have no idea what I "read" or "skimmed". In fact, I used five of the strategies on the same page, and I still didn't know what the page was about.

I guess this isn't for me.

I can't even rate the book.
......

Just finished the book.

Not impressed. Was hoping to find ways to read faster since I have a stack of books I would love to read.

I guess t
Karen
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to take this book back to the library before I could really practice the exercises in it. I read it through and had wanted to go back and do them to see what I could actually do with everything in there. I will have to check it out again to do that. I really believe if you apply the premise of this faithfully, you could read in a n amazing much quicker manner. I actually finished it quite awhile back, having pushed through it in a few days. doing the exercises in it is a need to really get ...more
Tim Andersen
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a nice ice-breaker for speed reading. It won't help you get practice speed reading, but it helps explain how it could possible work. It's very encouraging to see that this valuable skill can be learned by almost anyone willing to practice.
Erika
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a book that helps you, most of all, with studying techniques.

I initially picked it up with the idea that it would contain some drills to help me increase my reading speed. It does have some explanations of techniques that help you to speed up your reading rate but it wasn't exactly what i had in mind. It didn't contain anything, about that matter, that i didn't know before.

What it did have, and thought was really interesting and helpful, were the studying techniques. It says how you are
Darus Trutna
Excellent book detailing great techniques to improve reading speed, note taking for memorization, and test taking skills. It's directed mainly for students in school but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a wonderful experience when I was finally able to break through 900 words per minute and enjoy "Mental Soaring" as they call it. This is a reading speed where you are beyond sub-vocalization, regression, and reading word for word. You are scanning chunks of words in a more vertical fashion (zig-za ...more
Vivian
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book but there was a lot about taking notes and tests. I just want to read fast. The problem is, when I do what they say, I have no comprehension. I guess I just have to practice just like with everything.

It teaches the two stop method of reading and different patterns for reading a page - underlining hand motion, S hand motion, the question mark, etc. This is taken from the Evelyn Wood speed reading program.

The problem is - it contradicts with the other speed reading book I got fr
Mike
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book a number of years ago and put it down after one chapter. "Rubbish" was my only comment at the time. This time, as I looked at the pile of books I must read for various ventures I am a part, I figured reading faster would be of great aid. I am already a fast reader and I confirmed this through their initial reading test. The average score is 300 (approximately) words per minute. I scored at 500. Then I read that many people after taking the Evelyn Wood method regularly read accur ...more
Ameenah
Now i can read 600 words per minute!!! The book provides some useful techniques to raise up your reading speed and enhance your comprehension of the material in hand, I was introduced to some really new practices that were totally unfamiliar to me, the book objective to make you reach the rate of more than 1200 words per minute when you can actually start considering yourself a supersonic reader is somehow questionable. I think the techniques are more applicable when reading in your first langua ...more
Alhashemiah
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction
learned a lot about speed reading and studying!
it was my first step towards faster, more effective reading .. and to be honest .. it was a huge step!

Trevor
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
best insights: use your hands to pace yourself down the page and do not regress (ie. keep moving forward).
Melody
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reads sort of like an infomercial. Also, it's somewhat dated. (Lots of time is devoted to the patterns in which you should trace your fingers over the page, none of which is useful for reading on a screen instead of a printed page.)

However, the information is extremely useful. After reading less than half of the book, I boosted my reading time significantly. For me, the usefulness of the material more than balanced out any deficiencies.

*Also, note that a large chunk of the book is spen
Nick
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, yet insightful strategy to read at a quicker pace while retaining more information. In addition to subtle tips and tricks, the author offers a reading system highly different from what most people are used to. Whereas most readers sound out words in their heads as they read, Dr. Frank advocates a system of moving directly from words to thoughts. When humans think, they don't silently sound out every word - the idea is the same for reading.

The book is not an immediate solution though and
Denise Marquez
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great tips and techniques!

I am really excited to put these new tools into action in the upcoming semester! I am feeling hopeful that I can succeed in doing online course work while working full time and raising a toddler. With this type of study method, I may actually have time to spend relaxing and have a less stressful time at work. (Fingers crossed)
Edwina
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me forever to read.

...j/k
I thought it was a worthwhile read - especially if you're in school. The true test of whether it works is yet to come.
Chad Miles
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really helped me get my reading speed up to around 500 to 600 wpm but I need to practice the techniques in this book more to get to my target of 1000wpm
Shannon Main
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-ebook
Has some decent tips on increasing your reading speed, but is mostly geared towards students.
Xuezhen Chen
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent book

this book help me a lot!I love this book very much. I recommend this book for all the student. Amazing.
Richard Bliss
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the mid-seventies, my school began teaching the Evelyn Wood speeding reading course in the 5th and 6th grades. That class, and the typing were the two courses that have had more impact on me than any other courses or subjects studied.

This book is a practical guide for those wanting to increase their reading speed AND increase their comprehension. For me, it has been a nice refresher course to give my reading speed a boost.

For students, the section on studying, writing, and test-taking would
JCP PHILLIPS
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anita Sosinka
The book is rather a sketch on Evelyn Wood's speed reading method that actually textbook of this method. I really don't think anybody can learn the technique from reading it. Apart from hand movements overview and quick page turning methods it lacks presentation of the actual mechanisms, lacks practical tips and exercises.
I did speed up a little by introducing hand movements but there were no guidelines what next. How to make eyes follow the hands and understand what I read? How to speed read,
Anupriya
I belong to the class of people who have become obsessed with reading very late in their life. Ummm ! Almost at the fag end of my educational journey. I picked this book up because I feel that I need to catch up for all the reading that I didn't do for all those years.

How I wish I had read this book as a teenager :( Coz a major part of the book deals with reading as a necessary art for exam preparation and exam-taking. I skimmed through those parts of the book (I think I'll get back to them whe
Kimball
The ironic thing about reading this book is that it took me more than 2 months to finish. We finally got internet during this read and City of Globe updates took some time away from finishing this sooner.

I actually took a course at work that taught the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Principles a few months before reading this (While I was discussing it with my home teacher he mentioned the book so I got it from the lie bury (where I bury all my lies)); in that course I improved my reading from 200 WP
Andreas
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, lifehack
This book describes the Evely Wood method to improve your reading speed together with comprehension and recall. Students are the main target so it's not only about reading faster but also about planning your schedule, writing and practical tips how to take exams.

The methods presented here are very interesting and similar to what I already heard before. I have tried some with the book itself after chapter 6 and was surprised how good they work. It's not only about moving your eyes faster. A book
Jim Coyne
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students
While this book is more informative than interesting it is helpful to everyday readers and students. Although it is not as effective as the actual Evelyn-Wood speed reading program, it does help the average reader to comprehend the material better while still getting through the information. In addition to the skills of speed reading the book also provides many techniques of proper note taking.

I waited almost a few weeks to write the review after I finished to book because I felt that I should
Dan
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provided some good perspective on reading, more specifically what an average person does when they read. Its runs through a bunch of ideas and guidelines to becoming a faster reader.
Like almost all things, the key to becoming a speed reader is a strong will to do so and practice, pratice, practice. My general impression is speed reading strongly dependent on a high degree of concentration on the act of reading. Nothings ever easy.

I would suggest this book to any student entering coll
Dani
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in my local public library. Having read the reviews on this site, I wasn't sure if I should get this one or Triple Your Reading Speed. So, I decided to give both a go. My library did not have the other, so it will have to wait until tomorrow when I can hit up Books-A-Million.

All in all, I finished this book in around 8 hours. Though, truth be told, I skipped the sections pertaining solely to study skills. I have been out of school for quite some time now, and felt them unneces
  • Public Speaking and Influencing Men in Business  (From the author of 'How to Win Friends & Influence People')
  • Building Mental Muscle: Conditioning Exercises for the Six Intelligence Zones
  • The Time Trap
  • Conversations with Millionaires: What Millionaires Do to Get Rich, That You Never Learned about in School!
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • 10 Simple Secrets of the World's Greatest Business Communicators
  • Kevin Trudeau's Mega Memory: How to Release Your Superpower Memory in 30 Minutes Or Less a Day
  • Raising a Reader: A Mother's Tale of Desperation and Delight
  • Do It!: Let's Get Off Our Buts
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • Read and Get Rich: How the Hidden Power of Reading Can Make You Richer in All Areas of Your Life
  • The Velveteen Principles: A Guide to Becoming Real; Hidden Wisdom from a Children's Classic
  • Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide
  • Be All You Can Be
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • The Other 90%: How to Unlock Your Vast Untapped Potential for Leadership and Life
  • Strategies for Creative Problem Solving
  • Integrity Selling for the 21st Century: How to Sell the Way People Want to Buy