Start by marking “The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything (Starting With Shakespeare and Dickens)” as Want to Read:

* What if you were suddenly granted the ability to DOWNLOAD and INSTALL vast sums of knowledge into your brain...

* What would you learn if you discovered your memory bank wasn't a tiny cupboard but was in fact an enormous warehouse?

* How many pub quizzes would you win if you CRAMMED THAT WAREHOUSE chock full of facts and figures?

* How many people could you impress with
Published April 17th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything

Start your review of The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything (Starting With Shakespeare and Dickens)
Manuel Antão
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Poetry memorization (NOT!): "The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything (Starting With Shakespeare and Dickens)" by Lewis Smile

I’m well aware of the fact the trend in education today is to get away from rote memory. The students are to learn by doing and by understanding concepts. Some of the teachers I know would not even use the word “memory”, not until I really pin them down, anyway.

Of course, trying to help a student learn
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, read "Moonwalking With Einsten" to learn how to build your memory palace (it's an awesome read and anyone can do it). Then you'll benefit the most from this book. I read this in two sittings and can now recite all 37 of Shakespeare's plays and 20 of Charles Dickens' novels in chronological order - forwards and backwards.

It's kinda useless knowledge, but the skill is what's important. Now I can memorize lists I really want to know - like the order of the books of the Bible, the presidents
Chadi Raheb
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So I "knew" the concept of mind/memory palace from some short explanations on youtube & ted talk but NOT always knowledge is enough! I never actually "felt" that concept till I read this book. Thanks to two great comprehensive examples, I can now say that I totally get it & can use it.

As a nutshell definition, it's about recalling things organised & especially in order. Since the brain cannot deal greatly with dry data, we've got to do it with spatial 3-D images in our head. And
Tony
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good place to go if you are interested in just the one memory technique and wish to do the same exercise over and over. However, there are better memory books out there for your money - which will show you different techniques for different situations!
Nabeel Hassan
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find it a very good technique to help anyone to memorize as maximum he can, I get to the technique as I was reading learning how to learn book by Barbara Oakley.

You can read it in two to three hours as maximum and benefit from it.
Shalini Raakendra
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolute delight to read.

I had quite some fun with this one. What's even better is that it helped me learn new techniques to remember things better. Following these methods and ones that you are more familiar with and are comfortable definitely will help in mastering your own mind. I don't usually give a 5 star to things. The reason I'm giving this book a rating this high is because I can't think of point where I didn't enjoy it. I'm weird that way. Love mind exercises. I'd definitely recommend
Mari
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: memory
I read this book as part of my journey to train my memory. I have a condition that makes remembering things (short term and long term) a challenge. This book restored my confidence that one can build an outstanding memory and not rely on having good genes for it.

The author walks readers through a technique to memorize the titles of Shakespeare's plays in the order they were written. I had to adapt it slightly to fit my neighborhood (you'll have to read it to understand that, I'm afraid), but it
Charity
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've heard it's better to read "Moonwalking With Einstein" before reading this book. Why? I'm trudging through the former at the moment and it's mostly unnecessary information one doesn't need in order to put the Memory Palace into practice. This simple, straightforward book teaches you how to do it, gives you one fully-blown example, and another kick-starter, and lets you go from there. I learned the titles of Shakespeare's plays in under an hour (in the order he wrote them) and the same with ...more
Duncan
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
As a concise demonstration of a powerful memory technique, this book is useful and interesting.

For me, a great weakness is that I have absolutely no desire to memorise Shakespeare's plays, which meant I found myself skimming through and couldn't really be bothered to try applying the technique using the author's example, which occupies most of the book.

This problem may have been unavoidable, of course, since there is probably no list of information that everyone, or even almost everyone, might
Gabrielle Higgins
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am dyslexic and suffer with poor short term and sequential memory. After reading this I now know all 37 Shakespeare plays and 20 Charles Dickens titles in chronological order.

A fantastic introduction to mind/memory palaces. I am dyslexic so remembering singular pieces of information (especially in order) is almost impossible for me as I struggle badly with sequential memory. This book teaches you how to make the details you want to remember visual which has helped me immensely. I am now going
Kevin
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
The "memory palace" technique isn't anything new, but I liked this author's attempt at teaching it through the use of humor and outlandish visuals. While I liked some of the more modern references (like Ron Weasley), there were quite a few I had more difficulty picturing (such as Richard Gere).

All in all, I felt like it did a good job with showing how the technique works.
Lucas Carlson
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great short read

Not a definitive guide to memory palaces, but a simple and straightforward exposition of what's possible using modern memory techniques. Worked for me! Might not work well for you if you are not good at special memory.
Tim
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy smokes!

That was a lot of fun. Now if I can just remember to use it...

But seriously, this was one of the most enjoyable hours I have had in a long time.
Cheryl Scott
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear, Effective Intro to the Memory Palace Technique

This type of memory system is very useful for lists of information. The only challenge is coming up with imagery that is both relevant to the item to be remembered and sufficiently wild. Despite the author's assurance that there is nothing wrong with our imaginations, I'm guessing he took quite a while coming up with all of the memorable images for the main example here, the plays of William Shakespeare, in chronological order. Yes, this is a
Yuriy
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Promising book that does not deliver

The book starts with a very interesting chapter in which the author is explaining the mechanics of the memorization method he proposes, but when he starts the exercise with memorization of Shakespeare plays, then Charles Dickens, it simply becomes a waste of time to continue reading the book. I think every reader will understand the concept and the instructions behind this memorization method. We do not need to go through the author's path of memorization of
Bernard
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This book shows quickly and easily the technique of memory palaces. You read through a remarkably short book, and suddenly you know the names of all of Shakespeare's plays, forward and backward.

While I don't really care about those plays one way or the other, the technique used to memorize them is valuable to those who want to quickly understand memory palaces and how to use them. Those who are fine with the theory, but need one really good practical example to master the technique.

This is a
Adam Chatfield
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A good theory for engaging your brain when it comes to trying to remember any given set pieces of information. As other reviewers have mentioned, I found myself flicking towards the end rather than than taking everything in as I didn't have much desire to be able to recall all of the plays, but I did really enjoy how the story creation adds to understanding how our brains retain information, and it was an enjoyable story!

Alejandro Cabral
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick, effective, delivers whats promised

Which is exactly what I look for in this type of books. The technique is simple to learn, and the author doesn’t waste any time giving you too much historics or unnecessary context. This is not a theory book, but rather a 100% practical one.

Loved it!
OCTAVIO FRANCISCO
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great way to improve your memory

I learned everything on a school in a hard way: with boring repetition.

As I became old the old method became unbearable and zi found hard to remember newly learned things. However, my job demands me to learn new stuff continually so this book was the answer to my prayers.

You will enjoy learning how to memorize with this book.
Tammy C.
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for those that need memory organization

This book ran me through how to organize information for easy recall later. It needs to be intentional, but it can be fun and wacky, whatever gets you to remember the information. Thank you for sharing this method!
Shawn Mcdowell
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Memory Palace

This ebook makes learning anything easier than I had expected. I like the way the author presents the material and how to use it for anything that you are wanting to learn.
Alberto Loredo
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is just the first stage for me. I loved this book not only for its method (its amazing as well) but its easiest way to apply the memory palace. ...more
Nicholas
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple intro to the process

It's a simple intro into the memory palace technique and it works. I'm looking forward to learning more and applying it in the future.
HK
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exciting experience

One that takes u thru the process of building mind palace.. u will not know when u learned this art and u will be a master.
Becca Dragnett
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
great exercise for a long plane ride... not much else besides a practical step by step.
Meliodas Meliodas
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly informative and very summarised
DebsD
Apr 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
An article, stretched to the length of a short book. The memory technique is sound, but it didn't need 64 pages to explain it.
Tracy
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and easy to understand technique. An engaging read.

So far I seem to have retained the information - I guess I will find out if the memories withstand the test of time.
Steve Long
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Memorized all Shakespeare and Dickens's work.
Anson Ng
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
quite useful. i thought memory palace was BS before.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
  • Memory Craft: Improve your memory using the most powerful methods from around the world
  • The Memory Code
  • The Memory Book: The Classic Guide to Improving Your Memory at Work, at School, and at Play
  • 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot
  • Remember, Remember
  • Learning How to Learn: How to Succeed in School Without Spending All Your Time Studying; A Guide for Kids and Teens
  • Raumschiff ORION - Planet außer Kurs
  • The Virgin Way: Everything I Know About Leadership
  • Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential
  • Hijackers (Red Angel Series, #3)
  • The Norse Myths: A Guide to the Gods and Heroes
  • Red Angel (Red Angel Series, #1)
  • Raiders (Red Angel Series, #2)
  • Red Angel: Coup d'etat (Red Angel Series Book 5)
  • Tommy Robinson Enemy of the State
“The more you know, the more connections you can make. The more you know, the more you can know. Your foundations are greater. The more knowledge you have in your head onto which you can hang new information, the easier it will be to learn new things.” 1 likes
“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin” 0 likes