Start by marking “The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything (Starting With Shakespeare and Dickens)” as Want to Read:

* What if you were suddenly granted the ability to DOWNLOAD and INSTALL vast sums of knowledge into your brain...

* What would you learn if you discovered your memory bank wasn't a tiny cupboard but was in fact an enormous warehouse?

* How many pub quizzes would you win if you CRAMMED THAT WAREHOUSE chock full of facts and figures?

* How many people could you impress with you
Published April 17th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything

Start your review of The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything (Starting With Shakespeare and Dickens)
Manuel Antão
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Poetry memorization (NOT!): "The Memory Palace - Learn Anything and Everything (Starting With Shakespeare and Dickens)" by Lewis Smile

I’m well aware of the fact the trend in education today is to get away from rote memory. The students are to learn by doing and by understanding concepts. Some of the teachers I know would not even use the word “memory”, not until I really pin them down, anyway.

Of course, trying to help a student learn
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, read "Moonwalking With Einsten" to learn how to build your memory palace (it's an awesome read and anyone can do it). Then you'll benefit the most from this book. I read this in two sittings and can now recite all 37 of Shakespeare's plays and 20 of Charles Dickens' novels in chronological order - forwards and backwards.

It's kinda useless knowledge, but the skill is what's important. Now I can memorize lists I really want to know - like the order of the books of the Bible, the presidents
Chadi Raheb
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So I "knew" the concept of mind/memory palace from some short explanations on youtube & ted talk but NOT always knowledge is enough! I never actually "felt" that concept till I read this book. Thanks to two great comprehensive examples, I can now say that I totally get it & can use it.

As a nutshell definition, it's about recalling things organised & especially in order. Since the brain cannot deal greatly with dry data, we've got to do it with spatial 3-D images in our head. And that'd do the be
Tony
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good place to go if you are interested in just the one memory technique and wish to do the same exercise over and over. However, there are better memory books out there for your money - which will show you different techniques for different situations!
Nabeel Hassan
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find it a very good technique to help anyone to memorize as maximum he can, I get to the technique as I was reading learning how to learn book by Barbara Oakley.

You can read it in two to three hours as maximum and benefit from it.
Shalini Raakendra
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolute delight to read.

I had quite some fun with this one. What's even better is that it helped me learn new techniques to remember things better. Following these methods and ones that you are more familiar with and are comfortable definitely will help in mastering your own mind. I don't usually give a 5 star to things. The reason I'm giving this book a rating this high is because I can't think of point where I didn't enjoy it. I'm weird that way. Love mind exercises. 🙈😂 I'd definitely recomme
Mari
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: memory
I read this book as part of my journey to train my memory. I have a condition that makes remembering things (short term and long term) a challenge. This book restored my confidence that one can build an outstanding memory and not rely on having good genes for it.

The author walks readers through a technique to memorize the titles of Shakespeare's plays in the order they were written. I had to adapt it slightly to fit my neighborhood (you'll have to read it to understand that, I'm afraid), but it
Duncan
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
As a concise demonstration of a powerful memory technique, this book is useful and interesting.

For me, a great weakness is that I have absolutely no desire to memorise Shakespeare's plays, which meant I found myself skimming through and couldn't really be bothered to try applying the technique using the author's example, which occupies most of the book.

This problem may have been unavoidable, of course, since there is probably no list of information that everyone, or even almost everyone, might
Charity
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've heard it's better to read "Moonwalking With Einstein" before reading this book. Why? I'm trudging through the former at the moment and it's mostly unnecessary information one doesn't need in order to put the Memory Palace into practice. This simple, straightforward book teaches you how to do it, gives you one fully-blown example, and another kick-starter, and lets you go from there. I learned the titles of Shakespeare's plays in under an hour (in the order he wrote them) and the same with D ...more
Gabrielle Higgins
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am dyslexic and suffer with poor short term and sequential memory. After reading this I now know all 37 Shakespeare plays and 20 Charles Dickens titles in chronological order.

A fantastic introduction to mind/memory palaces. I am dyslexic so remembering singular pieces of information (especially in order) is almost impossible for me as I struggle badly with sequential memory. This book teaches you how to make the details you want to remember visual which has helped me immensely. I am now going
Kevin
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
The "memory palace" technique isn't anything new, but I liked this author's attempt at teaching it through the use of humor and outlandish visuals. While I liked some of the more modern references (like Ron Weasley), there were quite a few I had more difficulty picturing (such as Richard Gere).

All in all, I felt like it did a good job with showing how the technique works.
Lucas Carlson
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great short read

Not a definitive guide to memory palaces, but a simple and straightforward exposition of what's possible using modern memory techniques. Worked for me! Might not work well for you if you are not good at special memory.
Tim
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy smokes!

That was a lot of fun. Now if I can just remember to use it...

But seriously, this was one of the most enjoyable hours I have had in a long time.
د.أمجد الجنباز
يتكلم الكاتب عن طريقة واحدة من طرق الذاكرة المعروفة.
في هذه الطريقة يقوم الشخص بربط الاشياء برحلة في مكان تعرفه جيدا (مدينتك، طريق العمل، منزلك.... الخ) وبالتالي ستحفظها بالترتيب.
Yuriy
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Promising book that does not deliver

The book starts with a very interesting chapter in which the author is explaining the mechanics of the memorization method he proposes, but when he starts the exercise with memorization of Shakespeare plays, then Charles Dickens, it simply becomes a waste of time to continue reading the book. I think every reader will understand the concept and the instructions behind this memorization method. We do not need to go through the author's path of memorization of t
Cheryl Scott
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear, Effective Intro to the Memory Palace Technique

This type of memory system is very useful for lists of information. The only challenge is coming up with imagery that is both relevant to the item to be remembered and sufficiently wild. Despite the author's assurance that there is nothing wrong with our imaginations, I'm guessing he took quite a while coming up with all of the memorable images for the main example here, the plays of William Shakespeare, in chronological order. Yes, this is a
Abhishek Upadhyay
Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder

This book is not exactly how to book for mind palace but it was like observing master at work and you are his understudy. After reading this book and with help of few apps i love making memory palace and connecting various elements is like having a cartoon channel in my head, all cartoon shows in the childhood are now being helpful.
I will recommend this book only for those who like to see things done and figure out the method by themselves. Not for those who w
Karina
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, I do love a book that makes me feel clever

I really enjoyed the way this book was written. Funny and engaging and most importantly- highly effective! I picked up the book this morning, memorised the 37 plays of Shakespeare, walked my dog (whilst checking I had remembered all the plays, I did). Came home and memorised the 20 novels of Charles Dickens. Then topped it off by learning the 7 ancient wonders of the world using my bookcase and the 10 longest rivers in the world using my fridge
Bernard
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This book shows quickly and easily the technique of memory palaces. You read through a remarkably short book, and suddenly you know the names of all of Shakespeare's plays, forward and backward.

While I don't really care about those plays one way or the other, the technique used to memorize them is valuable to those who want to quickly understand memory palaces and how to use them. Those who are fine with the theory, but need one really good practical example to master the technique.

This is a use
Bruno Barcellos
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Livro curto, bem introdutório no assunto. Basicamente é um capítulo discutindo a técnica e dois capítulos de exemplos (ensinando a decorar nomes das peças de shakespeare e livros do Dickens), que são até legais, apesar de um pouquinho machista.

O principal problema para mim fica na falta de uma bibliografia e citações mais trabalhada, dando legitimação ao texto. E seria excelente se o autor passasse um exemplo de como utilizar a técnica para aprender coisas menos organizadas - que a ordem cronoló
Adam Chatfield
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A good theory for engaging your brain when it comes to trying to remember any given set pieces of information. As other reviewers have mentioned, I found myself flicking towards the end rather than than taking everything in as I didn't have much desire to be able to recall all of the plays, but I did really enjoy how the story creation adds to understanding how our brains retain information, and it was an enjoyable story!

Alejandro Cabral
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick, effective, delivers whats promised

Which is exactly what I look for in this type of books. The technique is simple to learn, and the author doesn’t waste any time giving you too much historics or unnecessary context. This is not a theory book, but rather a 100% practical one.

Loved it!
Octavio
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great way to improve your memory

I learned everything on a school in a hard way: with boring repetition.

As I became old the old method became unbearable and zi found hard to remember newly learned things. However, my job demands me to learn new stuff continually so this book was the answer to my prayers.

You will enjoy learning how to memorize with this book.
Tammy C.
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for those that need memory organization

This book ran me through how to organize information for easy recall later. It needs to be intentional, but it can be fun and wacky, whatever gets you to remember the information. Thank you for sharing this method! ❤️
Shawn Mcdowell
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Memory Palace

This ebook makes learning anything easier than I had expected. I like the way the author presents the material and how to use it for anything that you are wanting to learn.
HK
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exciting experience

One that takes u thru the process of building mind palace.. u will not know when u learned this art and u will be a master.
Khadija
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Astonished!

I had no idea I was capable of remembering and retaining so many facts and in their order. It is really unbelievable.
Tracy
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and easy to understand technique. An engaging read.

So far I seem to have retained the information - I guess I will find out if the memories withstand the test of time.
Steve Long
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Memorized all Shakespeare and Dickens's work. ...more
Anson Ng
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
quite useful. i thought memory palace was BS before.

• Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
  • The Memory Code
  • How to Develop a Brilliant Memory Week by Week: 52 Proven Ways to Enhance Your Memory Skills
  • Remember It!: The Names of People You Meet, All of Your Passwords, Where You Left Your Keys, and Everything Else You Tend to Forget
  • Learn Like Einstein: Memorize More, Read Faster, Focus Better, and Master Anything With Ease… Become An Expert in Record Time (Accelerated Learning)
  • The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • A Mosaic Palace Freemasonry and the Art of Memory
  • How to Make an Awesome Mind Palace: A Crash Course to a Better Memory
  • Mnemonics Memory Palace. Book One And Two.: The Forgotten Craft Of Memorizing And Memory Improvement With Total Recall (How To Build a Mnemonics Memory Palace 3)
  • Mind The Memory Palace: Learn To Memorize Anything
  • How to Be a Man: (and other illusions)
  • Slash
  • Mind Palace - How to Memorize & Surmise Like Sherlock Holmes
  • The Decision: Overcoming Today's BS for Tomorrow's Success
  • Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age
  • The Relentless Courage of a Scared Child: How Persistence, Grit, and Faith Created a Reluctant Healer