Start by marking “The Great Fairy Tale Disaster” as Want to Read:
The Great Fairy Tale Disaster

The Great Fairy Tale Disaster

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
The Big Bad Wolf is fed up with blowing down the Three Little Pigs' houses. So off he goes in search of a new fairy tale to be in! Wearing the ball gown in Cinderella didn't work because "wolves don't wear dresses!," climbing up the beanstalk and seeing the giant's huge feet scared the wolf, and "yuck" getting kissed by the prince in Sleeping Beauty is not for the wolf at ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Tiger Tales (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Fairy Tale Disaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Fairy Tale Disaster

Emily
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wolf, tired of his own fairy tale, goes off in search of another fun story... but doesn't have any luck. His transitions between tales are abrupt, and the humorous reactions to finding out his role in the new stories attempt to make up for that. Of course, at the end Wolf retreats to his own story, only to land in a pot of hot water, as usual. Will be fun for kids who have just learned their fairy tales.

The fun, chaotic illustrations are reminiscent of Lane Smith and are definitely grabbing.
Kristi Bernard
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love a great fairy tale adventure? The Great Fairy Tale Disaster has all the old favorites like the Three Little Pigs, Cinderella, jack and the Bean Stalk and even Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The Big Bad Wolf is tired of all the repeated shenanigans of the Three Little Pigs. In order to make a change he decides to visit some of the other fairy tales for a change of pace. Cinderella's Fairy God Mother tries to send him to the ball in a dress and glass slippers. Of course, that doe ...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

The Big Bad Wolf has had enough of his fairy tale, "The Three Little Pigs." He decides to go on a journey to find a nice, relaxing story to be a part of. He finds Cinderella, Rupunzel, Hansel and Gretel, and a whole cast of other fairy tale creatures. Will he find a new tale to be a part of? Or will all of the fairy tales get mixed up, ending in disaster? Along with the fun and crazy story line, Melanie Williamson's illustrations are captivating. This book is great for kindergarteners and grade

Fjóla
I really only thought it was okay, and it's painfully lacking any originality or wittiness, but I did enjoy the pictures and it still does have its place as a spin on fractured fairy tales. So, in all fairness, if its weakness lies in the fact there's nothing really funny or clever here, it's also a strength because this makes it quite appropriate for any toddler/preschooler too. I was slightly more charmed by its sister book: The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster, although that one suffered the exac ...more
Sara Bland
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Destiny
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It tells all the familiar stories in a new light. It is silly and illustrates a common struggle than we have as humans. We always think that the the grass will be greener on the other side. We thing everyone has it easier and better than we wish we could trade places. The wolf gets a chance to switch places only to realize that he actually had it pretty good and accepted his story. Kids will have a fun time reading and learning that things aren't always what they seem. We can b ...more
Terry
My daughter (4) loves fairy tales so she liked seeing all of her favorites in this one story. This book was "okay." I'm glad I read it but felt like they skipped through the fairy tales too fast. I would have liked for them to have spent a little longer on each fairy tale and done fewer of them.

Pros: Kids who *know* fairy tales will laugh through the wolf's attempts to try on different stories.

There's more to our review at the The Reading Tub®.
Lyndy Stein
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In "The Great Fairy Tale Disaster" by David Conway, the Big Bad Wolf is tired of being the bad guy and just wants to be in a relaxing fairytale for once. He starts off trying to be Cinderella and when that doesn't work, he moves on to Jack and the Beanstalk, Sleeping Beauty and many more classic fairytales but finds that he just does not belong in any of them. This story is full of colorful illustrations and whacky scenarios that will have kids laughing nonstop!
Hannah Cobb
The Big Bad Wolf is getting old. He doesn't have any huff and puff left in him, and he's sick and tired of falling down the chimney into the three little pigs' pot of hot water. He decides to set off into the book of fairy tales to look for a quieter story. Instead he finds himself in a chaotic mishmash of fairytale characters. This is a great read-aloud book that offers plenty of opportunities for "what do you think will happen next?" type questions.
Rachel Escobar
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought this story was very funny and cute. I liked how the wolf was tired of his story so he decided to go and try to find a place in other fairy tales. My favorite part was at the end how he had messed up so many stories all the fairy tale characters were all intermingled in every one else's stories, I also like how at the end he just ended up going back to his original story. The artwork I thought was very fun and quirky which matched up perfectly with the story.
Marcie
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
The idea of the Big Bad Wolf looking for a place in a different fairy tale is certainly a cute one, and the first couple fairy tales he jumps into deliver surprises and laughs. But then it gets a little disjointed, and the plot doesn't really go anywhere. As I was reading it out loud, I found myself wanting to add dialogue so that it would make more sense. The illustrations are busy and fun!
Angela
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't care for the illustrations - something about them was just too chaotic for me. The concept is cute; the big, bad wolf is getting old and wants a more "peaceful" fairytale. But all the fairytales have something in them that he just won't put up with - kissing, giants, etc.

Unfortunately, the plot doesn't really go anywhere creative, and sort of peters out halfway through.
Kelsey
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Age: K+
Fairy tale: fractured

When the Big Bad Wolf is bored of his doldrum life in the Three Little Pigs, he bullies his way into other fairy tales. But does he really want to get kissed by a handsome prince? Does he really want to face off against a fee-fi-foe-fumming giant? The ending is short-winded but this picture book would make an excellent end-cap to a unit on fairy tales.
Sarah BT
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I love fractured fairy tales and this one mixed them all up because of a bored wolf. Perfect to read with kids who enjoy fairy tales and there are plenty of laughs as the poor wolf gets caught up in all the wrong tales. The illustrations are good-maybe a bit busy for a storytime setting, but great for small groups, lapsits or on your own reading.
Kati
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the perspective of the big bad wolf who finds himself in all different fairy tales. Before reading this book I would have student brainstorm all they know about the fairytales found in the book. And then after reading you could talk about all the differences the wolf made in each story. Fun book and could be adapted to a lot of different age ranges.
Beverly
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A funny romp through fairy tale land, as wolf hunts for a tale that he likes better than "Three Little Pigs." Comical illustrations reminiscent of Lauren Child. Would be good for a "fractured fairy tale" story time.
Angie
Wolf is bored with his fairy tale and decides to find a better one. He troops through several other stories creating chaos as he goes before he finally decides he likes his story best. Very fun take on a fairy tale.
Paula
When an old Big Bad Wolf, who no longer has enough huff and puff to blow down a house, tries to find a nice relaxing fairy tale for a change, he winds up making a big mess for Cinderella, Rapunzel, and other well-known characters.
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Cute. Fun for the end of a fairy tale unit.
Jodie
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
The Big Bad Wolf is tired of his fairy tale so he goes off to find new adventures and in the process creates disaster.
Sara
A fun story! -Victoria age 9
Candace Perry
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, storytime
The kids loved this book. I don't think they've ever laughed so hard at storytime. They knew the stories so they loved hearing them get mixed up!
Charlotte Smith
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is brilliant for a bad time book and sees the wolf in a new light
Allison
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very busy illustrations depict how the very old big bad wolf wreaks havoc on the fairy tale world when he tries to find a calmer fairy tale to rest in. Finally, he decides his own isn't so bad.
Scottsdale Public Library
Escaping one story's fate crashes the course of the next.

-Monty K.
June
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tiny-people
This book was fine. There was nothing wrong with it. It just wasn't as fun or exciting as I expected, and my 5yo was pretty meh about.
Mckinley
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Wolf wants to be in a different fairytale.
Too much like his The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster by David Conway.
Mindy
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun and colorful book best suited for kindergarten (and beyond) or kids who already have a grasp of classic fairy tales. Without that foundation this book just won't make sense.
Cassie
  • Who's on First?
  • George Washington's Birthday: A Mostly True Tale
  • A Walk in London
  • The Tooth Mouse
  • What's the Time, Mr. Wolf?
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
  • Bear in Love
  • Wanted: The Perfect Pet
  • My Snake Blake
  • The Princess and the Peas
  • Moo!
David Conway is a children's picture book author who has written for Hodder, Random House, Frances Lincoln and Gullane Children's Books. He has been awarded The Peter Pan Silver Star by the Swedish wing of the IBBY and the Parents' Choice Gold Award in the US for Lila and the Secret of Rain. His first picture book The Most Important Gift of All illustrated by Karin Littlewood, was nominated for Th ...more
More about David Conway...