Start by marking “Unplugged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Unplugged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #2)

Unplugged

(A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #2)

Christina McMullen, psychologist extraordinaire, has problems–not least of which are her needy clients, a schizophrenic septic system, and her sizzling-then-fizzling romance with Lieutenant Jack Rivera. But Chrissy has yet another problem she’d like to ignore: finding her secretary’s missing boyfriend. Okay, so she secretly hopes the vertically challenged computer geek has ...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Unplugged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unplugged

Sana Zameer
When I read Unzipped I thought well it can't get more mindless then this. Sadly, I was wrong. The plot was lame and the MCs where more stupid. Chrissy is a pyschologist and lieutenant Rivera has split personality disorder - it's a match made in heaven. Chrissy needs to understand that she can't just barge anywhere and ask all kinds of questions. Also most of her decisions are quite questionable. I had hoped that it might get better, but after reading this I'm not going to continue this series.
Veronica
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I love a good cozy mystery now and again, something light hearted and fun to cleanse the palette in-between darker reads. This series, featuring Chrissy McMullen, LA psychologist, fits the bill. Chrissy is hilarious in the predicaments she gets into. That said, the series is not without it's faults which are once again on display here. For a professional psychologist, Chrissy probably does more breaking and entering and lying (often for no good reason at all) than your average street criminal. I ...more
Nicole
Round two with Chrissy and her wacky co-horts, secretary Elaine, the Geekster J.D.,Lieutenant Rivera, and a few of Chrissy's clients.

Elaine wants Chrissy to find J.D., who's been missing since he went to a tech convention in Vegas. For whatever reason, Chrissy doesn't want to accept that Elaine and J.D. are pseudo-dating, but she agrees to see what she can do. After agreeing to look, Chrissy meets a new guy, gets kidnapped, shot at, threatened, forced to deal with a surprise familial visit, and
Connie N.
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
#2 in the Chrissy McMullen Mystery series

This series is just so funny! Lots of laugh-out-loud moments as Chrissy searches for her best friend's missing boyfriend, even though Chrissy thinks he's a dweeb. As always, she jumps in with both feet, taking lots of chances and doing/saying crazy things. But because it's so hilarious, I have to forgive her. And Lieutenant Rivera, the sexy cop who keeps bothering her, is on her case and trying to keep her safe, even though it seems more like he's being a
Elissa
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Our heroine Christina exemplifies the stereotype that folks with "problems" take up psychology as a profession. She has major trust issues, a serious inability for her mouth and brain to agree on what's going on, and an apparent pathological capacity for avoiding the truth--both understanding what it is and sharing accurately. However, her sleuthing instincts are to be admired as she turns up some seriously hinky behaviors in this comic missing person mystery, as she helps solve it. Narrator Bar ...more
K M Harper
A little disjointed

I gave this book a three stars because I found parts of it very hard to get through. I will read the next book in the series and decide after it if I want to continue reading this author.
Pandora
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Melanie
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
The main character's IQ dropped way too low for me to really like this book.
Linda
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
A slightly more enjoyable version of a Stephanie Plum character. Still I don't like comedy in Detective books or TV shows. Did finish, but barely.
Tory
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
it was a bit silly.
I probably say that because I've read the formula before, that said, the formula works and is enjoyable.
I'd read another in the series, happily.
Linda
Though the plot is somewhat loose, there is humor and suspense to blend in the gaps. A good read when light romance and zany antics is needed.
Marlene
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Characters are great. One minute I hate Rivera and next I think he's sexy as hell. Such great character development. Laney and JD are so cute.
Barbara ★
I do love this series. Chrissy is such a hoot! And Rivera is beyond yummy. I absolutely love their bickering and sarcastic dialogue. The sexual tension is unbelievable and I love how Chrissy stutters and stumbles over her words (and her feet) when Rivera gets too close or has his shirt off.

In Unplugged, Elaine's techno geek boyfriend goes off to a conference in Vegas and doesn't return. Chrissy who loves her best friend Elaine to pieces, gets it in her head to track him down and of course, gets
Leise Chadwick
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chrissy's back and she is beside herself with worry! An acquaintance from her Warthog waitressing days in Schaumberg, geeky vertically challenged Jeen Solberg, has taken a fancy for her very best friend Laney. Chrissy owed Solberg a favor and the payback was a date with Laney. Laney is an aspiring actress and incredibly beautiful. Never in her wildest dreams, and Chrissy has had many, could she imagine Laney falling for the Geekster, but she does, and then some. When he goes missing during a bus ...more
Melissa
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I really like this mystery series. I think the situations Chrissy finds herself in are funny. I also like the sexual tension between her and Lt. Rivera. These remind me a lot of Janet Evanovich. The mystery in this one got to be a little convaluted, but I still enjoyed it. When I got to the final chapter where everything happend, I was a bit confused because one character hadn't been mentioned for quite awhile. But as always, a nice clean wrap up. I am looking for to reading #3 in the series!
Marfita
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
This book made me reconsider reading any more mysteries. I realize that sexual tension makes things interesting and as a woman I know that we feel more desire than we exhibit at times - but I thought this was a bit ridiculous. And denying anything was happening on the missing person's case - the endless lying - it palled. I did like her characters otherwise. The clients were the most interesting.
Not only did I reconsider reading mysteries, but this week I also committed the sacrilege of thinkin
Sandra McLeod
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I loved this romantic mystery! I loved the characters, I loved the plotting, and I loved all the similes and metaphors. Actually, I was impressed that Ms. Greiman could come up with so many wonderful similes and metaphors! My only criticism (and it's definitely a minor one) is that I found myself becoming a little irritated at times with Chrissy's continued lying and fabricating--I found myself at times wanting to tell her to just tell people the truth (especially Rivera). But, all in all, a gre ...more
John
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Didn't like this one as much as the first one. The attitude of Christine, the main character, was getting on my nerves. And her attitude toward the character J.D. was getting old. He may be a creep, but he went out of his way to help her in the first book, so she should cut him a little slack. I don't care for stories where the main character needs to keep doing stupid things just to move the plot forward or to stall for time. I plan on reading the next book in the series, I just hope Christine ...more
Sharon
Another funny, easy-to-read mystery starring Chrissy. This time, the geeky boyfriend of Chrissy’s beautiful best friend/secretary goes missing. Chrissy looks for him and gets herself into scrapes and messes. Rivera, the investigating detective is back, adding a bit of sexual tension again. As with previous book, mystery neatly solved in the end. And as with previous book, enjoyable. Although I admit to a little skimming towards the end, but this may be more because I read this just after the fir ...more
Amber Adamchuk
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Chrissy is not a very bright female, but she loves her best friend. She has horrible instincts on men. I felt like I was on an ADHD roller-coaster.... I wouldn't lie to my best friend that a man who obviously cares for her dumbed her to not tell her the truth - he is missing! There were a lot of things I did not agree with or maybe relate with in this book.

I wasn't as impressed with book two as I was with book one.
Stacie  Haden
3.5 stars. Lois Greiman continues to be funny as all heck, but this one had some issues for me. Chrissy spends half the book going out of her way to be difficult, seemingly just for the sake of being difficult. I had trouble liking her at all. The end helped a bit, and I'll continue reading the series....but l hope Chrissy is redeemed in the next novel.
Maria
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story is really enticing. It had me guessing until the very end. I did find myself getting frustrated with Chrissy at times, though. She lies so much and kind just keeps dragging out the problem, but maybe the author wants us as irritated at her as her love interest does! Sort of builds some degree of sympathy for the otherwise seemly rude detective!
D. Domain
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Mystery & ChickLit
Shelves: reviewed
I inhaled this book in a day and a half.

Lordy, I don't even remember the last book I read that had me laughing this hard! Ms. Greiman has comic genius. Christy McMullen is just about the most love-able, bumbling, amateur sleuth I have ever had the pleasure to read about. I am so glad the author is making this a series.
Bianca
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a pretty good follow up, but I'm gonna need a little something more to stay in the series, hopefully the next one is better. There's also chrissy's descriptions of her friend Elaine that makes me think maybe she's in love with her the way she's always waxing poetic about her beauty and brains.
Cmkage
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, suspense
I enjoyed the book very much. Chrissy is a complete nutcase, but she's very entertaining. The book would have been even better if there had been less internal musings and more Rivera. Still, I'm looking forward to the next part in the series.
Jenn
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This series has a lot of potential and I will keep reading - they are an amusing distraction from the snow . . . Another screwball mystery from Greimans and although some other authors do this better, I will stick with the series because it will get better.
Tera
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok so these books have been somewhat hard to get into. But the character dialect is hilarious and so worth the fight through the first couple of chapters. She is constantly making me laugh with her main character.
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Well, Chrissy is at it again. I can't believe the amount of lies she tells Rivera and expects to get away with. Luckily the story is fun, because she really is TSTL and as long as I'm just in the mood for fluff, this series seems to work for me.
Janice
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This book, second in the series, is a fun and funny read. Chrissy is a psychotherapist, one who is pretty kooky, herself. The mystery she becomes embroiled in is entertaining too, but the book is carried more by the crazy characters. I will continue this series.
Didi Sotubo
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and Chrissy is very funny, But i really hate how she talks and thinks about about JD. About half way through the first book it started to get annoying but through this book i hated it and i felt like slapping her but that obviously is not possible.

• A is for Apple (Sophie Green Mysteries Book 3)
  • No Such Thing As A Good Blind Date (A Brandy Alexander Mystery #2)
  • Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #4)
  • Poisoned by Gilt
  • High Anxiety (Crazy, #3)
  • The Stiff and the Dead (Pauline Sokol Mystery #2)
  • Bobbie Faye's (kinda, sorta, not exactly) Family Jewels (Bobbie Faye, #2)
  • Living the Vida Lola (Lola Cruz Mystery, #1)
  • Change of Heart (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #6)
  • A Date You Can't Refuse
  • Fruit of the Poisoned Tree (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #2)
  • Mama Gets Hitched (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #3)
Born on a North Dakota cattle ranch, Lois Greiman graduated from a high school class of sixty students before moving to Minnesota where she professionally trained and showed Arabian Horses for several years. Since that time she's been a high fashion model, a fitness instructor, and a veterinary assistant. But an incurable case of writing fever put a stop to all those occupations.

Since selling her

A Chrissy McMullen Mystery (10 books)
  • Unzipped (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #1)
  • Unscrewed (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #3)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #4)
  • One Hot Mess (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #5)
  • Not One Clue (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #6)
  • Uncorked (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #7)
  • Unleashed (Chrissy McMullen, #8)
  • Unhinged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #9)
  • Unsweetened (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #10)
“Not surprisingly, the kitchen was the most interesting, but only because I discovered a package of Oreos in the cupboard.” 9 likes
“I froze like a startled bunny. Fumbling the disk into my purse, I cut my eyes toward the hallway.

Had I locked the front door?

Of course I had. Only a moron would break into someone’s house and forget to lock the door.

Damn it! I’d forgotten to lock the door.”
7 likes