Start by marking “Ben's Flying Flowers” as Want to Read:
Ben's Flying Flowers

Ben's Flying Flowers

An Educational Publishing Foundation Book.
Published April 15th 2012 by Magination Press

To ask other readers questions about Ben's Flying Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ben's Flying Flowers

Margaux
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book about a little girl who looses her brother to an illness. Very sad, but an example of how to remember your loved one after a loss.
Tisha Young
A heart-warming and sweet way to discuss/introduce the topic of death to children
Marissa Everett
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Ben's Flying Flowers is a book about a younger girl and her brother Ben. Ben is sick (specific disease/illness unknown to the reader) and goes to the hospital a lot. Ben and the young girls favorite thing to do is look at the butterflies which Ben calls "flying flowers." Ben eventually passes away and the young girl becomes very upset. The rest of the book is her learning to deal with the death of her baby brother and learning how to remember him in a positive and happy way.

Ben's Flying Flower
Samantha Guerra
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't remembering having books like this during my childhood, it amazes me that we can truly turn to books in hard times. Her little brother Ben was sick and what made him happy was different color butterflies so his sister drew with him one everyday to make him happy. Then one day Ben never came back from the hospital, passed away and she had a hard time cooping in the beginning and she just wanted to draw dark pictures, then one day she saw a butterfly and at that moment she realize that her ...more
Melanie
Produced by the American Psychological Association, this book about the death of a sibling leaves much to be desired, as most "industry" books do.

Siblings Emily and Ben love watching and chasing the butterflies. But Ben is very sick and so tires easily. Over time, Ben becomes home-bound and Emily begins drawing pictures of butterflies for him to enjoy. Then Ben becomes too sick to remain at home and travels to the hospital for the last time. Emily becomes enraged at the death of her brother and
Elizabeth Libera
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a children's picture book called "Ben's Flying Flowers" by Inger M. Maier. It is about a girl and a boy who are siblings. They have fun together and they like to watch butterflies play. They draw pictures of the butterflies together. One day, the brother stops being as interactive and starts getting quite. Soon, he becomes sick and can't play with her anymore. I really enjoyed this book. The sister and the brother have a great relationship and the sister gets very said when Ben can no lo ...more
Barbara
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book about understanding the death of a sibling is a little wordy for my taste but because there is a demand for books like this I think there's a place for it in a library collection. The pictures are simple and delicate and the back matter will be helpful to parents who are trying to help their child understand this sensitive subject. As with all books about sensitive issues I suggest parents read through it first before using it with a child.
Paula
Emily introduces her younger brother, Ben, to butterflies, which he calls "flying flowers," and when his illness makes him too weak to go see them she draws him pictures, but after his death she no longer wants to draw happy things. Includes note to parents.
Alison
In this book about dealing with grief and talking to children about death, seven year old Emily deals with the deal of her brother and the fact that it makes her not want to draw anything happy anymore.
Nicole
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Read blindly & oh my goodness, soooooo sad. Kids in story same age as mine & I almost couldn't make it through it. Obviously great for the purpose of helping a surviving sibling get over the loss of a sibling, but not to be read just for enjoyment!!
Kelsey
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tough Issue: Death of a family member (little brother)

For the depth of the issue, and the shortness a picture book, Maier has written a touching story of loss and moving on from the perspective of an older sister.
Jessica
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, children, fiction
A beautifully illustrated picture book about a difficult subject. Told from the perspective of a little girl who's little brother is very ill, and eventually passes it handles the topic gracefully and would be useful in every children's library collection.
Karen Dransfield
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This story is about bereavement of a sibling and how to help kids deal with loss. I thought it was rather lovely and the artwork fits in with the theme and mood of the story.
Victoria Von
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was too forward. I didn't think it would be very interesting to children.
Paula
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic
Touching story of a girl whose little brother calls butterflies 'flying flowers' and dies unexpectedly. Wonderful picture book for someone coping with death.
Peacegal
A little girl grieves the death of her younger brother.
Michaela Perkins
Apr 15, 2013
Ms Threlkeld
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A valuable book for children dealing with loss and grief. I appreciate that the author didn't reference heaven when the little girl asked where her brother was.
Layne Poplin